Middling It

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On another note, I'm at 205 days with a sub at IGMS...just waiting to hear back. (Alex, if you're reading this, did they ever reject/accept that story you were also waiting on?)

I'm at about 160 days. I do know that they have my submission but have been running behind due to personal/family issues for some of the senior staff. There are quite a few of us waiting in that submission pile, unfortunately.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
This is, perhaps, sub-middling, but I made it through the first round at ASIM. I realize there are two other rounds ahead of me. Still, better than nothing. :D

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Renewing my middling news with W@ylines.
The editors contacted me last week, interested in the story for the March 1st issue pending rewrites. Got first draft edits back to them but it's still not quite the changes they had in mind. Got a very nice letter last night saying the deadline is too tight so they will pass for this issue but are willing to give it a go for next issue if I'm still game. I'm not sure if we'll find middle ground conceptually or not, but they've been very nice to work with.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
My Middling news is driving me crazy! My first-ever anthology submission is sitting at 85 days. They're supposed to be making final decisions "mid-February 2013". Been having good feelings about this one lately, but getting so close to the deadline is making me nervous. I even checked today's date not to make sure it was February, but to make sure it was February of 2013 :Shrug: I need to take a breath...or two...

Quoting myself, yes, yes I know I'm strange. But this submission is still in limbo and driving me crazy. I'm debating on whether or not I should query once March rolls in. Maybe it's just me being (extremely) nervous.

To query? Or not to query? That is the question. The other question is: does anyone else have a submission at Cruentus Libri for their Another 100 Horrors project?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got a very nice letter last night saying the deadline is too tight so they will pass for this issue but are willing to give it a go for next issue if I'm still game.
So close! I wish you the best of luck on this one. Hopefully the next time we hear of this story it'll be a sale!

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
That's great news, Eliza. I do hope the middle ground works!

And Marzioli - congrats on getting through ASIM first round. Hope it goes all the way!

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Renewing my middling news with W@ylines.
The editors contacted me last week, interested in the story for the March 1st issue pending rewrites. Got first draft edits back to them but it's still not quite the changes they had in mind. Got a very nice letter last night saying the deadline is too tight so they will pass for this issue but are willing to give it a go for next issue if I'm still game. I'm not sure if we'll find middle ground conceptually or not, but they've been very nice to work with.

Wow, Eliza. Thats some pretty fine middling! Congrats!

I just worked out that my EV rejection means I have nothing middling for the first time in a year!! Boooo!

Booo! Sorry to hear, PD. But with your latest successes, I'm sure you'll be middling again (or better) soon. (btw, does this mean you've heard back from C 0bscura?)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Yes Squeaky! I had a classic form rejection a few weeks ago. Damn them for making me hope. Sent them something else straight away to teach them a lesson. :)

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Yes Squeaky! I had a classic form rejection a few weeks ago. Damn them for making me hope. Sent them something else straight away to teach them a lesson. :)

Ha! Next time they'll think twice about rejecting you! Power to the Project!

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Good luck Eliza!

My crickets are driving me batty. Does anyone know about Scape? I'm sitting at 144, no response to a query, and no movement at Duotrope...which I'm still using since the Grinder only tracks fiction, unfortunately, though they say poetry is coming soon. :)

212 at Cricket. *sweats*

Also, when does Shimmer usually send second round bumps? Do they always?

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
212 at Cricket.

Cricket crickets! ;)

Sorry, renard... I do feel your pain. My crickets are driving me batty, too. I'm waiting on four now that are well within d-trope's current response times (sadly, a fifth one chirped its last today). One cricket is sitting at 208. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
Crickets are such terrible beasts!

Hey, does anyone know if Fantasy & Science Fiction send replies via e-mail or post? They only take postal submissions, but do they respond that way, too? Thanks!

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Crickets are such terrible beasts!

Hey, does anyone know if Fantasy & Science Fiction send replies via e-mail or post? They only take postal submissions, but do they respond that way, too? Thanks!

F&SF responds via post.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Good luck Eliza!

My crickets are driving me batty. Does anyone know about Scape? I'm sitting at 144, no response to a query, and no movement at Duotrope...which I'm still using since the Grinder only tracks fiction, unfortunately, though they say poetry is coming soon. :)

212 at Cricket. *sweats*

Also, when does Shimmer usually send second round bumps? Do they always?

From my experience, Shimmer always sends out second round bumps. My first bump was sent at 13 days, and the second was sent at 9 days. For my first bump I waited about another two weeks to hear back. For the second I heard back in about three days (and it was an acceptance!):) Best of luck!

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score

Hopefully you enclosed an SASE with your submission, if not, you won't hear back at all.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Second round bump at Stupefying Stories. Really hoping to sell this piece as we kind of grew up together.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
From my experience, Shimmer always sends out second round bumps. My first bump was sent at 13 days, and the second was sent at 9 days. For my first bump I waited about another two weeks to hear back. For the second I heard back in about three days (and it was an acceptance!):) Best of luck!

No news yet, at the 21 day mark. Half expecting an R, but hoping otherwise!

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me, I'm looking at you O'Dandelo :D, about Shock Totem's possible middling process? Do they tend to send out second round bumps?

To my knowledge they don't notify you of second round bumps. It's a matter of it making it up the chain to all 5 of them, which could take any amount of time. 3 yes votes equals acceptance.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Queried 120 day cricket just now. While I always hope for the best and can never know an editor's taste for sure, there are elements of the story that might not its market. Wondering if an earlier rejection got lost in the electronic ether.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
One of my unofficial goals is to send a story to F&SF each month. Usually they have a really quick turn-around, but a story of mine has been there for 41 days now. So much for sending them a story in February...

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Praise be to the morlocks! A story of mine has made it to the second round for Penumbra's HG Wells issue :).

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Praise be to the morlocks! A story of mine has made it to the second round for Penumbra's HG Wells issue :).

Oh dear. I think I've been praising the wrong overlords. Explains a lot. ;)

Good news, Sai! :)