The Fellowship Cafe

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI for anyone who may be interested: I posed a few questions to non-believers today on my blog. I'm really curious what others think. It has absolutely nothing to do with writing, though, so please state any thoughts or opinions directly on my blog, not here.

Hope all is well with everyone. No other posts since the 24th? Perhaps we've all been busy writing...:)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Busy, yes. I finally finished my 973 Wales book, which for so long refused to behave. Down, characters! Down! Sent the proposal to my agent, and she's hoping to get it in the hands of my chosen target pubs sometime before ACFW conference comes up in late September. Now I'm back to deciding which project to work on now. Go back to the time-travel series, the next two books of which my agent feels no love for? Or on to the Lukas book that's niggling in my brain?

Decisions, decisions. Think I'll go get a chocolate chip fat bomb and mull some more while I chew.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of my final read-through. I'll do a grammar, -ly, "to be" verbs, etc. check after that, then off to betas.

Let me know if anyone is interested in being a beta for this. This lastest ms is Christian fiction.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, writing. Right now, I have friends and family to beta and would really appreciate fellow writers taking a look at it. I'm close and should be ready within a couple weeks. Still polishing.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Burning as requested.

In August I managed to add 26,300 words to my WIP, a genearl market baseball novel titled In Front of Fifty Thousand Screaming People. A partial is with an agent I met at a conference, who wanted to see it even though it's not done. If I can keep up that pace, I'll finish it around October 10. Two beta readers and my writing group are having a go at it.

NDG

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
How did everyone fare during the hurricane? We lost power for 5 days. We do have a generator for our fridge and freezer, but Comcast also went down so no phone, tv or internet.

We do consider ourselves blessed after seeing the damage and flooding in other areas!

synger

Analysis Paralysis
Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd pipe in here. My WIP deals with the theme of redemption and forgiveness through Christ (though the MC keeps trying to "earn" it all the way through, as he tries to find his wife's murderer). I'm still in the planning stages, using 90-Day Novel as a guide. But it's the most consistent writing I've been able to do in years, so I'm tickled. (I usually write a scene and then can't figure out what to do with it.)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Welcome, Synger, and good on ya for keeping at it. Robin, you were in our thoughts and prayers and I'm sure glad you weren't affected by the flooding like so many others were.

Proposal on the 973 Wales book and series is flying around out there. It's a straight medieval romance, no time travel involved. Nonetheless, one publisher I won't name said to my agent, "We're not taking speculative fiction at this time."

Hello? Duhh? Do these people actually read proposals?

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Well, yeah. Truth is, I'm a bit discouraged at the moment. What if I never sell this series? The cosmos says, eh bien, and is not terribly fussed one way or the other...

Trying to keep a positive attitude, but having some difficulty these days.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
So this is how I spent the weekend of 9/11:

TheOnesLeftStanding.jpg

I'm at the far right, 2nd row up, wearing a red tie.

ThisLandisYourLand.jpg

This is with the children's choir, singing "This Land is Your Land"

We were singing with these guys: Denver and the Mile High Orchestra. It was WONDERFUL.
302585_217795991611898_127989033925928_589549_632438580_n.jpg

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Congratulations, Calla! I know how eagerly you were looking forward to this. Glad it came off so well.

Me, I'm off next week to the ACFW conference. I'll report in afterwards.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
In local news...(just kidding. Sometimes I see myself as a news anchor. Never happen.), Barbara Scott from Abingdon has just jumped from the acquisitions side of the Force to the agenting side. She's joined WordServe with Greg Johnson and Rachelle Gardner.

Sometimes I do wonder about these editor-to-agent news items and the backstory behind 'em. Someday maybe I'll know someone well enough to ask.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Well, WordServe seems to have a full client load with their current two agents. If what we hear about publishers cutting back, or fearful about major cutbacks, then it makes sense for her to make this jump while she can.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I didn't quite clarify what I meant. My bad, not yours. I wonder if there's some backstory with the publisher that makes them want to jump ship into agenting. Is it perceived as easier? less stressful? Do they stand to make a better income? For some of them that make the jump, I wonder if they've really always wanted to do this, and sense that now, with things so very busy changing all around us, is the time. Just curious.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm still on the ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) mailing list and the following just hit my inbox:

The CBA (Christian Booksellers Association--highly respected entity within the industry) sent out a warning today that the company Publish America is "contacting Christian authors and telling them that they have a contract with CBA that will go public next week. According to a CBA contact, Publish America demands $49 to get on a list and in a catalogue that Publish America is giving to CBA and CBA will submit this list of authors/catalogue to all CBA members and because of this alleged contract the CBA member stores will buy from the authors listed." The "promotion" is supposedly in conjunction with the upcoming Christian Store Week.

CBA encouraged us to warn our authors that this is a scam. It is not in any way a legitimate agreement with CBA.
:yessmiley

Go, ACFW! Go, CBA! Die, PA, die!