Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is with great pleasure that I announce

THE WRITING FOR KIDS WINTER CONTEST!

What It’s About

• Entries must include: A disappointing cookie.
  • Entries must be titled.
  • Entries must be 600 words or less (not including the title).
  • Entries must be written for kids! But all genres are welcome.
People vote for their top three favorites. First-place votes get three points; second-place votes get two points; third-place votes get one point.

The entry with the most points wins.

GRAND PRIZE: $35 in Amazon giftcards

2ND PRIZE: $30 in Amazon giftcards

3rd PRIZE: $20 in Amazon giftcards

• Entrants must be members of AW in good standing since at least December 14, 2014 (members who joined later than December 14, 2014 will not be eligible for this contest). Limit ONE entry per member.
  • Entries will be posted exactly as entered – except that they will all be posted in similar font. Please make sure your spelling and formatting are exactly as you want them before you submit your entry. I will not proofread or edit the entries.
  • All AW members in good standing since at least December 14, 2014, are eligible to vote.
Entrants must vote to be eligible to win.

How to Enter

Using the board's private message function, send me your entry by January 1, 2015 at 7:00 P.M. US EASTERN (Know your time zones). I will post the entries, all at once, and open the voting.

Do NOT post entries in this thread. They will be deleted and disqualified (all entries must remain anonymous to ensure fair voting).

How to Vote

Once the entries are posted, you may send me your vote – one vote per current AW member in good standing since at least December 14, 2014, also using the private message function.

In the subject line of your private message, type VOTE: CONTEST

In the body of the message, include up to three votes in order, from first to third. List both the entry number and the title. For example:

6. Bust Your Capulet
3. You've got Rhythm
12. Happy Feet

YES, entrants may vote for themselves.
biggrin.gif

Voting will close at 7:00 P.M. US Eastern on January 14, 2014. Any votes received after that time won't count.

I will then post complete results with vote totals for every entry, and announce the winners!

HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK!

* Please thank our wonderful prize donors: alleycat, heza, Supergirlofnc, and MJWare. *

Last edited:

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FAQs

1. Can I enter more than once? No. The rules say one entry per member.

2. Can I tell my friends to vote for me? No. Entries must be anonymous. It's a writing contest, not a popularity contest.

3. Does my entry have to be a complete story? No. Short stories are welcome, but so are poems, novel openings, scenes, etc.

4. What if I joined AW after December 14th? You are not eligible to enter or vote in this contest.

5. What does it mean to be a "member in good standing"? If you received a ban or a time out and it was not lifted by 12/14, you are not eligible to enter or vote in this contest (this does not apply to self bans).

6. Will people know which entry is mine? No. Entries are anonymous. After voting has closed, the winners' names and entries will be announced. All other entrants will be free to say which entry belonged to them at that time, if they want to.

7. Can I vote for myself? Yep.

8. When you say it has to be written for kids, what do you mean? MG-voice or younger. There is a lot of overlap between upper-MG and lower-YA. So, the basic rule of thumb for contests in the Writing for Kids room is: Tween voice okay. Teen voice probably not.

9. Can I see entries from previous contests held in the Writing for Kids room? Sure. Entries from the last three contests can be found here (prompt: wet socks) and here (prompt: "The lunch lady hates me.") and here (prompt: a skeleton key). The password for SYW is vista.

10. What if my question wasn't answered in these FAQs? Read the rules again, carefully. If your question still hasn't been answered, feel free to post it in this thread.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We now have prizes. Many thanks to our wonderful friends: alleycat, heza, Supergirlofnc, and MJWare! :TheWave:

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Finished! I sent a DM to check to see if it was OK though. I tend to do a lot of side stories and stories that share the same character based on prompts these days.

Last thing I want to be known as is a cheater.:/

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As long as no one knows your character and your entry would be completely anonymous, it's fine. :)

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've written any kids stuff but I think I might just give this a go. Thanks, Smish.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note that PMs are currently not working.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'll try to get voting when I can. I (once again) lost my laptop charger. I guess I could do it on tablet, its just tedious.

I'm like the biggest cluts ever.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the entries won't be up for voting until January 1. Hopefully you find your charger before then.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, folks, the deadline is this coming Thursday.

Get to writing if you haven't already.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have three more days.

I've sent mine in.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My story that came in second for the first kidlit (back when YA was part of "Writing for Kids") contest was just published, guys. It can happen!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My story that came in second for the first kidlit (back when YA was part of "Writing for Kids") contest was just published, guys. It can happen!

Yay! :TheWave:

Get those entries written and submitted. I've only received 7 so far.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only seven entries?

Why, I'm sure to finish in the top ten this year. What's the prize for 8th place?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I bet a lot of people enter at the last second.