The Bouncy Castle in Space

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, my little new-from-Mexico kinder was frustrated because she wanted to play with the other girls and thought they weren't going to let her. So I went over to find out what the game was and explain to her how to play.

Girl 1: We're playing "bats."
Girl 2: Bird-bats.
Girl 3: With beautiful wings in lots of bright colors. And we have claws. We scratch the trees.
Girl 4: And those girls over there are the mom.

Yeah. Makes perfect sense to me...

The ELL students are mainly confused because their English proficient peers make absolutely no sense, it seems.

I got too many new releases at the library, and I don't have work tomorrow! Plus this week I got two new kids to tutor (extra money!) and two new kids in my chess club (no extra money, and actually more work for me, but still, my nerd posse is rollin ten deep!) I'm so excited I may need to go lie down!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
We don't have a chess club because we have no sponsor. I have no clue how to play the game, so that lets me out.

Judy - even without the language barriers, that's got to be a confusing game. Especially all the mom.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, of course, bat birds. :ROFL:They say ELL kids understand "playground English" long before academic English, but with playmates like that, you gotta wonder.

I just heard from the editor who bought my science article. The good news is she wants to publish it in six months. However, there have been new developments, and she wants me to update the article again, which means converting incomprehensible physics to a second- or third-grade reading level. But, hey, I'm game!

Enjoy your day off, Kitty. We will expect book reports in the kidlit thread.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Totally fantastic :) Thanks for the giggles!

Haha. I originally typed, "thanks for the goggles".

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today was some sort of a day. First the teacher left me to talk to the girls about The New Dress Code and How To Not Reveal Your Bra Or Any Other Important Bits. Without boys around, the only thing the fifth grade girls want to ask about is Periods! What would they do if they got it in class? But there weren't any female teachers in the room?? And what if they were wearing white pants??? But what if they didn't have a jacket to tie around their waist???? And how could they tell their (male) teacher without TELLING him, an act so embarrassing that they would immediately burst into flames????? Teh horror!

Then Naughty Student wet her pants, took them off, ran out of the bathroom pantless, and threw said wet pants up on the roof. That was a new one on me. I had to fetch a broom to retrieve them...

Then I helped a coworker because her worms, which she purchased For Science, are viciously infested with ants. It's dark times when you have to relocate your worm colony to save it from a sugar ant colony. I need a nap.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Kitty! Oh. My. Goodness. How do you live with that kind of goings on? I almost wet my own pants reading about this.

Periods were a taboo subject back in my day. I couldn't even say the word to my own mother without breaking out in a rash. My niece would tell any of her teachers, male or female, that she needed to go to the bathroom because she was bleeding. I would have died.

But the pants on the roof is a corker. I just can't imagine you with your broom without cracking up.

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm going to have weird dreams tonight for sure.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Who's got a new job, all caps, and four exclamation marks?

THIS GUY!!!!

I'm now a 'marketing executive', which is just a snazzy name for a door-to-door canvasser of building exterior protection assessments. It pays well, even though it's gonna involve a LOT of rejections - but that's just perfect as I near the submission process of EF 1!

Dave

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Eh, I get to meet lots of interesting new people everyday. Sure, half of them are probably going to slam the door in my face, but you gotta make a living, right?

Besides, there's always a grisly fate in one of my books for the REALLY nasty people...

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, David. I'm not sure what that entails, but I hope you enjoy it.

I have a new job, too. It doesn't pay anything, but I get lots of bruises and sore back and tired feet and sweat and much worry and anxiety over my husband falling off a ladder twenty feet above the stupid ground!

This is why I have stress in my life.

Okay - never mind because I can't figure out how to even get the stupid photo on here, but it WAS a pic of my husband standing on a step ladder on top of the third tier of scaffolding, putting siding on our house. He's nearly to the roof!

I know I jumped off 40 foot cliffs into a water-moccasin-infested lake when I was a kid, but that was different.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Ruth! I love that smiley. I don't think I've seen it before.

I know worrying is useless, but he still can't use his right arm correctly from the fall off the ladder six weeks ago. But he refuses to go to the doctor.

Men are so difficult!

But my muscles are beginning to scream so I'm going to go relax with a hot rice bag.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Dave!

{{{sissy}}}

You all may have noticed that I haven't been around as much lately. I'm still trying to pop in at least once a day to make sure things are okay, but I'm super busy with real life annoyances at the moment, so may not be around quite as much for awhile. So, please report posts if there are problems. And stay bouncy. :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
a pox on real life!

I'm finding mine pretty annoying lately, too. There's my own health, with the arthritis flaring up because I had to go off my meds, plus now I have a nasty cold. Then there's my mom's health, with a degenerated disk in her neck that isn't responding to treatment so she's in too much pain to do any of the things she enjoys. Then there's my son, who has a skin condition and the new dermatologist wants to try light box treatments 3 times a week for the next 3 months.

There just doesn't seem to be any time or energy left right now to get anything done. Feeling kind of discouraged...

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Who's got a new job, all caps, and four exclamation marks?

THIS GUY!!!!

I'm now a 'marketing executive', which is just a snazzy name for a door-to-door canvasser of building exterior protection assessments. It pays well, even though it's gonna involve a LOT of rejections - but that's just perfect as I near the submission process of EF 1!

Dave
Congrats, Dave. I know what it's like not to have a job, so a job is a job and you'll do great.

I know I jumped off 40 foot cliffs into a water-moccasin-infested lake when I was a kid, but that was different.
You were nuts, totally bonkers. Must have been fun, though. :D
Congrats, Dave!

{{{sissy}}}

You all may have noticed that I haven't been around as much lately. I'm still trying to pop in at least once a day to make sure things are okay, but I'm super busy with real life annoyances at the moment, so may not be around quite as much for awhile. So, please report posts if there are problems. And stay bouncy. :Jump: :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:
Real life is an annoyance. I've got your back. And a nice back it is, if you don't mind me saying. Maybe could do with waxing, though. It's like watching planet of the apes. :D

*Runs and hides in preperation for impending hitting*

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know where your secret lair is, dragon. And I'm a pretty good slayer. Just sayin.

{{{Judy}}}

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sick and crabby today, but this afternoon I got to do my first official substitute teaching-- for about 45 minutes :D It went pretty well but by the end I was croaking like a laryngitis-ridden bullfrog. O well.

The kinders were asked to draw self portraits today, with lots of details. One boy cried out in despair, "Oh, I've messed this all up!" The little girl across from him didn't even skip a beat, and replied, "It's okay. Just do your best." :) I was very impressed as they've only had about a month of civilizing.