Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll like that I've been downloading StarTrek movie soundtracks to write my books to.

The music is perfect for a lot of my scenes ;) lol

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I gots me a question. What are your thoughts, or anyone's thoughts on a cliffhanger ending for book 3? The story that's introduced in book 3 will be summed up, but I have a bit of a lead in to book 4.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
*chuckling*

Yes, well I also have Voyager, DeepSpace9, and some other soundtracks/theme songs I keep writing to.

I am stuck on Imagine Dragon's : Radioactive right now though. I seem to write my best dark scenes to that. Hmm ...

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I gots me a question. What are your thoughts, or anyone's thoughts on a cliffhanger ending for book 3? The story that's introduced in book 3 will be summed up, but I have a bit of a lead in to book 4.

It's not a cliffhanger if the book's story is summed up. It's just a series book with lead-ins to the next book--which is what you want in a series.

Now, if you didn't deal with the big question in the book and left it open--that would be a cliffhanger.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a cliffhanger if the book's story is summed up. It's just a series book with lead-ins to the next book--which is what you want in a series.

Yay, I have series books, and no cliffhangers :D :snoopy:

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Well, the overall arc of the series is this curse on these two families and these mysteriousness creatures behind it. They get a major clue to how to deal with it, and then... I'll white out below in case you don't want to see.

Basically, one character asks another to marry them and before she can answer she doesn't answer, because she hears the creatures and they're not happy. I'm not sure I want to do it. I really don't want to ruin the proposal, but it fits so well.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I just sent back an intro to a story my 15 yr old nephew is working on. I wanted to advise him on what's wrong, because there's plenty. But at the same time, he has potential. I just hope he doesn't take the crits the wrong way.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully not. Did you also tell him all the things he did right? That might help.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Yes. He has a good sense of drama and danger in there. Good descriptive abilities. There's potential.

But he writes it first person from one character, even though someone else is the MC. And after 9k, I have no idea what the MC wants or want the name of the guy telling the story is.

He spells maybe mabie, mixes tenses and doesn't set up scenes. It's action upon action. Pretty brutal action too. Yet he does have characters that are more than 2 dimensional. Also each character talks the same.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But he writes it first person from one character, even though someone else is the MC.

Yeah, that narrator stuff never works. Just ask Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or F. Scott Fitzgerald. ;)

And after 9k, I have no idea what the MC wants or want the name of the guy telling the story is.

I think the first is a bigger problem than the second, FWIW. A first person narrator is always "I", after all. ;)

He spells maybe mabie, mixes tenses
Just remember--the modern public school system in many districts think (or thought--hopefully thought) that pounding spelling and grammar into small children's minds stifled their creativity, so it was never required. (This happened to both my kids--I had to teach them at home for years.) Be a bit encouraging, since that might not be his "fault".

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
My school had an extensive curriculum on spelling. But I don't think it stuck :)

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Got an email back. Apparently, the spelling or Mabie was because it's a German word and he had his laptop programmed in German.

Did I mention he speaks very good Russian and German, mostly because of video games? He's a smart kid.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Got an email back. Apparently, the spelling or Mabie was because it's a German word and he had his laptop programmed in German.

Did I mention he speaks very good Russian and German, mostly because of video games? He's a smart kid.

I've heard this with Japanese, but not Russian or German lol!

*Nesesito esos en espanol para mi practica :D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
THat can be a pain. Depending on the price and the fit - lots of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.