Rejectomancy

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice 16-day personal R from Strange Horizons. Whenever I get a personal rejection from them they always say what they liked and didn't like, something I appreciate.

Same here. 16 day personal from an editor (not slush reader), which is very nice (well, not as nice as an acceptance, but still ;)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. 16 day personal from an editor (not slush reader), which is very nice (well, not as nice as an acceptance, but still ;)

You, Sai and I all submitted the same day.;) I'm waiting for my R to come rolling in at any minute. Hope it's a personal. (Okay - I hope it's an acceptance but it's flash, which cuts my chances there even more than the already long odds.)

dachshund

Small Barking Dog
Registered
Reaction score
Underground Voices and Strange Horizons, around 15 days.

Quite a run of bad luck. Had another one I won't mention that really pissed me off; even though it was polite, I thought the criticism was nonsense.

Last edited:

dachshund

Small Barking Dog
Registered
Reaction score
75 day F from Tor... at least I assume it's an F, although it says they'd be happy to see more stories from me.

Apparently that's the form now, got one from them today. Really getting sick of this.

Dani79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daniellengales.com
4 day from Lakeside Circus. Judging by the less-than-enthusiastic comments, I'm guessing the message I wished to convey with this story was not the one that was received, and instead something very nasty and unintended was found there.

Looking at it now, yeah... I can see where they're coming from. Ouch. Time to re-evaluate this one. :flag:

brandon_k

Registered
Reaction score
Blimey! How long was the story? ;-)

Days, pages, is there any difference at this point? That's a typo for the record books, though.

Although . . . If the magazines had to give us rejection letters as long as the days it took, it might help them get the forms out faster.

A 24 day personal reject from Strange Horizons today.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
9 days form from Ellery Queen. An old story that might go back in the filing cabinet for a while.

I have two stories well overdue for Rs at the moment, but not really in query territory. Both at pro-rate markets. I'm still hanging out for my first pro-rate sale. I've had so many good personal Rs recently I can almost taste that acceptance.

Man, I am really going to crash and burn if/when Rs come in for those two.

lsjohnson

all things 18th century
Registered
Reaction score
Website
traversingz.com
hello everyone, i am new to this thread but very nice to see others in the same boat as myself.

for those of you who were rejected from the last interfictions window--did you get letters? i just had a status change on submittable, which i've never had before. it was . . . nonplussing.

lsjohnson

all things 18th century
Registered
Reaction score
Website
traversingz.com
I had a letter, but I don't know if it came at the same time as the Submittable status change.

Ah. It has been some time since the status change. Far too long for there simply to be a delay. I try not to take these things too seriously, but not even a form letter? Sheesh.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R's everyone, especially yours, lsjohnson, with no letter. I suppose it's possible it could have got lost, whether its email or snail mail.

Waiting on a response from DSF at the moment for my sub gone 38 days with no bump. Unusual for that market, as they seem to advise writers of progress, so I queried last week but no reply yet. Don't mind being patient, but hope my sub isn't lost. My email is working - I did get their confirmation receipt.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you fihr.

lsjohnson, sorry to hear about your R experience - it does come across as pretty cold on the market's part, but perhaps your letter slipped through the cracks if they dealt out a few that day.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry all - and lsjohnson, yes, I did receive an e-mail R from Interfictions. Maybe, as others said, yours was an accidental omission or lost in transit.

dachshund

Small Barking Dog
Registered
Reaction score
Tor 100, Shadows and Tall Trees 2, The Dark 1.

The second one was just a toss-in because I had nothing more appropriate available at the time; didn't expect anything of that one. The losing streak continues.

Last edited:

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Sorry about all the Rs, everyone. I'm having lots of waiting. My only response in days was a 4-day form R from The Dark.

Brandon -- It was a good typo. If I got a 25-pager I'd feel mondo rejected, so now I'm fine. The personal from Strange Horizon's encouraging. Good on Sai, too.

Aislinn -- I hear you. I'm keeping as many stories out as possible to try to stay off that train, the one that says hopes should rise the longer the the market holds the mss. A glance at stats reminds me wait time doesn't indicate much.

Lsjohnson -- I'm inclined to think it was a mistake, not an intentional thing. Sorry to hear it, though. I got a form R letter from Interfictions. You might check your spam filter. I usually think to add markets to contacts, but I have had the response go astray. Certain email programs will treat those puppies like spam.

Fihr -- I hope you have good news soon.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
20-day R from SH. Still no love from them, not even a personal.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
27-day double form R (I sent them two stories, hence the 'double') from Gigantic Worlds. It's a shame because it seems like a really cool anthology. Oh well, time to find the next market.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Got my second 21-day rejection from Gordon Van Gelder at F&SF this week. Both said his assistant liked it but "it didn't quite grab me, alas."

Anyone know if F&SF has different tiers of rejections when it gets to GVG?

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score
2 rejections for the same story in one day. The second one was a 1-hour form from The Dark.
That's a new low, I guess.