How much do you use Goodreads?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a few run-ins with some self-appointed critics who gave the impression that they knew everything because they spoke to a publisher or editor who told them it was acceptable to use poor grammar and pass it off as "Hey, why be bound by rules?" Meh...

Goodreads is, IMO, good for what it is, but as with any forum, there are cliques and cadres and a whole lotta butthurt at times. So I just list my books, do reviews for those I know (or books I've read in the past before joining up with GR), join in a few conversations, put my book up for review, and let it go at that. There's no point in arguing with someone there. And yes, I always thank my critics whether I agree with their rating or not.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I use Goodreads, even now, for book reccs, but generally, reccs from people I know.

In some ways, LibraryThing is closer to my heart.

As a reader, Booklikes is worth checking out as well. It's very much about reviews and finding the next book to read.

Lizzie7800

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing my first goodreads giveaway right now, I hope it goes well. I've used it as a reader and really liked it, but am new to the author side.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I've been there for years and belong to about eight groups. But it's gawd-awful hard to keep up with all the threads. I do announce my latest blogs there to about three groups. It's good for give-aways and announcing new titles. I've had contests placed there by my publisher and the participating reader numbers were staggering. I think I ended up with over 600 TBR authors and readers, which I think is fairly good.

You've got to careful about self indulgent threads that are heavy on the promotion side--you'll get your thread hosed and kicked out. So you have to pick the right threads and forums for the proper info you want to display.

Oh, and did I say that Goodreads was massive?

tri

Coconut

Registered
Reaction score
I've won 2 books on giveaways :)

I really like the idea of being able to track my books and keep an eye on how many books of each writer I've read and what my favorite ones are, etc...

Not a fan of the groups. I'm a librarian, so I'm in that group. I'm also in the mysteries and beta readers groups. I like the betas group. It's very specific, which makes it pretty interesting, but I'm more of a lurker. I don't like to chat in the groups.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
I had a look around on GoofReads at groups relevant to my genre. What I saw was basically at least 1 author in each group with what appeared to be their own fanclub. Joining any group as an author would seem akin to a potential territorial encroachment. Otherwise the place seems generally political to me, which my logic would dictate a place like that to end up as anyway.

Last edited:

FCChen

All Ogre Now
Registered
Reaction score
Goodreads seems to be an amazing resource for readers. For writers, it can be a bit (for the lack of better word, or perhaps a better word just slips my mind,) "dangerous."

I've had a fair share of co-authors be lambasted on Goodreads and swore never to come on again. I can understand their point of view: my first book received some poor reviews (1 stars, when a majority of the readers gave 3-5 stars) and I understand where they're coming from, but I chose not to say anything or act on it.

Ultimately I just go on Goodreads to read about whether or not readers liked the next installment of series that I'm writing. I'm not very active on there. The community is built around readers more than writers, it seems like (which isn't a bad thing at all, in fact it's a good thing, or perhaps I'm just not established enough to make good use of it.)

JoleneHaley

Registered
Reaction score
I have my blog hooked up to Goodreads so that when I post on my blog, it trickles through. I mainly use it to meet people and find out about new books. Though, with so many of the new features like "ask author", etc. I think you can absolutely promote yourself for free (and successfully) through Goodreads.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
I'm in the middle of doing my first Goodreads giveaway (Lirbarything, too) and I'm pleased with the response. Don't know if it'll lead to anything, but I'm hopeful.