The Bouncy Castle in Space

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
You have no idea how tempted I was to ask about the likelihood of my turning into a werecat.

Smish, I think we shall be werecats together, because I just pricked my finger with a needle that I just used to inject insulin into my cat! Ack! My skin has been invaded by biohazard infectious waste! That can't be good.

(After googling - apparently, many people have done this accidentally and they say it's nothing to worry about. But still, I have this sudden urge for a tuna fish sandwich, and I really want to lie down on the newspaper my husband is reading . . .)

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, what is it about this place? I stay away for a day, and when I come back people are turning into werecats.

Heza, you must have become psychic, because I was horribly sick yesterday. Went to the doctor Tues afternoon for shoulder pain, and was told I have adhesive capsulitis, a.k.a. frozen shoulder; got a referral for physical therapy... and while I was there, they said, I was due a tetanus shot. Came home and immediately began suffering chills and achy joints, which progressed to ... well, you don't want the details. Not sure if it was side-effects from the tetanus vaccine or if I've caught what is going around, but it was not fun. Much better today, thank goodness. I know I'll be returning to chaos at school tomorrow (got texts that there have been "incidents" during my absence) but trying not to think about that.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, what is it about this place? I stay away for a day, and when I come back people are turning into werecats.

Heza, you must have become psychic, because I was horribly sick yesterday. Went to the doctor Tues afternoon for shoulder pain, and was told I have adhesive capsulitis, a.k.a. frozen shoulder; got a referral for physical therapy... and while I was there, they said, I was due a tetanus shot. Came home and immediately began suffering chills and achy joints, which progressed to ... well, you don't want the details. Not sure if it was side-effects from the tetanus vaccine or if I've caught what is going around, but it was not fun. Much better today, thank goodness. I know I'll be returning to chaos at school tomorrow (got texts that there have been "incidents" during my absence) but trying not to think about that.

Well, I'm glad you're feeling better then. I haven't had a tetanus shot in 20 years... I'm probably due. At any rate, it was good of you to help me save face! :p

You'll have to give us a full rundown of the "incidents." That's sounds ominous.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're feeling better, Ruth!

(After googling - apparently, many people have done this accidentally and they say it's nothing to worry about. But still, I have this sudden urge for a tuna fish sandwich, and I really want to lie down on the newspaper my husband is reading . . .)

:roll:

Please go lay on your husband's newspaper. Please, please, please! :D

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
you gals are killing me!

I got to spend the whole day working at the book fair at school. In between classes I read several books, including Peter Brown's new one about Lucy finding a friend.

Came home with Diary of a Wimpy Kid - I don't know, something about camping, I think. Son picked it out.

Got The Mysterious Four, Hauntings and Heists
Smiles to Go by Jerry Spinelli (that one's for me)
A Visitor for Bear
and The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark - rhyming PB that I really fell in love with.

I overheard the principal saying he wished he had time to read so that he could stay current with what the kids were reading. I think if I were a principal, I'd make time for important things like that.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
heza--foot washing can't hurt. My vet said it could be a food allergy, and had me try some special stuff which my dog said was not actually food, so we went back to the good stuff. And so far, frequent washing seems to be taking care of it, so I assume she's allergic to some sort of grass or weed. Give it a try and see if it helps!

Smish, Ruth and Seila, you have permission to wallow in self-pity for the rest of the week. 'kay?

I had a whack-job mom confront me in the hallway today, claiming her daughter is completely traumatized because I keep yelling at her about everything, and now she doesn't want to stay after school for homework help. But the girl never does stay, so I've never had the opportunity to yell at her, so... yeah. This is the same mom who got taken to court a few years back because she never got her son to school.

I told her I had no idea what she was talking about, and she was free to make an appointment with the principal. She wanted me to Lay off her daughter, but how could I promise that, when apparently I'm able to yell at her without actually being in the same room with her?

I guess I gots mad psychic torture abilities.

So how come I can't get my sons to take me seriously???

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes. Terrorizing children from afar... I am all admiration. Sometimes I can't even frighten them at close range.

Returned today after my unprecedented two sick days, and was told I needed to deal with the perpetrators of the following crimes that occurred in my absence:

1 child who hit and scratched the sub
1 child who pulled his pants down in language therapy
1 child who threw soap at other girls in the restroom
1 child who refused to transition between activities
1 child who destroyed a book
2 aides who had a loud argument in the hallway
1 regular ed staff member who decided the morning routine should be revamped for the students with special needs, never mind the fact that it wouldn't comply with their IEPs

This was counterbalanced by the little guy who lit up when he saw me, shouted, "You're back!" and threw his arms around me. That made my day!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the wackos just keep coming.

So, I have this girl with pretty bad ADHD. She wasn't taking her meds consistently, so we got the mom to get us permission to give them to her at school.

This afternoon, I see Mom in the hallway and stop her to tell her how well her daughter has behaved this week, and how responsible she's being with her meds.

Mom interrupts me to berate me for believing her daughter yesterday and sending her to the office when she said she had diarrhea. Plus, how dare we send her home with someone else without her authorization. Of course, she refused to pick up the phone because she was sleeping, so we had no choice but to call the people on her emergency contact list, but apparently she doesn't actually like any of them.

10-minute rant in the hallway about how lazy her daughter is and how she always lies to get out of school...right in front of the kid. And her sister. And about 100 other kids and their parents...

Some people should not be allowed to reproduce.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Those are cute, Kitty. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth and Judy, I can't say how much I admire you guys. Just one of those incidents would have me fretting for a week. I'd never make it as a teacher.

Glad you're feeling better Ruth!

No more cat symptoms for me, which is a bummer, because I was envisioning Smish and me becoming evil Werecat Overlords together. Alas . . .

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Ruth - wow - why in the world should you deal with situations like that after you return? Don't they know that the consequences need to be immediate? I just see all kinds of problems arising from delaying it. maybe I'm just ignorant.

I had the school complain to me once about my son's behavior, and I asked her what she did about it. She said she felt it was my responsibility as his parent to teach him not to behave that way, and that's why she was telling me about it. My response was that he doesn't behave that way when he's around me.

Judy - if I were you, I'd move and take the kids with me.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I would rather be sleeping during this part of it, but my kids and pets had other ideas.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Kitty, I should make posters of those. So very true...

Sissy, believe me, the only silver lining in that situation is that the girls spend more time at school most days than they do with their mother. So we've made some progress rebuilding those fragile souls.

Well, the day I took the last antibiotic for last week's bronchitis...my son brought home a cold and shared it with me. So now I gots the chills and the cruds... But I don't care. I've drugged myself, and Mom and I are going to Stitches! It's a big knitting convention in Santa Clara. Only happens once a year. Vendors from all over the world. Alpaca yarns, bison yarns, cashmere, silk, merino, bamboo, hand-dyed, half-price... You name it, they got. Plus designers and patterns and books and classes.

I've got $200, and I'm gonna spend it all!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Ruth - wow - why in the world should you deal with situations like that after you return? Don't they know that the consequences need to be immediate

So true, Sissy. If it doesn't happen right away, my kiddos won't even make the connection.

Judy, that sounds like fun, medicated or not. Enjoy!

Sheila, sorry your werecat plans didn't pan out. Sounds like an awesome story idea, though!

And those first grade problems are great. I love "always a duck, never a goose." But the one I really relate to (as someone with a summer birthday) is "never get cake at school." :roll:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I can only manage very little bounces at the moment, cuz big ones will make me cough up a lung, but I'll do my best.

1) Yarn shopping was most successful. Got fancy-schmancy hand-dyed wool to make two scarves (one with silk in it) and a vest. Much happiness, even if I did run out of energy before we got to all the vendors.

2) I just got another partial request for Agatha! Since I haven't sent any queries out in a month, this one was quite a surprise. That means I still have one full and one partial out, plus the two revise/resubmit requests. 5 requests total out of 29 queries--definitely a pleasing rate.

I'm not getting my hopes up too high, though. I suspect those first 3 agents were right, and these two will have the same reaction: fix the plot and then we'll talk.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
YAY, MsJudy. I hope you are wrong and that one of those come to fruition.

Ruth - doesn't your school set aside days during the year for all the kids with summer birthdays? We've always done that, so that no one is excluded.

Okay - I have to go. Hubby just brought me a piece of warm apple pie with ice cream. I have to get off here because granddaughter just ran in with a spoon, and she'll eat the whole thing if I don't get with it.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Congrats on the request, Judy!

I'm waiting a little anxiously for critique partner feedback. (Not from Sheila; she was fast. ;-) This is the CP who has the full manuscript, and she hasn't been that long and has a lot on her plate, but I'm still starting to do the internal monologue about how she must hate it and doesn't know what to say, etc. etc.

Breathe ...

My six year old came home from the library and announced that they got two "information books" and six "real books." That's non-fiction and fiction, if you're unfamiliar with the categorizations.

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Yay MsJudy! Congrats on the request! Btw, I understand the joy of purchasing new yarn. I have a huge stash of my own and several backed up projects to boot. Who knows if I'll ever finish them. :)

Joy, hang in there! I'm sure your cp will come back soon and with great thoughts on your novel. Don't worry! :Hug2:

Ruth, again I admire you and anyone else who holds the title as teacher. That's a job I myself wouldn't have the strength to do.

Everyone else, I hope you've been having a great weekend! As for me, I'm still elated over my improvement in archery this last Wednesday. There is a country-wide (USA) Winter Challenge Shoot going on for the society for creative anachronism, or sca, and once they update the list I'll be ranked #31 out of 126 for archers and crossbowmen/women. Woohoo! :hooray:

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. Can you all do some bouncing for me? Friday night we had a house fire. All the humans are ok, but we lost our pets. :( two cats and two dogs. I'm so...I don't even know. I don't have any words for the way I'm feeling. They are demolishing the house tomorrow; nothing is salvagable.

Sorry, I know that's not a very bouncy post and this is supposed to be a happy place :(

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Spiral, I'm so so sorry. :( Is there anything any of us could do for you? I know it's not much, but can I at least give you a hug? :Hug2: I'm here if you need anything, so please don't hesitate to ask.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. Can you all do some bouncing for me? Friday night we had a house fire. All the humans are ok, but we lost our pets. :( two cats and two dogs. I'm so...I don't even know. I don't have any words for the way I'm feeling. They are demolishing the house tomorrow; nothing is salvagable.

Sorry, I know that's not a very bouncy post and this is supposed to be a happy place :(

Oh, Spiral. I'm so very sorry. Many hugs for you and your family. :Hug2:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spiral, so sorry to hear it! Sending out hugs from your writer friends to your whole family.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sweetie, I'm so very, very sorry. I can't imagine the conflicting emotions you're feeling. I've never lost a house to fire, let alone my pets, but I know it must be devastating.

let me know what I can do, besides offer condolences, thankfulness that your human family is alive, and lots and lots of hugs.

I'm really, really sorry.