• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Bunny boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Can i use the term bunny boiler, as the narrator to describe an unseen character? Or is it too obscure or cliche pop reference?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what it means either. I thought you were making a play on "plot bunnies."

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
"Bunny boiler"? No idea what that means, but how can I get my hands on one? There's a certain manic, pole-dancing, blue bunny I'd like to test it on.

Here's a fun fact: I saw this online once and jotted it down, I don't know the source~

Rabbits are lapine.

Others include: cervine (deer), ovine (sheep), equine (horse), caprine (goat), avian (bird), and the one that needs no description: asinine.

:D

Dorky

Registered
Reaction score
I’d say it’s obscure. For reference I’m in my mid-20s. I’m not sure which audience you’re trying to target, but I don’t think many people in my age group will know the term. I could be wrong, but yeah. :Shrug:

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
No idea what that means, but that doesn't preclude me from wanting to get my hands on one to put that lapine pole-dancer out of his/her/its misery.

Here's a fun fact: I saw this online once and jotted it down, I don't know the source~

Rabbits are lapine.

Others include: cervine (deer), ovine (sheep), equine (horse), caprine (goat), avian (bird), and the one that needs no description: asinine.

:D
I'm sensing this is a hurtful post. I'm very intuitive about these things.

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looking at the responses, I think perhaps it's more common in the UK than the US? (Pretty common slang around here, even among the young 'uns who don't know where it comes from)

I think you're right; I'm familiar with it (though I only saw the film in recent years) and was a bit surprised to find that most responders to the OP hadn't come across the term before.

Poor bunny...

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of it (US, though).

I initially read "bunny" as a mistake for "birdie." (Lion King reference. :D )

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Depends what your purpose is in using it. I'm familiar with the term, and vaguely recall it refers to a character who turned a family pet into stew. I haven't seen the film and have utterly zero desire to see it, tbh.

If you need a reference that everyone will get, this isn't it. But there are ways of using references that ensure people will get them.

Frex:

"She's a bunny boiler."
"Oh, come on, she's not stalking you with a stew pan, dude."

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
I know the term very well, I've used it before to describe stalkerish people, too. I've also just used the term "fatal attraction", too. Wouldn't be too obscure for me. *shrug*

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I recognize it, but I'm known for referring to people as "boil-your-bunny-rabbit crazy" so... *shrug*

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. In general reference to a scary/stalker type female.

That's the one. Its a common phrase down our way.

I haven't seen the film, so I'm probably guilty of of using it out of context. The wife once used the term to describe a peculiar check out girl that would scowl at her whilst drawing tiny love hearts on my receipt and asking random questions about me. Guess that line was shortest for a reason.

The gist of the responses here tell me I'll need a better analogy. Back to the drawing board.

Kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.