Which classic?

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
So after I finish Number The Stars and Great Gilly Hopkins, I'm considering a complete program of going through all the major classics in MG literature.

Is there one I should start with?

I came into middle grade preferring science fiction, though I'm warming up to Fantasy (especially portal fantasy), in a very limited sort of way. I'll probably skip jungle book, I have mixed feelings about Dr. Dolittle, but other than that I have a complete line up of books to start with.

I'm hoping hoping, the books are very different from the Disney incarnation.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The The Witch of Blackbird Pond was cool (historical MG)
Also the Bridge to Terabithia.

Disney takes a lot of liberties, so it's likely they are different.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would second Bridge to Terabithia (although some younger people don't like it because of the ending).

Maybe some of Neil Gaiman's books.

You could also look at some of the Newbery Medal winners and honors (Bridge to Terabithia was a Newbery winner).

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
RE: The Jungle Book - It's a bit thick, and Kipling shows his era something fierce (somehow simultaneously celebrating India's wildlife while glorifying its destruction and English rule), but you might give it a try. The Disney animated version kept little but the names. (There was a much better, sadly overlooked live-action version in the 1990's starring Jason Scott Lee, though it also deviates significantly from the source material.)

Gary Paulsen's Brian Robeson books begin with the classic survival tale Hatchet - well worth a read, if you haven't.

You mentioned Number the Stars... can't recall if it won any awards, but Jane Yolen's The Devil's Arthimetic deals with the Holocaust, as well, and is widely considered a classic. She's an author you might want to explore; her Pit Dragon Chronicles (a trilogy until fairly recently) are technically sci-fi, but were classified as Fantasy for marketing reasons.

Avi also does some good stuff; The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle not only won awards, but ended on an uplifting note - which is surprisingly rare, in my reading experience.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Are you looking for modern classics – say the last 20 years or so?

Or classics of children's literature, which very few if any kids read today, but some of which are truly lovely books.

If the latter, I'd suggest Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit. Very English, and written well over a century ago, but anyone writing MG books, especially fantasy, should at least be familiar with it.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Well actually I'm thinking more 1890s to 1934. Mary Poppins era.

But yea I've been especially curious about Bridge To Terribithia. Especially because one review I've seen, said she doesn't really pull any punches.

That just shows you, how recent classics can be.^^

I remember seeing Moon Over Manifest at a beach book store. I'll need to check it out.

Last edited:

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
What is Escape To Witch Mountain considered? I didn't know it was actually a book first, though I'm not surprised.

I bet the book is so much better. Plus it has sequels, which is strangly ... reassuring actually. This is bringing back memories of movie adaptations I wish I forgotten.:/ More the sequels though.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'd suggest 'From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler' by E.L. Konigsburg. Or her 'Jennifer, Hecate, MacBeth, William McKinley, and me, Elizabeth'. They were her first two books, published in the same year, 1968, when they won a Newbery Medal and Newbery Honor, respectively. If you can only read one. I'd go with 'Mixed-Up Files', but that's personal preference.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I was actually looking for that one just now. It took me a bit to remember the name. (I tend to think in images, and thus images are how I remember books.)

Fantastic, on my want to reads.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A story that resonated hugely with me, when I read it as a kid, was The Boxcar Children, by Gertrude Chandler Warner. It might have been the first actual book-sized book I ever read. And it was an older story, even back then.*

caw

* We won't go into the arithmetic of what "even back then" means, will we?

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
A story that resonated hugely with me, when I read it as a kid, was The Boxcar Children, by Gertrude Chandler Warner. It might have been the first actual book-sized book I ever read. And it was an older story, even back then.*

caw

We certainly will not. :D

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

caw

We certainly will not.;)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
What is Escape To Witch Mountain considered? I didn't know it was actually a book first, though I'm not surprised.

I bet the book is so much better. Plus it has sequels, which is strangly ... reassuring actually. This is bringing back memories of movie adaptations I wish I forgotten.:/ More the sequels though.

the televised version is nothing short of awful :-o
the book was remarkably good. a fun read.

another from yesteryear is Oliver Twist
good, entertaining read by Dickens, though perhaps one too many plot twists

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Yea I'll check out the book then. I was a bit hesitant to trash the TV show, as maybe there is something ... I'm missing. Like the twins bit?o_O I liked SF, but that ... didn't feel SF. Or fantasy to me.

I'll check out the Box Car children.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I would go back even a little farther for classic- classics

The Secret Garden and The Little Princess and - Francis Hodgson Burnett
The Borrowers- Mary Norton

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I have those books actually (thank you public domain. And of course thank you Mrs. Burnett.)

I'm iffy about the beginning of Secret Garden, yet Little Princess has a fantastic opening. So I'll probably read on that for while.

I might actually like to compare older and newer classics. There is something specifically I'm looking for: fiction for young people that is darker like adult fiction, but has the voice that sort of gives it away as MG.

Middle Grade is definitely ... distinctive. I'm not sure what the difference is exactly.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
For darker, consider Lemony Snicket or Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

I love the Chronicles of Narnia, all of Judy Blume (all of the ones that are Middle grade that is), same for Katherine Patterson. Tuck Everlasting is good. Mixed Up Files is one of my favorites. Try Maniac McGee too. It's my nine year old's favorite. Let's not forget Madeline L'Engle and E. B. White.

I'm going to stop here, but I could go on forever.

I read a series in fourth grade that contained a bunch of books with similar cover designs. It included Dinky Hocker and Escape to Witch Mountain along with Freaky Friday and a whole bunch more. I went through them all. I wish I owned them now.

MirandaintheMidwest

Registered
Reaction score
I might actually like to compare older and newer classics. There is something specifically I'm looking for: fiction for young people that is darker like adult fiction, but has the voice that sort of gives it away as MG.

I would recommend Philip Pullman's HIS DARK MATERIALS trilogy, but I'm not sure many people consider it MG because it does get heartwrenchingly dark at the end.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
The Phantom Tollbooth. I loved that one. My son loves the Dav Pilkey books, including including the Captain Underpants series, because as he reminds me, he is 12 and 12 year olds love toilet humor. He also loves Beast Quest, Goosebumps and recently Deltora Quest.

That's my boy!!!

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'll definitely try His Dark Materials. I'll definitely check out all of these.

Also just rented Danny Champion Of The World. It's old, so probably an out of date style. And a more recent one, that I'm not sure might be an author here. Looks fantastic.

It's by Elise Broach.

BekkahSmith

Registered
Reaction score
I loved TheTrue Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (read several times), The Secret Garden, The Witch of Blackbird Pond (read it until it fell apart), Anne of Green Gables, and Caddie Woodlawn.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
One of the great pioneers of Fantasy fiction was Victorian George Macdonald. He wrote books both for adults (Phantastes, Lilith) and for children (The Princess and the Goblin, The Princess and Curdie, At the Back of the North Wind), and all remain wonderfully readable today. I read the three children's books, aloud, to both my kids when they were maybe eight or nine, and they adored them.

As an aside, he was the grandfather, I believe, of early 20th century British mystery writer Philip Macdonald, who is also very good at his chosen craft.

As a newer title, I'd recommend The Never-Ending Story, by the ironically-named Michael Ende.

caw

Last edited:

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
He's that fairy tale guy right? Cause I'm actually specifically interested in fairy tales.

Princess And The Goblin?