Birds hear tornadoes a day ahead of time, fly 750 kilometers to safety

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I keep wondering why we keep comparing apples with oranges - it seems so obvious that birds function different from mammals, as do reptiles, as do insects, as do plants. In a similar vein, I find the question of how intelligent other species are rather ludicruous - my take is that each species is obviously equipped with exactly the kind of intelligence it needs to thrive in its particular niche, because it couldn't survive otherwise. If a different kind of intelligence were necessary, that species would possess it - so if it doesn't, it's for a vital reason.

Comparing the intelligence of other species to human intelligence seems so utterly pointless and nonsensical to me (hello, apples and oranges?). We're so limited in our understanding of other species and their lives (especially their inner, mental and emotional lives) because we only know what it is to be human.

We compare because we're the only yardstick we have, and knowing how other animals stack up against us in IQ is extremely important. It not only answers questions about them, but also questions about us. There's nothing purposeless about it. These are vital questions.

If a different kind of intelligence were necessary, that species would possess it - so if it doesn't, it's for a vital reason.

I really don't even know what this means. Humans are pretty darned smart, at least as a species, but we have no evidence that different kinds of intelligence exist. If one does, we need to know about it.

It may seem obvious that each species functions different, but we have no clue, and from all the evidence, it seems likely that the differences are minor, and may even be nonexistent in some species. "Obvious" isn't science, most often turns out not to be as obvious as we thought, and we need to know.

But aren't you curious how animals think, what they feel, how they do some of the things they're born knowing? These abilities are somehow hardwired into the brain, and knowing how this happens could benefit humans immensely.

At any rate, intelligence is what it's all about, and comparison are how science works. We don't just compare an animal species with humans, but with other animals species. If we don't make such comparisons, we'll never learn anything.

The nice thing about being human is that we aren't limited by our own species. We can learn what it's like to be a bird, a monkey, or a dolphin.

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
Sure, but this is what worries the NWS. The odds of Chicago central getting hit are the same as those surrounding areas getting hit. You can go fifty years without a hit, or a hundred years without a hit, and then get five per year for the next decade.

If you live anywhere near tornado alley, it's really just a matter of luck.

I understand. Down here, we're bombarded with PSAs and special reports/newspaper articles on how to prepare for hurricanes as the season approaches. It wouldn't hurt for tornado-related information to be disseminated in Chicago, just in case.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
If a different kind of intelligence were necessary, that species would possess it - so if it doesn't, it's for a vital reason.

I really don't even know what this means. Humans are pretty darned smart, at least as a species, but we have no evidence that different kinds of intelligence exist.

We used to think only humans possess intelligence while all other animal species are merely governed by instinct, and used to also assume that animals have no emotions. Over the last decades, scientists have looked closer at a few species and discovered that apes, dolphins, ravens etc can be considered "intelligent" measured by human standards (where we are able to recognize their behaviour as alike to ours such as the use of tools and varied communication).

Does that mean other animals we don't see as tool users or having a language are dumber than apes, ravens and dolphins? I don't think so, I think people just don't recognize their intelligence because it's different, and because maybe in their own ecological niche they have no need for using tools - just as the intelligence of ravens has escaped many people for so long.

At any rate, intelligence is what it's all about, and comparison are how science works. We don't just compare an animal species with humans, but with other animals species. If we don't make such comparisons, we'll never learn anything.

Comparing ravens with finches or dolphins with blue whales is still comparing apples to oranges because they're different species, so it's an excercise in futility. I don't understand why it's so hard to see that every species is intelligent - if a species were dumb, it wouldn't be able to survive.

We can learn what it's like to be a bird, a monkey, or a dolphin.

I don't believe that. We already flounder to completely understand what it is like to be a handicapped person or of a completely differnt culture or gender.

Other animal species have not only totally different lives, perceptions, needs and values from humans, but in many cases are equipped with other senses. I don't believe we can really imagine what it's like to be migrating bird and find our way across the planet without technical gadgets, or how prey animals relate to predators, or what a dolphin's idea of beauty is.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I purposefully said Chicago and not "the Chicago area" because the suburbs/outlying areas have often taken the brunt of tornadoes in the past. In my lifetime, the inner city has rarely taken a direct hit. I'm not counting the frightening experience of seeing the torrential downpours and thunder/lightning that accompany tornadoes—I'm talking about actual touchdowns (not football, LOL!) and people reporting that they heard the "freight train" sound as the funnel passed close by.

The worst tornado in my lifetime occurred around 1967, and several homes were damaged in the city (including my neighborhood); Oak Lawn really got hit. I also seem to remember another one some years later that caused some damage, but not as much as the 1967 tornado. The last tornado scare I can remember was around 1980.

One nasty stormy afternoon in July 2010 the sirens went off and we herded all the kids to the basement.

I don't think there were any official tornadoes in Chicago that day, but a really strong system blasted basically straight east down the Stevenson Expressway. The city decided to sound the tornado sirens so people would get to safety.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
For those into crows, you might enjoy this flick from 1948. "Miraculous Journey," staring Jim the Crow. Has a number of parts (including giving the female lead a kiss) and saves the day at the end. (He doesn't predict the weather, but he does shelter his owl friends during a storm with his wings.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojU7ZkIOSd0

Last edited: