About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennlindsey

Registered
Reaction score
Amy, so sorry to hear you didn't get Green Living.

It's been a good 2-3 weeks since I applied for Focus on Macs, and no word either way. I'm at least hoping I'll get *some* response at this point!

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth,
I only received feedback after submitting my categories...then after first review, second review, and final review. That is all. Sometimes it was hard to figure out if I was doing things correctly or not. Just make sure you are following your instructor's directions exactly.

I can't remember the number of original content pieces I had, but they were just at the minimum...maybe a few more. I did include some outside links, too.

Again, I am losing my memory a bit... :) but I think by final review I had to have five pieces of content for each category. Not sure if this is the case for all topics.
Good luck!

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Jennlindsey,
It was just over a month before I got my acceptance into prep.
Keeping my fingers crossed you hear good news soon. :)

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the feedback Keath - I don't think I'm as in the dark as I though I was then - Rachel sent me an email after my category, content and blog submissions - reading through the paperwork it sounds there is supposed to be a different note before each review, but I'm guessing that doesn't happen often.

Besides my one piece of content and one blog I have 27 links - 10 of which are About links and 17 are outside - I would like to have at least 5 links in each category by the end and I'm finding alot of material already covered by different guides - now I need to start focusing on getting my own numbers up.

As of this point I've had to scratch my quizzes and polls category because I have no idea how to use the tools - I suppose I could always add it in if I figure out how to use them before final review - the top 40 Guide in music has a ton - part of me want to email him just to see how to do it! :)

artnerd - My prep was scheduled to start the day after Thanksgiving and they sent me an email pushing all the dates back a week - I would expect them to do that around the Christmas holiday as well - they will probably just give an extra week in the middle between reviews if that is where it falls.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Elizabeth, definitely skip the polls and quizzes. I also wouldn't worry about so many links. Your first goal should be to create your own content. Links should only be used to fill in areas where you have no content of your own, or where someone else has more expertise. During prep, I would only use links if you're short on content in a topic or if you have a key area that you just can't cover during the prep period.

I'm not sure why it said you'd get feedback before review. The only feedback I got (in both my prep experiences) were followups from review (and, of course, the initial category/content review)..

My content numbers were original content only, although it did include some smaller content like glossary items.

Christy

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Christy - that is very much going to be my focus for the rest of prep - I was trying to cover the bases of what was on the net, and then when I started writing I found that alot of the first things I was planning on covering had already been done by other guides - so they said to just link to it - so now I'm having to think of creative ways to still cover my topic well without duplicating what has already been done.

I was worried that the number of outside links and those outside About would be too many - but hopefully when I fill in the rest of it with original content it will look complete - that's my goal anyways.

I have an Oprah Quotes category and there are already three articles by other guides - so I went ahead and included those - I almost feeling like there isn't much left to say, so I have to think of something else to fill in there to make the category better. I would like to use the Quick Tip template for monthly quotes from the O magazine - but I don't know if that would be considered a tip or not - I'm still trying to figure the whole template thing out. I seem to be moving heavily towards the Profiles because everything else seems so narrowly focused.

I'm blabbing again...ahh well - all I can do is try my best and the rest is up to them.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
You can use the quick tip category for things besides "tips" - I did, anyway.

Basic things, even if covered by other guides, should still be covered by you. For ex., I wrote about budget lodging options, even though the Budget Travel Guide wrote extensively on this topic, and I gave it a senior slant.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Even if a Guide on another page has created content about your topic, go ahead and create your own version of the content. You can always link to those other folks' pieces as "Suggested Reading". Your best bet is to find a new, fresh way to present things. As an example, your Oprah Quotes category. In addition to just having quotes in there, you could put in content such as "Oprah's Quotes on Success", where you'd have all her quotes about being successful, then another one about "Oprah's Thoughts on Toaster Ovens" or whatnot. That way, you can still use the content other people have covered, but you're presenting it in a way that isn't the same old stuff.

You're far better off putting in your own content that covers stuff in a new way than linking to another guide's content if you can help it. Obviously, during Prep you're limited on how much time you get to create all this stuff, but it's something to think about for the future.

art nerd

nerdy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
supahcute.com
Nancy: thanks for the tidbit. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask for an extended deadline.

Elizabeth: that's good to know. I hope they do push it back at least a few days.

art nerd

nerdy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
supahcute.com
Re: Categories

Did most of you create your categories based on their suggested site outline?

For example, my suggested outline included 11 "major topics to cover." Should I be thinking of more topics? Or concentrate on ways to flesh out each major topic?

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Artnerd - My major topics to cover section was a very general paragraph and I had 8 points on my outline - I used those and then added more. I did make sure to have my categories laid out before prep because I knew that was the first step

Patti - your quote suggestion is awesome - that is a perfect way to create content in that section, since the other 3 are very general. Oprah's thoughts on toaster oven's - that's great stuff - I haven't laughed out loud in a while

Nancy - it is good to know that you used the quick tip - since it's just one page of the 5 page article, it seems like a good template to use for shorter pieces

My first review is tomorrow and I hope to get some feedback - I guess if I can rewrite the content that I have linked to already I can always leave it there for now just in case and then remove the link from the category if I get that much content done.

It's just hard to tell through this whole thing what they're looking for - it's exactly how you all described it - it's weird not knowing who the competition is and where you rank in line with them - I give you all credit for sticking through it, it makes it easier reading what you all went through to know what to expect with each next step!

Writing Mom

Writer and SAHM
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if "customizing cars" is in prep? I applied about 8 weeks ago and haven't heard anything at all.

art nerd

nerdy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
supahcute.com
Elizabeth: thanks for clarifying. Good luck with your first review!

writingmom: From browsing old posts, I haven't seen anyone mention that topic yet.

Writing Mom

Writer and SAHM
Registered
Reaction score
They just advertised the opening when I filled out the application. Do they normally leave it open that long, waiting for applicants?

contempochic

it's not easy being green
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if "customizing cars" is in prep? I applied about 8 weeks ago and haven't heard anything at all.

Hi Writing Mom :)

I know if you've been waiting 8 weeks you can email the About people, and inquire about your application. The FAQ's say this:

"If it's been over eight weeks since you submitted an application to be a Guide, you can use the Customer Care form to find out its current status. Simply select the “Be a Guide” option from the drop down on the message form to get your message to the person in charge of Guide applications."

Following up is ALWAYS a good thing. I actually emailed 3 times about the very first topic I applied for because I never received a confirmation email. I know that's probably a really annoying thing to do, but it got me a response in a matter of days, from Eric no less. I would definitely inquire.

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Remember that just because a topic is in Prep, doesn't mean there is no chance of getting the topic. They will sometimes pick no one at all from a Prep class. So although the odds are lower, you're not automatically out if a Prep is in session.

My own topic had been pulled from the list and then put back on it when I applied. I don't know for sure what happened there, but based on what we've come to recognize, it seems like someone graduated Prep but didn't go live.

Also, if there are few applicants for a position, they'll hold off starting Prep.

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I also agree with Patti about writing your own content, even if it's similar to something another Guide has written, IF it has your own take and is slanted to your specific audience. For example, I have an article up about Flash sweepstakes that links to the Net for Beginners' article about what Flash animation is. But my readers aren't interested just in what Flash is, they want to know about how it connects to Sweepstakes.

The Honeymoons guide has an article with a ton of Vacation Sweepstakes that people could win for honeymoons, and I have no problem with that at all. She also links to my site, but she puts a lot of effort into finding vacations and links it to her other honeymoon-related content, whereas vacations are just one of many types of sweepstakes I offer. I link to her page in my Vacation Sweepstakes category.

So if you can put a spin on an article to make it more relevant for your readers, don't think twice about writing it and linking to other related About content.

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
** De-lurking **

I'm up to about page 35 of this thread, but I wanted to delurk. There's tons of great advice here, which is why I've been reading so diligently. I found out recently that I've been accepted into prep for Petite Fashion, after applying several times for different topics the past couple of years.

How important are credentials once prep starts? I'm asking this because I know someone (not personally, but I know of her) with very strong credentials in this field, stronger than mine. I don't even know if she's in prep, but if she or someone with similar credentials is, do we all start prep with a clean slate? Will stronger credentials matter in helping them make a decision about prep candidates? I plan to do my very best work in all areas, but will my not-as-impressive background hurt me, even if I churn out stellar content? Just curious.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
If your topic is very specific, like Oprah, I wouldn't pay any mind to what other guides have up. You're supposed to be the expert, so feel free to assert that right. My approach is to write the articles my site needs (the core articles) and not worry about what anyone else has written until afterwards. That way, I don't have to worry about inadvertently taking their ideas and I don't have to worry about how I "spin" it. I have a broad topic, so I link to articles from guides who have more expertise than I do. For example, I might write an article about what features to look for in a family printer, but link to the printer guide's list of best family printers.

There are a number of guides who have content that is most appropriate for my site, even though it makes sense for theirs. Like the parenting K-6 guide has an article on the Family Computer (which, to my chagrin, ranks higher than anything on my site for those keywords...). Although it makes sense for her site, it makes more sense for mine, so I wouldn't think twice about putting up a similar article if I needed it. That's why they hired me. =}

Remember that you are paid for PVs, so it doesn't benefit you to link to other articles when you can write your own. The type of articles you may want to link to are things like "How to get tickets to your favorite day time talk show" or "Education for Girls in South Africa" (I don't know if there are articles like that!) or things that are relevant to the topic, but more the focus of another guide.

Two cents!

Christy

contempochic

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Elizabeth! Good Luck to you too!! Let me know how it goes :)

Novelette: I'm glad you delurked :) I was a lurker for awhile too. But everyone here is just too much fun to talk to! I wouldn't worry about your credentials at this point. You got in and that's the important part. You will have a bio page you post, so make sure you talk yourself up there, but I think their main concentration will be the content you produce. Someone could have the greatest credentials in the world, but if they can't relate the information to an audience, the credentials don't mean anything. My take is this: if they were happy enough with your background to let you into Prep, then they are probably happy with your background. If they had no intentions of letting you graduate, why would you have gotten the chance to go for it? Good Luck!! When do you start prep?

contempochic

Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth, guess what! Neither of us are "Esteemed New Members" anymore! Lol, I've been waiting for that!

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Courtney! Everyone here on this thread is so helpful. I start prep December 14 and it lasts through the 31st. I can't believe it's over Christmas! However, I'm clearing my schedule to leave those two weeks completely open for prep.

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
After reading all of your tips on original content, I spent last night making a list of what I would like to include in each category, and if I get it all done it would give me 40 original pieces and only the links that I already have up - I know you all have mentioned the importance of blogs, so I would like to focus on that too since it really is a place to bring out personality in writing.

Hopefully now that all of the paperwork printing and reading and content reviews are out of the way, I can get out a lot more content out each day - and if I get the chance to write an original piece, I can take out some of those links. I know I only have 10 days left of actual writing, I just have so many things I want to do and there isn't enough time - hopefully they can see where I'm headed with the site with what I will have done.

For the current guides - do you all use the templates more in the doc tool or in ACME - I haven't attempted to stray away from the main doc items and I know I need to during prep to show I can use them - hopefully after the review today I will know more what templates I should be using.

Once again I'm getting ahead of myself...

:welcome: Novelette - it looks like you'll be in prep the same time as art nerd - it's helpful having someone go through it at the same time! I'm sure they will give you a break for the holiday - they pushed my entire prep time back a week because it was the day after thanksgiving - I'm sure they won't be working on Christmas either :)

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I typically use the doc templates Article, Profile, How To and Step By Step more than any others. I have a few I've used in ACME -- the list tool I've used a few times -- but honestly, I think the regular templates are just more user friendly.

40 original pieces is an ambitious number, but it can be done. The trick is to balance quality with quantity. I had about 20 full length pieces, plus about 15 glossary items, I think, when I finished Prep, as well as five or six blog entries. It's a lot of work, but it can be done. Focus on your most important stuff first -- things like The Basics of My Topic, or whatever -- and then fill in the rest from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.