Middling It

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my middling news always comes at the end of an email letting me know that I've been passed up. :)

Hi kd. Do you mean "passed up" as in reaching the next level ("they passed my story up the editorial ladder")?

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Hi kd. Do you mean "passed up" as in reaching the next level ("they passed my story up the editorial ladder")?

I have usually been notified by email, as with W@ylines this morning.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, that's not middling - that's braggage! Conrats! I'll try to take a look at it this weekend.
Oh, thanks! I figured since it was a byproduct of a story sale, and not a sale itself, it didn't count for much more than an "oh, neat!" And good luck on your second round bump! I LOVE Waylines just for their visual presentation alone. They quickly went from interesting fledgling to one of my top markets.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thanks! I figured since it was a byproduct of a story sale, and not a sale itself, it didn't count for much more than an "oh, neat!"

Don't hesitate to brag. Haven't you seen some of the random nonsense I've bragged about in that thread? :)

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Currently serenaded by 30 crickets. Le sigh. Anyone waiting on Scape? I know Mixer Publshing may take half the year yet, but I'll wait them out. Curious about Scape.

Marzioli, the blog entry was really good. Thanks for sharing.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Marzioli, I enjoyed your blog entry too. Definitely braggage.

Congrats to everyone middling and good luck with the final results!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Currently serenaded by 30 crickets. Le sigh. Anyone waiting on Scape? I know Mixer Publshing may take half the year yet, but I'll wait them out. Curious about Scape.

I've submitted two stories in the past to Scape, one that they liked and held for 62 before giving my a personal rejection, and one that I assume they really didn't like and garnered me a one-day form rejection. So it's kind of all over the place. I'd query if you're past 60 days.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks Sai. I'm at 110, so it's definitely query time! I often worry about the queries, even when the publication invites them.

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else here waiting on Glimmer Train New Writers? There's been some confusing reporting on Duotrope. There was an acceptance posted a week ago, 1 rejection posted two days ago, and there are 50 something still pending (including mine. I checked on the GT site, and it said my story was still "in process.") I know some of those 50 will have been from before Duotrope went $$, but still...
I've seen staggered rejections before from GT, but nothing quite like this. Any thoughts?

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Just found out I've been passed up to the final round for the Dark Visions anthology. That's three bump-ups this month and the anxiety is palpable! Hopefully one of these three will see some glory.

OtterFactory

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else here waiting on Glimmer Train New Writers? There's been some confusing reporting on Duotrope. There was an acceptance posted a week ago, 1 rejection posted two days ago, and there are 50 something still pending (including mine. I checked on the GT site, and it said my story was still "in process.") I know some of those 50 will have been from before Duotrope went $$, but still...
I've seen staggered rejections before from GT, but nothing quite like this. Any thoughts?

In my experience they do a mass reject once the three winners are announced. They release a list of the winners and the finalists, and if you're not on it then it's a rejection. I don't believe I got an e-mail from them.

I haven't submitted to GT in a while, though, so maybe the process has changed. Good luck!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
In my experience they do a mass reject once the three winners are announced. They release a list of the winners and the finalists, and if you're not on it then it's a rejection. I don't believe I got an e-mail from them.

You should be able to go to their submissions page, log in to your personal account, then click "my submissions." If it says "complete" then it's a rejection. They 'complete' subs the week or so before they announce winners.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Just found out I've been passed up to the final round for the Dark Visions anthology. That's three bump-ups this month and the anxiety is palpable! Hopefully one of these three will see some glory.

Fingers and toes crossed for you!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need a nursing home for some of my crickets:

135 days at IGMS
85 days at TM Magazine
85 days at Drabblecast
41 days at Kasma
35 days at F&SF

Plus a bunch of healthy young crickets under 30 days. Because someone needs to staff that nursing home :)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
I need a nursing home for some of my crickets:
135 days at IGMS
85 days at TM Magazine
85 days at Drabblecast
41 days at Kasma
35 days at F&SF

Wow, those are some long times for those markets. Yep, I'd be hitting the refresh button on my e-mail way too often if that was me.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason (hopefully not delusion) I've been having a hopeful feeling today, even as my crickets grow tired of chirping. I'm sure I'll snap (or be snapped) out of it soon, but it's kind of a nice feeling for a change. Chirp all you want, crickets! I can stand it if you can!

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Holy blood pressure, Batman. A fourth story passed up for further consideration this month! This time it's Shimmer doing the bumping. Add that to Apex, Nightfall, and Dark Visions and I'm a mess of nerves.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Holy blood pressure, Batman. A fourth story passed up for further consideration this month! This time it's Shimmer doing the bumping. Add that to Apex, Nightfall, and Dark Visions and I'm a mess of nerves.

Holy Mackerel that's a lot of awesome! *crosses fingers for you*

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score

That's amazing, O'Dandelo. At least you know that whatever the outcome (and I hope it's a good one) your stories are valued. Cheers!