The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

heza

Registered
Reaction score
How's everyone else doing this new year? I found a scorpion in my room on New Year's day (visiting family in Mexico). I don't think that bodes well. On the plus side, we found it before it stung anybody - so that's good, right? Still, I'm glad I live somewhere where I don't have to check my shoes before I put them on.

I grew up where brown recluse spiders felt free to crawl all over everything in the house, so I always had to check my shoes, and not stick my fingers in places I couldn't see, and turn the covers all the way down before I got into bed. Now I live down in Houston where I haven't seen any, and I've gone soft. When I go back to OK for a visit, I'm worried I'm not being sufficiently vigilant.

We always got those little yellowish scorpions. My mom used to say they traveled in pairs.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up where brown recluse spiders felt free to crawl all over everything in the house, so I always had to check my shoes, and not stick my fingers in places I couldn't see, and turn the covers all the way down before I got into bed. Now I live down in Houston where I haven't seen any, and I've gone soft. When I go back to OK for a visit, I'm worried I'm not being sufficiently vigilant.

We always got those little yellowish scorpions. My mom used to say they traveled in pairs.

Yikes! I think if I found a brown recluse spider in my bed I would seriously freak out. No, I'd freak out even if I didn't. Just having to check makes me think - if it could get in there while I'm gone, what's to stop it from getting in there while I sleep? I'm not a very brave person, in general.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! I think if I found a brown recluse spider in my bed I would seriously freak out. No, I'd freak out even if I didn't. Just having to check makes me think - if it could get in there while I'm gone, what's to stop it from getting in there while I sleep? I'm not a very brave person, in general.

Couple times in my life I've had one wake me up crawling on me. Yeah, it kind of scars you for life. I've developed a fling reflex where if I feel anything touch me lightly in the night, I immediately fling it off against the wall.

Any fairies approaching me in the night should wear some kind of safety harness.

I've been writing every evening pretty diligently. That makes me happy.

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
YEESH! Heza and Sheila, I did not expect that! Heza, good job with the consistent writing. That has to feel good!

Dave, if you are reading this, I'm one more who (no bullshitting!) really enjoys the stuff you post!

I realized at the New Year that I had taken an entire year off writing. An entire year! Not even revising. I just got busier with small children issues and emotional issues, and nothing.

But now I'm on to something new :D I'm hopeful that this will be the one I go through the whole process with. I've finished two MG novels and gone through multiple revisions only to feel that there were issues I wasn't ready to resolve with either of them and shelving them. Shiny new project is an adult novel.. but I'm here because I feel like I know people here and I don't want to move to the scary adult forums. Can I be accountable here? Just kick me out if you have to! (but like. don't. please!) So far, I'm taking more time planning this. I downloaded character and plotting worksheets instead of my previous two pantsing adventures :D

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Keep it up, heza! And good luck, summerb! We will be checking in on you, adult novel or not. I hope the planning works for you. I've tried that a couple times, but I always get bored with mapping out stuff and end up pantsing. A "Let's see where this goes" - type of approach.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I'm still kinda depressed over my utter fail of a MG book and have yet to come up with a new idea. Everything I think of is stupid!

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I'm still kinda depressed over my utter fail of a MG book and have yet to come up with a new idea. Everything I think of is stupid!

:Hug2:

I'm failing at knowing what to say to help, but sending good vibes your way. I think you're probably giving yourself a harder time than is due.

I don't know what your process is, but maybe try brainstorming a setting or a character? You know, pick out some smaller ideas that you find fun and expand upon them - play about and see if it sparks something larger?

*flails and throws cookies at you*

heza

Registered
Reaction score

Awh. *hugs* It'll be okay CheG. You'll find another idea soon.

Is this the epistolic contemporary or the fairy one?

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com

Hugs, CheG! I'm not sure what made it an utter fail, but I didn't get my agent until my fifth manuscript, so I have definitely had to trunk stories I loved. It's hard.

I do know that new ideas do not come when you're forcing them. I suggest feeding yourself artistically - read lots of great MG, and maybe branch out to other forms, too. Listen to new music, go to some funky little theater, etc. Your new story will find you!

summerb

Registered
Reaction score

I'm trying to learn the lesson to allow myself to write the stupid things. If your choice is to not write or to write something that you suspect is terrible, just write the terrible thing.

I re-read up on Bradbury when I'm feeling unmotivated. He wrote everyday at least 1000 words a day for ten years before he felt like he stumbled onto something good. Lots of his stories in that meantime were published, but can credibly be called terrible and were flops. But he just kept writing all the time, throwing things out into the universe and seeing what stuck. In the end, he has this amazing legacy because he was prolific. Let yourself write the terrible things and maybe something good will sneak in.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been in and out of the forums lately. Not being very supportive as of late. Sorry. :( My book went into the submissions at the end of last month after two revisions, a mutual decision between my agent and me to wait until after the christmas holidays to submit, and me taking my sweet time. So here I am, sitting on my thumbs.

I'm relatively relaxed to be honest. I don't think about it at all. I guess it's because I have a realistic expectation of the book not selling and I'm okay with that. Also because I'm secretly a pessimist and don't believe in anything.

Anyway, I'm almost done with my second MG book. I can't wait to send it to betas and start editing it. Two books! woohoo! I'm all respectable and stuff!

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been in and out of the forums lately. Not being very supportive as of late. Sorry. :( My book went into the submissions at the end of last month after two revisions, a mutual decision between my agent and me to wait until after the christmas holidays to submit, and me taking my sweet time. So here I am, sitting on my thumbs.

I'm relatively relaxed to be honest. I don't think about it at all. I guess it's because I have a realistic expectation of the book not selling and I'm okay with that. Also because I'm secretly a pessimist and don't believe in anything.

Anyway, I'm almost done with my second MG book. I can't wait to send it to betas and start editing it. Two books! woohoo! I'm all respectable and stuff!

Good luck, Daniela! Submissions can be so stressful and I'm glad you're not sweating it too much. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you :) And congrats on your next novel!

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com

Daniela, good luck!! Sending lots of good vibes your way! And congrats on the second book!

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Laurie and Kate! :Hug2: I'm typing as fast as a can with my second MG WIP. I'm currently approaching this area toward the end when I finally break my MC into tiny little pieces after he's been brave for so long. From then on, it's battle royal and I'm so excited!

One thing I'm struggling with the most is deciding to keep it upper MG and tone it down a little, or move it up to YA. I feel like it belongs MG, but some of the content screams YA. Hopefully I'll have it sorted out when I start beta-ing it.

Hope everyone is doing well! CheG, don't fret. Something will come along when you least expect it!!!

ETA: BTW, for those who have a book ready to query, #MSWL (manuscript wish list) is going on today on Twitter. Agents will be posting what they want to read.

Last edited:

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Sooooo.... Yeah. Back again. For real, this time. In a bitter twist of luck, my depression spiralled worse than before soon after attempting my return to writing and contributing to this forum, so apologies for seeking like I was giving empty promises. I assure you, i an working on new material.

I recently celebrated my 28th birthday on Tuesday - thank you Laura for your sweet message! My amazing girlfriend took me to Chinatown for a great meal, after which we saw Matilda at the West End. Fantastic adaptation!! It was a very special night, as we were the first audience to watch a brand-new Matilda's debut performance, and she knocked it out of the park!

On a sad note, I'm sure some of you have heard of the passing of Sir Terry Pratchett. I can't begin to describe the huge impact and influence this amazing author has had on me, both as a writer and as a human being. His Discworld series are always so flawlessly hilarious, their stories deep, complex and engaging with satirical themes and depth. I feel like I've grown up there, it's characters my friends, and as stupid as that sounds you should know that I was bullied for pretty much all 16 years of my educational childhood, and it was only when I started reading his books around the age of nine that I truly felt I had somewhere I could escape to, to enjoy life and smile. That feeling has never left me, and is a sense I wish to instil in my own readers if ever possible... I'm truly sad at his passing.

Reading passages from some of his books, it got me thinking of the times I wrote comic fantasy, and the sheer fun I had. So I thought I'd give it another shot, to get me back into writing with something light hearted and silly. No in-depth plans yet, just that the setting might be called "The Wyrdlands" and the first book might be about the gentle, reluctant son of an evil warlord who wants him to follow the family tradition.... But that's about it.

Thoughts? Anyone else have fond memories of Pratchett's works? How are you all?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*hurls self into thread*

*slat-lands*

:hi: Everyone.

I am a total noob at this kiddie-book-writing business. Honestly, I don't have clue. Last year, after the editor of my non-fic book had finished the editing, he called me and said that, if I had any ideas about writing/submitting children's literature, now would be time to do it. It just so happens that I do have something, I think.

Many years ago Eons ago, when my children were very young, we lived on a sugar plantation in Swaziland miles and miles, over badly-graded dirt roads, from the nearest town. The plantation did have a library, about the size of a small bedroom and stocked mostly with sexy books that were banned in South Africa at that time. The kiddie's section had about a dozen books, which lasted my children all of a month or so. Since driving all the way to Mbabane was not something that could be done frequently, I set about writing storybooks for my story-hungry youngsters. I used exercise books that had lines on one page opposite a page that was left blank. I hand-wrote the stories and used the blank page for illustrations. Between you and me, I can barely draw a check let alone illustrate a book, but my kids loved those stories. Possibly because the main protagonists were 'coincidentally' three little girls called Sally, Heather and Samantha who had amazing adventures with a little car called Aripudne.

So... you can see where this is going... after visiting an Indie Book Fair held here last month, and hearing about how our government is pushing strongly for early childhood development programs that include reading, and that there is a huge shortage of local children's books that cater for the ethnic and cultural diversity of SA, I got to thinking. (Not always a good thing for me, but... yanno, it happens.) What if I re-wrote the Aripudne series? Brought it up to date, structured it reflect the current milieu - it might be better to leave out the political corruption and crime stuff - and had a go at submitting it? I got all excited about this until I realized something.

Writing children's books is not nearly as easy or as simple as I thought. So. I have no choice but to throw myself on the mercy of all of you and ask a gazillion stupid questions about just about everything relating to kiddie's picture books. I will, however, do plenty of independent research but I might also ask for directions to the best sites/books for info, etc. For now, I'm still back-reading all the stickies and other threads. :)

Thoughts? Anyone else have fond memories of Pratchett's works?

Diehard Pratchett fan here :hi:. I had the pleasure of meeting Sir Terry back in the '90's when he came out to SA to promote his latest Discworld book, the title of which escapes me right now. He was kind enough to sign a whole bunch of books for me and those books live on a shelf devoted to Pratchett's work. To be honest, he wasn't the warmest person I've ever met but that doesn't detract one bit from the brilliant author that he was. I'm about four or five books short of a complete collection but catching up. :)

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gail,

Nice to meet you! I don't know too much about picture books, so I'm not sure I can give you any advice, but I can wish you luck!

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Jed, Supergirlofnc. :)

It's going to be steep learning curve for me, but I think it will be fun. :D

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Hey guys! Been a while since I've been around so I figured it was time to pop in say hi and update a little!
Had my baby boy in late January!

Everything is good there (though I think he has a cold right now)

Plus my YA comes out in July, which is coming incredibly fast (cover is my new avi)!

Still revising my first MG (it's been like a year since I started this revision. I'm achingly close to being finished though.)

So hi guys! What have I missed?

Welcome Gail!

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Hey everyone... Sorry about the repeated absences. My depression has taken a turn for the worse, now adding nightmares/hallucinations into the mix.

I won't go into much detail as they are pretty gruesome and disturbing, but suffice to say the underlying theme was everyone I loved and cared about killed before my eyes whilst I was helpless - one way or another - to save them :(

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow, so gonna talk it all through with her then. Still taking the medication, as things get worse if I miss even a day. Still not written anything of note or merit, as much as I'd like to, but bought some new MG humour novels to try and lift my spirits and hopefully give me that extra push and inspiration I need.

But anyways, didn't mean to bog this thread down with my problems again...

Tromboli: Congrats on the beautiful baby boy! I hope he brings you much love and happiness. And extra kudos on your upcoming publication!

Gail: I've heard that he can come across that way, but from people close to him and worked with him it sounds like he was mostly the gentle, carefree jolly many you'd imagine. But he took his work very seriously, and if his strictly planned schedule didn't go exactly to plan he'd be quite upset and frustrated because he felt a deep duty and responsibility to his fans. I'm sure you just caught him on a bad day :)

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
David, it sounds like you are in a really, really hard spot. Good luck. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Stacey, congratulations! What a beautiful boy! It's amazing you're getting any editing done at all with that little guy around.

Gail, welcome! Picture books are super hard. I don't really have the knack, though I've tried, and still do, on occasion. My advice would be to try to get a critique group. There is a bigger PB community over on the SCBWI message boards, so try there. Also, keep it short (under 1000 words definitely, under 500 if you can swing it) and read it out loud for rhythm and flow. Good luck!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Blah. I'm having one of those self-doubting weeks. You know, the ones where you're like "Wow, this scene sucks!" And then you read it a month later and you're like, "Actually this isn't that bad. I think I've got something here." But then you read it the very next day and you're like, "No, not only does it suck, but since I thought it was good yesterday, my taste must also suck."

I don't know what I'm doing.