Who are some of your favorite singers?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Sharon is the perfect accompaniest for a vocal. Understated, doesn't get in the way, and recognizes that his job is to make the singer sound good. When he retired, I wanted his job. The line was way too long.

So many of our favorite singers got to be favorites because of the accompaniments.

This makes me think about the role that taste plays in a great performer. Great accompaniments, great arrangements, but I guess taste is a subjective thing? When they asked Bing Crosby what it was that made Sinatra such a great singer, he didn't hesitate, "Oh, taste, he's got great taste..."

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I could, but I can't turn it up loud enough to really listen. I leave my iPod plugged in, but because I'm in the front office, it's very quiet.

Oh, I see- well, if you're on the East Coast you've got the better part of the day licked. Plus, you know, it's Friday...

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I see- well, if you're on the East Coast you've got the better part of the day licked. Plus, you know, it's Friday...

Oh. Yeah. I've only got one hour and 10 minutes left! Then, I run to the bank, run home, workout, date night with hubby and then relax on the couch with new MUSIC!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Oh. Yeah. I've only got one hour and 10 minutes left! Then, I run to the bank, run home, workout, date night with hubby and then relax on the couch with new MUSIC!

That sounds great. So by date night, you mean you're going out?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds great. So by date night, you mean you're going out?

Nothing crazy. We don't really go out often at all. We go, once in awhile, to the best restaurant within a 5 mile radius - Bonefish. We're home within 90 minutes. LOL

Not exactly date night but the best I got!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Here's another one I really like - Patty Griffin.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing crazy. We don't really go out often at all. We go, once in awhile, to the best restaurant within a 5 mile radius - Bonefish. We're home within 90 minutes. LOL

Not exactly date night but the best I got!

I think that sounds perfect. So, Bonefish? That's a restaurant?

What part of the country are you in? American, right?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Sinead O'Connor. Foggy Dew. She sang it in one take. Incredible.

And yes, I'm sorry - I'm east coast, USA. Suburb of DC actually.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So what's everyone think about singers like Billie Holiday and Louie Armstrong, who didn't have God given beautiful voices (though I think Louie's might be considered beautiful in a unique way)

I like Louie Armstrong's voice--it's unique, and the gravelly-ness almost has a tangible effect on me. I think frequently it's more important to be unique than conventionally beautiful in a singer's voice. As much as I love Carpenter's and Ronstadt's voices, they sound almost generic next to Armstrong's. There are a lot of people with nice, strong, normal voices, but few stand out like Armstrong. You hear a couple seconds, you know it's him.

For example, Bonnie Tyler did not acquire her rough-sounding voice until she had a medical issue and surgery with her vocal cords. Query whether "Total Eclipse of the Heart" would have been as popular if she had a more generic voice. Yeah, it's over the top and melodramatic, but I love her version of that song. It's like, totally one of the songs evah.

Exactly. We wouldn't want to watch the exact same Snow White. That's why Mirror, Mirror was so awesome, IMO. Same story, different POV, different take. Not necessarily better than the classic.

"Mirror Mirror" was so different from "Snow White and the Huntsman." Entirely different movies.

Yeah, and I loved the Bollywood take on the music/dance in "Mirror Mirror." It's a lie if anybody tells you that I repeatedly watched the song/dance video (included in the blu-ray's extras) to dance along like a inept fool. ;)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I like Louie Armstrong's voice--it's unique, and the gravelly-ness almost has a tangible effect on me. I think frequently it's more important to be unique than conventionally beautiful in a singer's voice. As much as I love Carpenter's and Ronstadt's voices, they sound almost generic next to Armstrong's. There are a lot of people with nice, strong, normal voices, but few stand out like Armstrong. You hear a couple seconds, you know it's him.

I love the stuff Louie and Ella did together, the contrast of their voice qualities...

Cheek To Cheek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeisCvjwBMo&list=RD02io0uqrp9dco

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...So what's everyone think about singers like Billie Holiday?

It's hard to think of another singer who communicated the lyrics and the sentiment of a song the way Billie did

Dude, you're killing me softly with your words ^

Totally agree about Lady Day. ;)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Some great live performances...
One more from the incomparable Ella, live at Montreaux 1969.

She was such and amazing and proficient musician sometimes we forget she could flat out swing.

Give Me The Simple Life

This was Annie Ross' (Lambert Hendricks & Ross) signature song, along with Twisted (From a Wardell Gray sax solo)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Dude, you're killing me softly with your words ^

Totally agree about Lady Day. ;)

Yeah, it's true, right? Once you get started with Billie...

I don't like lookin' at the more recent stuff, though. Too hard.

Al, love that Dinah Washington link. Never heard that one, I love the sound of her voice... And Williebee, thanks for linking that Melody Gardot stuff. I'd never heard of her, but now I'll look for more...

And Rug, Ella, Ella, Ella...!

Here are two with Frank and her. Of course they'd both bring their A game. Frank is just in awe of her, you can see it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8uNRxSktlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Efk9s5xbo

And I can't get enough of this one from Nat.. You call it madness, I call it love!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQuF-2y1Vhk

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For up and comers, I'm really enjoying Brandi Carlile (check out "Dying Day" or "Someday never comes.") and Tift Merrit ("Broken" is a primo song!)

Sorry no YouTube links. YT chows through the data on pay-as-you-go internet!

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Patti Labelle

Mary J Blige

Floor Jensen

Ella Fitzgerald

Sarah Vaughan

Nat King Cole

Bobby Blue Bland

Shemika Copeland

Donny Hathaway

David Draiman

Elizabeth Fraser

Layne Staley

Regina Belle

baileycakes14

Registered
Reaction score
Meshell Ndegeocello. I wish my voice was as low and as smoky as hers.

And (I'm going to be picked on for saying this) Bob Dyaln. Not because his voice is particularly pleasant but because:

1- You ALWAYS know it's Bob Dylan (tons of character in his voice)
2- He sings with a ton of emotion
3- He's a great voice actor

Of course, this applies more to his voice when he was younger than his voice now. You can hardly understand him now, especially live hahaha.