Transgender Character Reveal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhich

Registered
Reaction score
So, identical twin witches. One happens to be a boy. It is completely insignificant to the plot at this point.
Dysphoria and discrimination isn't really happening, he's comfortable for the moment. Potions and spells and such making him how he wants to portray his gender identity.
It's sort of a matriarchal witch society where women are seen as superior than men in magic, and women are typically the ones in power. So any discrimination would be more because he's a male witch rather than because he's trans.
I plan on having at least hints to it, such as taking potions as hormone therapy, the twins being identical twins, perhaps being called Miss by school officials who are unaware of the change prior to his arrival.
I don't plan in a big reveal where everyone finds out in a 'he's really a she' fashion.

My question is, should I state outright that he is trans?
Because when I was in a creative writing class, I had such a character and I never stated it outright and the teacher was the only one who caught the hints. My peers assumed he was just gay.
I'm concerned that my hints may be too vague.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting read. If the MC is trans--which is fine--shall I assume in the society you're creating there is no discrimination at all? If there isn't, why not just state he's trans and leave it at that? If, OTOH, there is discrimination, as a source of conflict, he may want to hide it until he meets someone he likes or someone else finds out.

Just some random thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.