historical fiction agents

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Getting an agent is hard - especially for an unpublished novelist.

Argh. Yeah, and getting published is hard without an agent. WTF? :Shrug:

But,
I have found more than a few who say they want HF specify after queries or even asking for partials they prefer HR or female MCs.

since I write romance, and recently had a bit of an angsty moment that I'm more romantic historical than historical romance, things seem to be looking up.

Thanks, donroc!

Viking

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levraphael.com
Historical Romance

From what I've seen, heard, and read HR is a much easier sell than literary historical or even commercial historical unless the latter is a thriller.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Went out and bought Writers' and Artists' Year book 2009. Cost Euro19.99

I will start with UK and Irish agents (there are only 3 agents in Ireland, I think).

Thanks for everyone's input.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
What is HR?
Historical Realism?
Hectic Rastafarianism?
Hillbilly Roustabouts?
Happy Readers?

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
List of HF authors

Historical Romance was my interpretation. It's on my brain though.

:poke: Yes, of course, how stupid of me !

I now need to compile a short list of established contemporary authors of Historical Fiction (to pick out agents who might be interested). So far, I have:

Candice Robb
Philippa Gregory
Peter Tremain
Alyss Clare
Lindsey Davis
Ellis Peters
Bernard Cornwell
C. S. Forrester
Elizabeth Chadwick
Philip Gibbs
Tracy Chevalier
Deborah Moggach
Caleb Carr
Wilbur Smith
George Shipway
Patrick O'Brian
Alexander Kent
Robert Harris
Jean Plaidy
Margaret Drabble
Philip(?) Susskind

Who have I missed? With apologies to any HF authors who may have been inadvertantly excluded. If you're not on my list, please feel free to say so. The omission was entirely due to my Alzheimers !

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
There's...

Yes, HR = Hist Romance.

I feel for you, Viking, my 'great literary' :) historical novel, told from multiple view points, is now being edited yet again. My editor/assessors are firm that editing it to the MC's 1st POV makes it much more marketable.

That's something too, euclid. It's not the American way and I'm sure the Americans will jump in to tut tut, but in the UK there are several reputable novel assessors. They are editors, retired editors and have worked in and are still connected to the publishing industry. The readers are published writers. Mine spots for a couple of agencies and can recommend editors to approach! You have to pay, (reasonable fees) unlike the American system of using Beta Readers, but they do know the markets and are without fear or favour when it comes to crits. Beta readers can fail there.

Books.
Rosemary Sutcliff is dead. But her books which were published in the 1950s/60s/70s/80s are still in print. She was, like Dorothy Dunnet, one of the writers who made the historical novel what it is.
Also I've just discovered John Biggins (brilliant Austro-Hungarian Empire) and C.J. Sansom - one of Thomas Cromwell's men (Tudor) They are both highly individual writers but have large followings. Worth reading to find out why!

Join the Historical Novel Society and get the quarterly Review which gives you news of the latest historicals. Their Journal is full of interest and often has editors and publishers talking about their wants and interests historical.

Subscribe to 'The Writer's News' and 'Writing' magazine. They are UK Based but do deal with Irish publishers and journals. W's News deals in markets and publishers and is so useful. 'Writing' is full of good advice for writers. Check out the website: www.writersnews.co.uk

Often it's simply knowledge of the publishing system, as well as luck, and, of course, a well written novel, that gets you published.

Last edited:

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
I now need to compile a short list of established contemporary authors of Historical Fiction (to pick out agents who might be interested).

Who have I missed?

A few more, off the top of my head...

Steven Pressfield
Steven Saylor
Colleen McCullough
Jeff Shaara
Michael Curtis Ford
Ken Follett (well, with Pillars and World Without End...)

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Caleb Carr and Peter Tremayne's agents were in the list I posted. Jean Plaidy is, of course, dead, but her estate is represented in the States by E.lizabeth W.inick at M.cIntosh and Otis, a very old and reputable firm. EW just signed one of our fellows AWers and asked to see a partial of mine after I already got representation, so she's definitely looking. I tried to figure out who Dorothy Dunnett's agent had been, without much success, but I thought it might be V.ivienne S.chuster at C.urtis B.rown in London. Tracy Chevalier is represented there, by J.onny G.eller.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
J.ennifer J.oel represents Caleb Carr and S.chlessiger represents Tremayne.

Maybe we could keep the "who writes historical fiction" stuff out of this thread (there is already another thread with all this info in it) and keep it to talking only about agents? It's usually easy to find all the agents of these people with careful google-fu, so perhaps if you post the author, you could post the agent also, and make it more useful? Maybe the mod could split the other stuff out?

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Mea Culpa

J.ennifer J.oel represents Caleb Carr and S.chlessiger represents Tremayne.

Maybe we could keep the "who writes historical fiction" stuff out of this thread (there is already another thread with all this info in it) and keep it to talking only about agents? It's usually easy to find all the agents of these people with careful google-fu, so perhaps if you post the author, you could post the agent also, and make it more useful? Maybe the mod could split the other stuff out?

My fault, Lucy, sorry. I had no idea there was another thread...where is the other thread? What is Google-fu? (I know what google is, what's fu?)

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
That other thread

You could try this thread:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34192&highlight=favorite

I think it's a worthwhile discussion that might even merit being stickied.

Hi lkp,

I had a look at that thread. It had a slightly different focus from the current one. It is a discussion of favorites; here, I was trying to come up with a short list of contemporary HF novelists (i.e. still on the shelves) so as to identify their agents and target them with my query. Very unromantic and materialistic, I'm afraid.

I looked up CC Humphreys on Google and found the following list (I think these may qualify as HF novelists):

Iain Gale
Martin Stephen
Tim Severin
James McGee
Paul Doherty
Edward Marston
Simon Scarrow
Julian Stockwin
Conn Iggulden
John Wilcox
Dewey Lambdin
Jim Hougan
Stephen Hunter

How do any of you find time to write? What with reading, AW postings, beta reading, sending out queries etc. etc. When I am writing, I try to do 2,000 words per day (in about 6 hours). When I do get back to my WIP, I won't have much time for AW posting.

Of course, it almost goes without saying that AW has been a fantastic help to me so far.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Bio

Of course, it almost goes without saying that AW has been a fantastic help to me so far.

I should have added: thanks to you for your helpful postings and advice.

I looked at my crusade novel to see if I could rewite it in the first person, but I think it's not possible (thank heaven!) becuase I have two POV's.

I have been working on my query letter. Found a very useful 12 page posting in FAQ by Andrew Jameson and tried to follow his instructions. My biggest problem is that my bio is weak. I have no special qualifications for writing HF, just an abiding passion for it and lots of research (history books and the web). I am not young, and this is my first book. I do have a LOT of energy and enthusiasm (and (unfounded?) optimism). I do also have a second WIP (set in Berlin during WWII) which is 40% written and a good idea for number 3. My writing credits so far: I have written 28 short stories, 7 of which have been published (in obscure magazines) and/or won prizes.

As you can see, I'm really good with parentheses.

I am related to a real historical character: I am a grand nephew of Thomas MacDonagh. Thomas was one of the leaders of the Irish rising of Easter 1916; he was one of the signatories of the proclamation of Irish independence and was executed by the British, after a summary court martial, in May 1916. He was my mother's uncle. (She was born in June 1916) I don't suppose I can use this to bolster my bio ??

:e2shower:

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Only if...

I don't suppose I can use this to bolster my bio ??

you are writing about the 'Irish problem'!

There are prizes for 1st novels from the over 60s! The baby boomers are in their 60s.

The Crusades are getting to be flavour of the month so get your novel polished and out to publishers/agents.

Stop fussing and get on with your writing. I reckon you've reached the perfect moment in your life to start. You've got tons of life experience, you are listening to advice and learning from it (that is so rare in a writer!) and you are studying how the publishing process works.

Why are you worried? You've actually got all the pluses on your side. Get on with your writing and drop back to visit when you've got bits of writing needing a crit (that's in SYW - Share Your Work - higher up the board.) and drop in to say 'hello', once a week!

Happy writing.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Irish problem?

you are writing about the 'Irish problem'!

No, pdr, I'm not. If I'm writing anything other than HF, I'm writing (obliquely) about the Middle Eastern conflict.

Book 2 is about WWII

About "polishing" the book, how do you know when to stop?

Thanks for the encouragement.

AnneWhitfield

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annewhitfield.com
Elizabeth Chadwick's agency is Blake Freidman in the UK and their client list has been full for ages, but it doesn't hurt to try.
I heard this New York agent is looking for historical submissions.
Daniel Lazar from Writers House.
I am actively seeking new clients.
** Queries by email or regular mail with SASE. (Email is usually faster, but either is fine.)
** Please include the first 5 pages of your manuscript.
** If you email: a) NO attachments; b) if you copy me and every other agent in the industry, save us the time. Politely reject yourself.
** If you mail, no need to send materials double sealed in bubble wrap. It's paper, not anthrax.
** My response time is 1 minute to several weeks.

I look forward to hearing from you. email: [email protected]

More information http://www.writershouse.com/content/home.asp

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Blake Friedmann, Writers House

Elizabeth Chadwick's agency is Blake Freidman in the UK and their client list has been full for ages, but it doesn't hurt to try.
I heard this New York agent is looking for historical submissions.
Daniel Lazar from Writers House.

In The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2009 under Blake Friedmann it says: "Preliminary letter, synopsis and first 2 chapters preferred."

Thanks for the tip about Writers House. Submission sent. Fingers crossed.