AW Musicians / Songwriters / Lyricists

wilde is on my side

Registered
Reaction score
Play: The piano (for a short while as I got impatient due to the fact i can't seem to understand music notes), guitar (im no Jimi Hendrix but im getting better and am good enough to play blues solos and write a song)

I learnt by listening to the song and copying. I also just used to watch other guitarists hands and just copy the sounds until i played a note which sounded vaguely like his :))

My dream is really just to write better and better songs and maybe find a songwriting partner?

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
anybody know the answer?

Can anyone tell me if they've signed any sync licensing? Do you get your half of the license fee from your publisher or from your PRO? (BMI)

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Been singing as long as I can remember.

I sing in church now,

... but there was a time when I'd stick a magnolia blossom behind my ear and belt out a mean version of Billie's Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do ...

or pull on my white, patent-leather go-go boots and do a little I'm Every Woman or Last Dance with Chaka and Donna. ;)

T. Trian

Banned
Reaction score
I've played classical guitar for about 24 years. When I was 18 I practiced around 6-8 hours a day because I wanted to get into the Sibelius Academy (the most prestigious university-level music school in Finland) but my left wrist got busted a few weeks before the entrance exam/performance (a cyst inside the bone). It had to be operated and that's how fate basically chose my profession (my second option was to study English philology and that's what I'm studying now).

I've played drums for about 19 years or so, can't remember exactly, and I would have wanted to become a pro drummer in addition to a classical guitarist, but for the last 10 years or so I've focused on electric guitar (I also write the songs for my band).

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with all the annoying stuff that comes along with gigging (lugging heavy gear around, dealing with the inevitable technical problems that just belong to live music, it seems, and the endless hours spent waiting for your turn to play), but when I'm on the stage doing my thing, that's when I know it's all worth it. It's just an amazing rush to go out there, perform your own songs, and let yourself be carried away on the adrenaline high.

haunted

Registered
Reaction score
Quite excited about publisher getting my song in a movie trailer. The song starts at 1min 8 secs. Here's the link:WARNING: NC17 red band trailer, language, nudity, violence! Good movie though, Matthew McConaughey in a very different role for him! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M12DPZgW_E

haunted

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you onesecondglance! I have been on cloud nine about it! And I just happen to like Matthew McConaughey, so it's a bonus!

TimSenese

Registered
Reaction score
I taught myself how to play guitar when I was a sophomore in college (I graduated almost 3 years ago now). I've gotten pretty good I think, especially since I've taken no lessons or anything from anybody, just whatever I've read online.

I'd like to explore the music side of things (as compared to my writing) and see where it goes. I could definitely get a small band together and play some local shows, open mic nights, things like that. But I'm not sure how good I really am, so I'm not sure how far I'd get!

Still though, it's one of my favorite hobbies, and I don't think I'll ever give it up. Or let it down.

Alegranssa

La vérité est dans le vin !
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pambiance.com
I am happy to announce my latest CD with my band, The Pralines :) The CD is called "A Beautiful View" and it's available via iTunes, Amazon, CDBaby.com, and Bandcamp.com: http://thepralines.bandcamp.com (you can listen to it at Bandcamp, too). Search "The Pralines" at these sites, and our stuff will come up. Enjoy, and tell your friends!

Emily Muyskens

Modern-Day Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilykate.org
What a fun thread! Songwriting was my first writing love though now I've been spending a lot of time on my novels. I'm inspired by a variety of genres and that shows in my songs. It's a whole heap of fun. :) I'm playing in a band though all of my recorded stuff online so far is just my acoustic stuff.
Take a listen if it suites you: https://soundcloud.com/em_kate
As I like to say:
I believe that well-written and thought-out stories are powerful. I believe that artfully composed music is powerful. When combined … it’s nothing less than mind-blowing.
Hooray!

MichaelBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
worldconditions.com
Hi

OK, here goes nothing. This is my first post for AbsoluteWrite. I’m not sure if I’m the oldest person writing in this particular forum. I am as old as dirt – younger by just a few months, actually.

I read quite a few posts, but became impatient. It’s not that the posts were boring. The posts I read were extremely interesting and most of you have good reason to be proud of yourselves. You’ve tried and are still trying. Effort has got to count for something.

I, indeed, have a web site which contains my music, but I won’t direct you there yet because I don’t want to seem as if I’m spamming this board. However, if I said I didn’t join this board in order for people to hear my music, it would be quite disingenuous. I don’t think any of us have joined this board simply to hear the work of others. Having said (or, more accurately, written) that, I believe it’s important to listen to the music of others. I can think of two good reasons why it’s important.

First, everyone needs encouragement. I hope that when I do take the time to hear some music, I can critique it in such a way that it will be helpful to the writer.

Secondly, my music is eclectic; maybe too eclectic. It’s eclectic because I’ve listened to many different artists who play many different genres of music. I like people to say, “If you’ve heard one, you’ve heard one” about my music. I cover almost every genre of popular music. I cover several types of rock, some rockabilly, jazz, honky-tonk, borderline country and western, reggae and I’ve even written a couple of songs which are reminiscent of symphonic music. I don't really do any rap or hip-hop, but I have written and recorded a song entitled "denial" which is a spoken word song in which the speaking is in rhythm with the rhythm of the song. In another song, I do the same thing but only in one small part.

I can read and notate music but am too lazy to put my songs on a staff. Maybe one of you can do that for me if I’m really, really nice.

I’ve produced 10 albums (CDs) and two singles. I play every instrument but one in every song on every album. Now, when I say I play every instrument, I don’t mean that I play strings or brass or reed instruments. My Casio WK-3700 keyboard provides those sounds. I do, however, play the keyboard, which allows me to make the sounds properly. I was in the school band way, way, way back in high school and am aware of how long a violinist can stroke a bow or how long a horn player can hold a note – for the most part. So there aren’t any musical “fantasies” in my songs.

The keyboard also has a drum machine functionality. However, I don’t press a button and allow one rhythm to play straight through any song. I mix and match fillers which I choose among the different rhythms.

I've used midi instruments, but very sparingly. Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.

I use no computer program to create music. I don’t use loops created and recorded by others. I produce all of the music. I merely use Sony Acid Pro 7 to mix the sounds. Sony Acid is my program of choice because it’s stable, extremely user friendly and allows for an “infinite” number of tracks. The highest number of times I’ve recorded myself is 10. It’s fun, man!

I’ve written 126 songs, 112 by myself and 14 with some very talented lyricists. Consequently, the vast majority of songs on my albums are originals. I cover, with permission, only three songs. I cover an old rock n’ roll song that was originally recorded in the early sixties by a group called The Ronettes. The song is called “Be My Baby” and it’s one of my all time favorite songs. I also cover an old American labor song entitled “Joe Hill”. This song was written in 1936 by two gentlemen named Earl Robinson and Alfred Hayes. Finally, I cover a song written by a friend I met at another literature based message board. The person’s name is Jason Oliver and the song is called “Cemetery Rose”. That’s it for covers.

With a few exceptions, I provide all of the vocals in my songs. I provide the lead vocal and every back-up harmony with a few exceptions. My wife, Tina, sings with me in a song entitled “Don’t You Wish Today Would Never End”. Two very talented women, Doreen Peri and Kim Chong, sing a song I wrote called “I Can’t Be Owned”. They are both on my album From The Heart. The renditions are different from one another yet both are very good. Doreen sings “I Can’t Be Owned” on the second track and Kim sings it on the tenth track. I also wrote a 10 minute spoken word piece called “I Long For A Better World”. I needed a “gospel lady” sounding voice for that song and Halley Crast provides that voice and more in “I Long For A Better World”. Halley and I provide backup harmony for the song and, at times, we sound pretty much like a choir. Finally, my daughter, Leyna, sings a song entitled “my lost love” on my album Young Man (look at my life) (yep, I ripped off Neil Young with that title). Leyna not only performs the song but wrote it as well. I’m really proud of her. Leyna, Tina and I do all of the album art.

I play a Takamine acoustic guitar, a Gibson ES175D electric guitar, a Fender Stratocaster electric guitar, a Fender Jazz Bass and, of course, the keyboard..

I’ll try to listen to your music and I’ll attempt to constructively comment on it. I’ll post or link to my songs one at a time, every three weeks or so. As I mentioned, I want it to be no secret that I want people to hear my music and critique it. However, I need to work at listening to the creativity of others and critiquing it.

To friendship,
Michael

“Fools rush in where fools have been before.” – Unknown

Have no fear about the signature. I don’t presume anything. I’ve just been using this signature for quite a few years. I thought that, while others were saluting our troops or our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan or the flag or the bible, it might be refreshing to salute friendship, that’s all.

specialerkittie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katrinalouisesandle.com
I've been playing music since I was 4: started on the violin. (one of these days I may even let you hear that, but we don't need to talk about my practicing habits here, do we?)

I've been playing piano for over 20 years, and Guitar for about as long. I sing. I write songs- lyrics, melodies, harmonies, electronic noises in the background, ambient… everything except percussion. It's embarrassing. But I've been working at it a bit, more minimalistically lately, and I think it's passable.

I would really like a career in music. Currently I teach piano, guitar, voice, and theory, and the theater misses my tech abilities, but mom said I needed a real job and that real job requires 150% of time in existence so…

I think in terms of my skills I've either got way too much self confidence and need to step back a notch, or clearly I don't have enough and should just bite the bullet and get out there and do something. I have examples up on my website ( http://www.katrinalouisesandle.com/Music.html) if you're curious. Don't judge me too harshly. After relistening I've decided basically all of them now need rerecording with an actual producer...

haunted

Registered
Reaction score
Hi special;

I've had a career in music for many, many years. The book writing/publishing is new to me, and I'm loving it.

if you are teaching music then you already have a career in music! I don't teach, but perform full time, and have a music publisher who pitches my song catalogue to film/tv/ and artists looking to record. (they recently got a song from my catalogue in the Matthew McConaughey trailer as I mentioned above, and are now pitching to "True detectives" on HBO)

It's all subjective I guess, what consists of a music career. Just as in book writing, songwriting doesn't always pay the bills and you always have to have a plan B. :) I've been lucky to make my living at music all these years, but I'm not rich either. That's the arts for ya! The love of it is supposed to substitute for the lack of huge sums of money. LOL

specialerkittie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katrinalouisesandle.com
Hi Haunted,

Thanks for the encouragement. Come summer I'm hoping to pick up a few more students so I can afford to ditch the full time depressing gig and maybe get some more writing done.

True Detective is a pretty big thing! I keep hearing about it at the least. Hope it all works out!

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I play drums and a little keyboards. I'm in a local band but we vary rarely play live. We do write and record songs. My cousin currently plays keyboards for Hank Williams, Jr. He's played with Mick Jagger; Keith Richards; Lynyrd Skynyrd; Matchbox 20; Kentucky Headheadhunters, Drivin and Cryin; Soul Asylum; and hundreds of others. You'd think I'd use him to get into the business, but I'm just not that good.

Last edited:

Jack Oskar Larm

Just me and my guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Although a late bloomer, I consider my biggest success being a singer-songwriter. It pays less in dollars and cents and more in personal satisfaction. I've been involved in a few bands, but currently I either work solo or with my best musical buddy.

As a musician my key focus is lyric writing, melody discovery, singing and playing guitar. To date, I've written about 200 songs.

I enjoy all facets of the industry including performing live, recording and writing.

I have two main guitars: Maton acoustic (Australian made) and Fender Stratocaster (USA made). I also dabble a little with the Finnish instrument, Kantele.

The dream? To be paid enough to make music my main occupation.

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
Music is my first and greatest love. However, I have very little talent. I play no instruments and have a horrible singing voice. I’m purely a lyricist. I’ve dabbled in many different forms but my main genres are:
1. R&B and Soul
2. An R&B/Pop blend
3. Alternative rock

Main songwriting inspirations include Richard Marx, Bernie Taupin, Brian McKnight, Eric Clapton. One of my biggest dreams in life is to meet Richard Marx and together write one of the saddest love songs ever made.

stevkaprel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an octogenarian who plays bass (string, guitar and tuba). Started in high school with school band and small combo playing for proms, parties, events. Did nothing until nearing reirement when I began to practice string bass again. Took up tuba again when I observed they are favored by bands playing "traditional" (i.e. dixieland) jazz. Have a regular gig playing dixieland on tuba in Forida during winter season but can't find a similar gig in Connecticut during other seasons. Quess I'm a musical dinasauer because most popular music created after the 1960s doesn't interest me.

ramendik

Registered
Reaction score
I am an aspiring lyrics writer, with some accomplishments around adaptation of Japanese songs into Russian (there's over 10 releases with my verse on YouTube). Trying to expand into English... slowly. A dream is writing a stage musical for the novel (about non-Japanese idol girls in Japan) I am currently writing, probably a jukebox musical unless a composer can be found; but I don't really think I'll manage *all* the lyrics on my own.