Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
When I post something, is it better to have a gap between each paragraph for the thread?

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Writing is haaaaaarrrrrddddd.

This has been my whiny moment for the afternoon. Back to writing now.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason, one of the panels on my Goodreads is all narrow and tiny all of a sudden. Has anyone else ever had that problem?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm writing again. I'm hoping I might be able to finish in the next week or so. :)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to work on aPB, but instead I'm watching Veronica Mars.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha. True

Maybe I should have said: writing well/revising it to be better is haaarrrrdddd. And everything else y'all said. Le sigh.

Jealous of your VM watching, Sage! I wanna watch too!!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I agree everything is hard. I've been revising half the weekend and feel like I've barely made a dent.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Stigerrrrrrrr, can you PM me your e-mail addy? Dying to have long email chats with you!! ;)

You know what's also hard? Reading a great book and trying to convince people to buy it? They're skeptical bc it is self published.

Also: Lisa, get your butt to QLH if you haven't done so already! :tongue

*hugs* SAGEEEEEE!!!!!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Stiger and Sage! Writing's easy. Self promotion, publishing, querying, submitting, freaking out is haaaaaarrrrrdddd!

LisaLu! If you feel yourself flippin' out, I'm just an email away. I'm an idiot usually, but sometimes I make a little sense. Depends on how much I've been drinking, I reckon.

VERONICA MARS! Love! I'm crazy cool with all the VM love. To be honest, I think it was a HUGE influence on my YA trilogy. They're all murder mysteries dealing with current teen issues, lotsa' humor, mystery, awesome (I hope) characters and intrigue. I don't think I realized it until another author asked who my "heroes" were. I said Harper Lee, Stephen King, Joss Whedon, and Rob Thomas.

Last edited:

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
Ugh! Found out some of my teacher-pals/beta readers are holding onto the pages I gave them until I pass ADEPT- the final step to being totally certified and tenured. The bastards! Do they not understand how writing helps me focus!

Still, I am doing great on my own and have great notes from my first betas. I'm gonna beta and edit this baby until someone tears it out of my hands!!!

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Writing is HAAAARD. All of the above.

I ripped apart my RIP yesterday and started laying out a Save the Cat beat sheet for it. Figured out where all its problems are...but of course, they're everywhere. It's a pantsed NaNo novel, and the more I write, the more I'm learning I'm not a pantser. In the meantime, trying to wrap a fanfiction piece I promised someone, but I HATE IT and I'm just enough of a writing perfectionist that I won't put anything out into the world, even if it's just a fan piece, that isn't my very best work. So, gutting that one too. It was also a NaNo project.

...I think I shall not do NaNo any longer...

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
It takes a brave writer to admit when something cannot be saved. Good on you, Jess.

Dorothy, it sounds like you have a well laid out plan. Keep going. You will get there. Worst case scenario, they can't publish the book without you.

Lisa, what is the word count and why does it make you worry?

FM, my editor had to tear my book from my hands, and I curse her when someone finds a typo. I could revise forever. He said work is never complete, only abandoned.

By the end of the day tomorrow, I will be over the hump of my writing challenge and more than halfway to completion. If I dare to be so bold, it is getting a wee bit easier. I noticed a crack to my plan, however. Editing is slow, and articles have to be accepted by the due date to get the bonus, which is next Saturday. I started on Friday and nothing has been edited yet. I have a feeling I am going to get screwed on this deal.

But, if I fulfill my part, even getting screwed by slow editing, I may have the attention of the CEO who might put my name on a list for other special projects.

Yes, folks, I am kissing up. In reality, it might be the writing challenge. A few weeks ago I applied for a job I didn't really want because it required a 2,000 word essay.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
JK - I doubt it's going to hit 25K, let along 30K...

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Jess: I've never tried NANO because I don't feel like I could put out something I'm happy with in that short a time. I'm afraid I would sink a lot of hours into writing something I would just scrap down the road. I think it works best for those who need something to get them motivated to write.

The more I write, the more I outline. I started as a full pantser, and even now I try not to tie myself down too much, but as I've been revising I've found myself struggling until I sat down with pen and paper and outlined each chapter. I think sometimes it helps just getting out of your box and trying something different. Outliners may have luck pantsing a chapter to get the gummed up words flowing again.

Writing is kind of like sports in that way. We each have different rituals and approaches that work best for us--although I hope there isn't anyone not washing their socks until their ms is complete!

(and this has been deep thoughts from the tiger...)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Pitches are up for writeoncon

And I got to round 2 in pitch madness, but I don't know what round 2 is...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Writing is HAAAARD. All of the above.

Do you know how I write so fast?

I tell myself.

"Zoombie, you can't eat until you've written 1,000 words. You can't eat those delicious waffles, soaked in butter and syrup, ready to be rolled into tubes and devoured by your voracious maw until 1,000 words are in your WIP.'

And if I need to write REALLY REALLY fast, I say...

"Zoombie, you can't use the bathroom until you've written 1,000 words, you lazy bastard."

Doesn't matter if those words are good or bad, cause you can always edit things later!

Status
Not open for further replies.