Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Scripts, Stage, and Screen > Screenwriting Software Tech Room
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What screenwriting software do you use? (You can select more than one option)
Final Draft 28 43.75%
Movie Magic Screenwriter 13 20.31%
CeltX 21 32.81%
Another script editing program (like Screenwriter Pro) 8 12.50%
Another free editing program or macro (like Scriptsmart) 7 10.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #26
cbenoi1
Travelling around the sun

cbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for President
Blake died in 2009, leaving the software in a state of limbo as nobody is actively promoting it. I have my doubt about support & upgrades.

-cb
cbenoi1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #27
Arcana
practical experience, FTW

Arcana is on a distinguished road
Celt-x was free, which is a big plus for me, and really easy to learn and use. Before I downloaded it, I did a lot of 'industry' research and it was still pretty respectable.
Arcana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
Robert Elisberg
Novelist, screenwriter, and stuff

Robert Elisberg is on a distinguished road
I've written the tech review column for the Writers Guild of America going back about 15 years at this point. Last year, I did a review of screenwriting software -- though it wasn't posted on the WGA website, but rather in my column for the Huffington Post. (The Writers Guild didn't want to be seen endorsing on piece of software over another.)

My preference is Movie Magic Screenwriter. To be clear, as I say in the article, both it and Final Draft -- the two Industry leading software -- are wonderful, and a lot is personal choice. But there are specific reasons that I prefer MMS. You can see the full article by clicking here.

One important point: unless you're working in the film and TV industry and need software that's compatible with others in the office, there's no real need to use something just because it's used in Hollywood. If something works for you, and it's free or cheap, then it's worth using. You can always just save the file as a PDF and send that out to people.

It's also my observation that most people will defend to the death the software they use, claiming it the best and a gift from God. But usually, they haven't used others.

The Wild Roses
Available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle

Robert Elisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #29
Screenwriting
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Screenwriting is on a distinguished road
Screenwriting Software: Best

Great poll. I find the results unsurprising as to Final Draft being the leader, but it is an interesting surprise that CeltX has overtaken Movie Magic Screenwriter.

I was the editor of Creative Screenwriting Magazine for five years, and I remember when Celtx came on the scene. How its use has grown!

I am doing a poll of my own -- not of screenwriting software , but of several other services screenwriters use (pitchfests, contests, books, consultants, etc.). I plan to publish the results in an e-book, which I will offer for sale. However, anyone who takes my survey gets a free copy. If you want to take the survey, go to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/screenwritingratings
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/screenwritingratings
Screenwriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #30
Saul Rothman
practical experience, FTW

Saul Rothman is on a distinguished road
FD is the only software I've tried, but I love it.

Saulisa
Saul Rothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #31
D-N-K

D-N-K is on a distinguished road
Final Draft.

I like it, it's easy.
D-N-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #32
zebedee

Location: in a perfectly normal place, listening to the voices in my head
zebedee is on a distinguished road
Celtx. Started using it because it was free, paid for the upgrade to support the software.

Wanted to try FD but couldn't afford it.
zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #33
D-N-K

D-N-K is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebedee View Post
Wanted to try FD but couldn't afford it.
The price for a software such as FD is too high. I think it goes for about 180 dollars.

Celtx is a much better alternative. I wouldn't recommend to anyone paying so much money for FD when there is free software out there.
D-N-K is offline   Reply With Quote