Authors should never respond to reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
As a reader, if I want an author to know what I think of their work, I will contact them personally. Send them an email, or @ them on twitter with a link to the review, or whatever. That makes it clear I welcome interaction.

As an author, I just flip that around. Is the reader inviting me into the conversation? If not, I stay out, because it's not my place to intrude. If a reader wants interaction, they will let me know.

It's sort of like email marketing. You have to let people opt-in before you can send them your newsletter. If you just send it out to anyone who happens to mention your company/product/whatever online, you know what you are? A spammer.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
Well, again there I'd say mostly people don't butt in - but every now and again they do, with something pertinent because they couldn't help but overhear*...happens all the time in a pub, and thus some friendships are made. Sometimes it feels rude, and sometimes it doesn't, depending on how it's done.

But it's still public. Out there. I mean when I talk in the pub, I am aware that other people can hear me (and most especially I am aware if I, say, were gossiping about X and he's two feet away.... if he hears me, I'd be surprised if he DIDN'T say something)

*I am mistress of 'Saying something loudly into a sudden lull in the convo so the whole pub can hear it...' :D

True, and, as you said earlier, rulez is sometimes guidelines.

But, for me at least, if I'm on a website for *readers* to exchange views, I don't expect the authors to be there too. (If you'll forgive the Cis slant of the analogy) It's like if you get glammed up for a girls night out at the local gay bar and men start hitting on you. Sure, it might sometimes be welcomed, but if I wanted to be hit on I wouldn't be at the gay bar, and I there to have a good time with my mates, I don't want to be watching my behaviour to make sure random bloke knows I'm not flirting with him.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... if someone give you a complimentary review the way to respond is by writing another book they enjoy equally well. That's something they'll appreciate.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
True, and, as you said earlier, rulez is sometimes guidelines.

But, for me at least, if I'm on a website for *readers* to exchange views, I don't expect the authors to be there too. (If you'll forgive the Cis slant of the analogy) It's like if you get glammed up for a girls night out at the local gay bar and men start hitting on you. Sure, it might sometimes be welcomed, but if I wanted to be hit on I wouldn't be at the gay bar, and I there to have a good time with my mates, I don't want to be watching my behaviour to make sure random bloke knows I'm not flirting with him.

I get exactly what you mean (and Amazon and GR for example, I doubt I'd ever comment there, because of exactly that).

Some blog-reviewers seem to actively encourage authors to post on their sites etc though, and there I think it might be different. It's hard to know which wouldn't welcome it unless they say so.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Authors reading the reviews I write is like being spied upon. I don't want to have to read everything twice to ensure I don't cause any harm or offence. How I say something I am writing, for me, is not the same way I'd say it to them.

You're looking at the issue too narrowly. It's not just about being offended. It's about feeling like the author is watching.

When we feel like we're being watched, we alter our behavior, both consciously and subconsciously.

If you know an author is actively reading and responding to reviews, you may subconsciously censor yourself in an effort not to offend them.

If you'd censor yourself if you knew the person whose book you are writing about was reading it, then you shouldn't write it. Either be less offensive, or care less whether the author might be offended.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
It's sort of like email marketing. You have to let people opt-in before you can send them your newsletter. If you just send it out to anyone who happens to mention your company/product/whatever online, you know what you are? A spammer.

My new default reply:

"Thanks for the review. Also, would you like to ENLARGE YOUR PENIS? Try a free trial of Gigandick™ now for only $4,999!"

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If you'd censor yourself if you knew the person whose book you are writing about was reading it, then you shouldn't write it. Either be less offensive, or care less whether the author might be offended.

If a reader thinks it's creepy for an author to reply to a review, arguing with them about why they're so wrong is precisely the sort of situation you don't want to be in. Author's big mistakes are often childish replies to negative reviews, but they don't have to be - it could equally be the author who insists they have a right to reply and take part in any conversations about their book, and if the reader doesn't like it, go read some other author's book or don't bother reviewing anything again.

If you reply with a thank you, you're not aiming to alienate the reader. In situations where it looks like it's unusual for the author to take part, or readers seem uncomfortable when an author does, that's the time to be quiet. And generally, if a site doesn't have a history of authors taking part, readers are likely to find it creepy.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Because all of the Author Behaving Badly situations detailed in your other thread happened after a reviewer was offensive? No. Most of the reviews were fine.

And "care less"? I'd love to know how one goes about doing that.

Look again at my gay club analogy. If I am in a place where nobody is going to want to chat me up, should I have to temper myself and my behaviour in case there's somebody there who does? If I am in a place which is for readers to write reviews of books, should I then have temper myself and my behaviour in case the author is there too? In both cases, natural and casual behaviour can lead to a situation I'm not interested in dealing with. You seem to be saying that if I feel like that, I should just stay away from everything.

I do not have the strength and the ability to say exactly what I think 100% of the time. I do not have the time or the inclination to always defend my opinion. Sometimes I don't care enough to tell you what I think, or I do not care to explain why I feel a certain way or think a certain thing. When I do, I spend time in those places. When I don't, I'm going to go where I do not expect to have to.

In practice, a thank you for a positive review (or an amusing negative review) is not a bad thing. However, just as I'm not interested in causing offense, I'm not interested in being part of your fan club. I read your book and I liked it. That's all. I don't want to know what you think of it.

If a reader thinks it's creepy for an author to reply to a review, arguing with them about why they're so wrong is precisely the sort of situation you don't want to be in. Author's big mistakes are often childish replies to negative reviews, but they don't have to be - it could equally be the author who insists they have a right to reply and take part in any conversations about their book, and if the reader doesn't like it, go read some other author's book or don't bother reviewing anything again.

If you reply with a thank you, you're not aiming to alienate the reader. In situations where it looks like it's unusual for the author to take part, or readers seem uncomfortable when an author does, that's the time to be quiet. And generally, if a site doesn't have a history of authors taking part, readers are likely to find it creepy.

This, so much. If you are in a place where the authors do respond, or are encouraged to, great. If you're not, don't.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
What about an author responding to a review of another author's book? Is that still creepy and spying and looking over the reviewer's shoulder?

It is an author, invading a reviewer's space by responding to a review (even if it's about another author's book).

earnest question.

AshNic

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with it, really. I'm not talking about an author getting all huffy or defensive with a reader, but positive interaction. I've always liked it whenever the consumers are interacted with, though.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I do think authors getting involved puts a damper on things. It's not just the reviewer, after all - it's other readers commenting/discussing the review. And then all of a sudden, there's The Author - it's like Mom sticking her head in the door at the slumber party. "Just checking in - go back to whatever you were doing, kids!" - Sure, Mom. We'll continue talking about that sexy sexy boy while waiting for you to pop in again...

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I do think authors getting involved puts a damper on things. It's not just the reviewer, after all - it's other readers commenting/discussing the review. And then all of a sudden, there's The Author - it's like Mom sticking her head in the door at the slumber party. "Just checking in - go back to whatever you were doing, kids!" - Sure, Mom. We'll continue talking about that sexy sexy boy while waiting for you to pop in again...

I guess I don't see it this way - with so many readers being other writers, I see it more as a discussion between peers. So long as everyone plays nice, why can't we all discuss the sexy sexy boy?

I'm being slightly facetious, but imo excluding someone from a conversation in which they might be able to contribute in a positive way isn't a net benefit.

Might it change the dynamic some? Sure. But there's nothing that automatically says it'd be for the worse.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I find all these analogies pretty stupid, frankly. An author is not your mommy at a slumber party or a guy chatting you up at a bar. As a reader, I don't want to be infantilized by the presumption that I'm tee-heeing with my fellow readers over a book and the sudden appearance of an Author is invading my safe space.

If you are dissecting a book on your personal blog, I guess I could see an argument for not wanting the author to comment there (in which case just say so), but if it's a "public" book blog or Goodreads or some other review site, it should be expected that sometimes authors are going to read it, and those who have the gumption might comment.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
OH, THE IRONY!

So, in what is surely the universe deciding to have a chuckle and see what I would do, an author whose book I recently trashed - and I mean, absolutely trashed - in a review, just posted a comment on one of my blog posts about my own writing with an offer to put me in touch with their agent, by way of making amends for how much I didn't like their book.

As far as I can tell (at least, on the surface), the author is being sincere.

Still deciding how to respond. o..O

(My review was, to put it mildly, unkind, but I did not say anything nasty about the author as a person.)

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a publisher weigh in on a negative review I wrote. Is that okay...? Eh.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What about an author responding to a review of another author's book? Is that still creepy and spying and looking over the reviewer's shoulder?

It is an author, invading a reviewer's space by responding to a review (even if it's about another author's book).

earnest question.

No, because they (I assume) are not acting in their capacity as an author, they are acting as their capacity as a reader.

It's like the difference between an official agency website and a casual blog. If you want one as a human being, great, but if it's a professional business blog, I don't think it should include entries about the super cute thing your kid did the other day. Just me, obviously.

I find all these analogies pretty stupid, frankly. An author is not your mommy at a slumber party or a guy chatting you up at a bar. As a reader, I don't want to be infantilized by the presumption that I'm tee-heeing with my fellow readers over a book and the sudden appearance of an Author is invading my safe space.

If you are dissecting a book on your personal blog, I guess I could see an argument for not wanting the author to comment there (in which case just say so), but if it's a "public" book blog or Goodreads or some other review site, it should be expected that sometimes authors are going to read it, and those who have the gumption might comment.

But that's what it feels like to me: an invasion.

A blog, I think, is more "public" than Goodreads. GR is supposed to be a social experience, it's about connecting with others. A blog is more like writing for a newspaper and so, I think, a more acceptable place to comment.

So, in what is surely the universe deciding to have a chuckle and see what I would do, an author whose book I recently trashed - and I mean, absolutely trashed - in a review, just posted a comment on one of my blog posts about my own writing with an offer to put me in touch with their agent, by way of making amends for how much I didn't like their book.

As far as I can tell (at least, on the surface), the author is being sincere.

Still deciding how to respond. o..O

(My review was, to put it mildly, unkind, but I did not say anything nasty about the author as a person.)

How does putting them in touch with their agent make amends?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
But that's what it feels like to me: an invasion.

A blog, I think, is more "public" than Goodreads. GR is supposed to be a social experience, it's about connecting with others. A blog is more like writing for a newspaper and so, I think, a more acceptable place to comment.

Goodreads is a social experience that explicitly invites authors to participate - in fact, having authors and publishers there to promote their books is how GR makes money. So of course sometimes they are going to read your reviews, and even comment.

Your issues with author participation are certainly something authors who feel inclined to comment on reviews should take into account - along with all the other hazards of authors commenting on reviews (you might come off looking like either an ass or a suck-up), there are psychologically fragile people who will flip out and make you look mean. But as I said in the first post, I think the fact that there are good reasons to be wary doesn't mean that it's wrong for an author to comment on a review, only risky.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score

Goodreads actively invited the authors in and encouraged them to engage with the readers. This may well have been a bad idea*, but it's how the owners of the site envisage it developing. Therefore, their vision of the 'social experience' includes the authors.

*yep

stray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesnewmanfiction.blogspot.com
I wouldn't respond to a review, good or bad, on say Amazon.com. But if a reviewer contacts me on facebook or goodreads or by email then I'll chat with them and/or meet up with them if they are in town. Why not?

It's the authors that write their own gushing reviews and then respond to them that gets my blood boiling. But that's a different topic...

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
An author is not your mommy at a slumber party

Well, of course they aren't. Good grief. But having the person whose writing is being dissected, good or bad or in-between, right there, making comments, explaining, complimenting or disagreeing - these aren't discussions meant to be with the author. These are discussions between readers. Someone states their interpretation and there's the author, 'taking part', totally civil and polite, explaining how "That's interesting, but what I meant was..." - and the discussion of that interpretation dies or slowly melts away.

Authors had their chance when they wrote the book. If they want to discuss it further, do it on their own blog and leave the readers alone.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I don't get this at all. If it's a social experience, why should the author be excluded?

Authors had their chance when they wrote the book. If they want to discuss it further, do it on their own blog and leave the readers alone.

Disagree with this too - there are plenty of things I've read in books that I would love the chance to discuss further with the author, and back in my fanfic days, I had some really great discussions with readers. I honestly don't see why it matters where it happens.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Disagree with this too - there are plenty of things I've read in books that I would love the chance to discuss further with the author, and back in my fanfic days, I had some really great discussions with readers. I honestly don't see why it matters where it happens.

Exactly - often I would love it if an author stopped by to explain what they meant or why they wrote something. Of course some readers don't want that - and that's why authors need to cultivate a very good sense for when it's appropriate to join the conversation and when it's not. Trying to "correct" a reader's interpretation of their book is obviously a bad idea, but if the reader is open to hearing what the author intended (as opposed to what the reader inferred), that can be an interesting conversation too.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Well, since it's on topic, let me ask this: I really really want to respond to this blog article, I think it's a hilarious blog entry about my book and I want to be part of the conversation. Do you think it'd be okay to do so, if I keep it humorous? (I looked for an email address so I could contact the blogger, but couldn't see one).

What do you think, yea or nay?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Well, since it's on topic, let me ask this: I really really want to respond to this blog article, I think it's a hilarious blog entry about my book and I want to be part of the conversation. Do you think it'd be okay to do so, if I keep it humorous? (I looked for an email address so I could contact the blogger, but couldn't see one).

What do you think, yea or nay?

Iffy, for all reasons previously mentioned. The blogger might think it's cool that you commented, or might flip out: "OMG THE AUTHOR IS WAAATCHING MEEEEEE!" And whatever you say might be misinterpreted: what you think is self-deprecating humor might come off as groveling; what you think is sharing in the joke might come off as defensiveness. But if you're confident you can pull it off, go for it. Just don't come crying to us if it ends badly. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.