do you also get ad of a such a book in aw?

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
recently i've been seeing this ad on aw.

it says, can a gay person change? with the help of hugh hefner and jesus christ?

does anyone else also see this? is this some virus?

Last edited:

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
...not that there is anything wrong with that.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone get the ad in question or is it a virus? It says it's a memoir.

I can't install any adblock unfortunately, since I work on office laptop. Thus, I asked.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
recently i've been seeing a gay ad on aw.

it says, can a gay person change? with the help of hugh hefner and jesus christ?

does anyone else also see this? is this some virus?

Where on the page are you see the banner?

My memory's a little fuzzy, but if I recall correctly some of the ads here are vetted by the Medievalist and others are automatically generated. This sounds like one of the automatically generated ones, and those are usually triggered by keywords and difficult to control. :(

I can't say I've ever seen an ad like that though. Is it just a banner or does it take up the whole screen? Are you able to take a screenshot and upload it to a website like imgur.com?

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it a few times, too. I think it's a random ad thing?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
The ads you see are a result of search data and cookies (and other internet gunk) stored on your computer. Right now, I get cell service ads because I searched for my mobile carrier last night. If I hit OKCupid, I get dating sites. After searching for elements of the Hearthstone game, I got Hearthstone ads. And every friggin site I visit that has sidebar ads is showing me what's on sale at BetaBrand because I bought a jacket there.

In case you didn't know: this is how the internet makes money. They track what you do and show you ads based on your behavior. Google, Yahoo, and the rest of the internet wouldn't exist without them.

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen that ad.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Thanks shakeysix. There's a 'Sponsored articles' bar at the bottom of the page right now for me which seems like it's just auto-generating stuff (SKINNY PILLS! SKINNY PILLS! HAIR THINNING! SKINNY PILLS! IPHONES FOR £17! FACELIFTS!) so I'd guess it was a similar ad banner pulled in by keywords, like browsing a topic with the word gay in it.

Haskin's suggestion of adblock is a great idea -- you can right-click to hide that particular ad.

EDIT: Jenn explained the keyword thing a ton better than I did.

The ads you see are a result of search data and cookies (and other internet gunk) stored on your computer. Right now, I get cell service ads because I searched for my mobile carrier last night. If I hit OKCupid, I get dating sites. After searching for elements of the Hearthstone game, I got Hearthstone ads. And every friggin site I visit that has sidebar ads is showing me what's on sale at BetaBrand because I bought a jacket there.

In case you didn't know: this is how the internet makes money. They track what you do and show you ads based on your behavior. Google, Yahoo, and the rest of the internet wouldn't exist without them.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Wherever I open AW, the same ads come up. Even if I open it in my colleague's laptop, the same ad comes.

It doesn't come all the time.
Now the ad says Blog Writing Competition.

First ad is free guide, take your manuscript to market place
below it is 48hrbook.com
then there is 'is your book ready?'
followed by this ad
and below this ad is the trademark warning, a publisher using google ads to solicit your novel...

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Wherever I open AW, the same ads come up. Even if I open it in my colleague's laptop, the same ad comes.

It doesn't come all the time.
Now the ad says Blog Writing Competition.

First ad is free guide, take your manuscript to market place
below it is 48hrbook.com
then there is 'is your book ready?'
followed by this ad
and below this ad is the trademark warning, a publisher using google ads to solicit your novel...
The ad is a result of search data and cookies and stuff on your computer.
I'm not sure why it's bothering you so much, but that's why it's there. If you find it offensive, take a screen shot and send it to medievalist.

My favourite:
newpicture2h.png

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Ah, yeah. I'm fairly sure that ad is auto-generated by Google (I've got the 'Instant Gramar [sic] Checker' ad, which links to googleadservices when hovered over). I was sure those were set by keywords or cookies.

You could drop Medievalist a wee line and ask about it? I imagine she's super busy so it might take her some time to see this thread.

EDIT: Crossposted with jennontheisland! *high fives Jenn* :D

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone.

I mostly get ads of higher education universities.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
by the way, hugh hefner and jesus rarely team up, though they are roughly the same age.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
the ad isn't bothering me, but since it was coming on my colleague's and my laptop, i thought it maybe a virus.

AXULAoFAIP4E1C0IBAKB+BNQtyAQCATiT0DdgkD+30bBKBgFQwkQU28BALICYDNMOhCAAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hugh Jesus rides my motorbike.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Google ads. No biggie. NOT virus. AW has google ads...they do not choose what they are.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think Google must just be making a judgement call on your sexuality. No biggie.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
PS: Nobody should let either Hugh OR Jesus talk them out of being gay. Jesus would never try to talk you out of it, anyway. And Hugh no longer really understands the whole ImAliveness of himself...probably not a very good go-to person for personal advice.