Any knitters in the house?

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
i have not tried the knitpicks noro yarns yet, but plan to for a scarf for a friend. they're not cheap, 8.99 a ball but there's almost 200 yds on a ball so i wont need much. but ll the other knitpick yarns have been awesome so i have faith.

for dpn's i find if you use bamboo needles they won't slide out. i dont like knitting with bamboo, way too slow after the addis but it's great if you dont want your needles to slip out.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I can't use bamboo either. My bunny found a pair and took a chomp out of them.

I stick to metal now :)

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I knit and crochet both; very handy for gift-giving.
I'll use up my acrylic yarns for crazy-color crochet hats, granny-square afghans or potholders.
I also use the acrylics to teach myself more complicated knit patterns.

When I feel confident enough with my knitting skills, I'll attempt a scarf or shawl with my stash of exquisite Noro yarns.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
And I've invested in lovely hand-crafted wood knitting needs and crochet hooks.
It makes me feel like every stitch is a work of art.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
Miss Macchiato - yesterday I saw an add for needles (straights and DPNs I think) that are made out of carbon fiber...just like the stealth bomber! They were very cool, and would be bunnyproof. But at about $35/set for dpns, they were a little rich for my blood.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
lol, pom! They sound awesome! How hardcore is that?

My bun would probably try it on though, just to make sure, lol

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I've invested in lovely hand-crafted wood knitting needs and crochet hooks.
It makes me feel like every stitch is a work of art.

I invested in a beautiful hand carved wood crochet hook twenty some years ago. Then promptly snapped the carved top off due to the way I hold a hook. Glued it back on, and it has become a display piece. I also have three ivory hooks from waaay back when. Two were my grandmother's and one I bought in an antique store. I've never crocheted with any of them.

MM

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
MM: I have flights of fancy sometimes.
I wonder if you would feel your grandmother's hands when you use her crochet hooks.
Maybe something of her remains with them.

My own mother has a talent for hand-crafting. I would love to tap into her talent somehow, even through osmosis.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't know about slipping the extra stitch either! That explains why I always get loose knitting at the place where there would be a seam in flat....

Nice one!

Last edited:

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
MM: I have flights of fancy sometimes.
I wonder if you would feel your grandmother's hands when you use her crochet hooks.
Maybe something of her remains with them.
QUOTE]

What a lovely thought! I like this image :D

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I tried and could not get the hand of it.

estyles

Registered
Reaction score
I'm to the point that I can't sit and do nothing without knitting. Just watching TV without anything in my hands feels like such a waste of time. And it's never just one project, there's the easy little thing to take with me, the living room knitting, the knitting in my bedroom for when I can't sleep, the TV knitting...

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if there are any other writers with a passion for knitting floating around in this forum. What I'm wondering is whether anyone else makes projects inspired by their characters? Or, conversely, if you knit projects inspired by movies and books you like?

Hmm. I knit. Definitely. Making projects inspired by my characters is an intriguing idea--except that I write knitting books.

So I 'm wondering, is there a way to invert that question? For example, do I ever think of writing a novel where my characters design handknit projects?

Yep, I'm on Ravelry - magsrags.
And I'm on Facebook: www.facebook.com/maggiesrags

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
Hi! I knit (sort of) and crochet. I just crocheted a clown made of circles on elastic, and I am knitting a 'calorimetry' hat/headband thing from knitty.com. My daughter loves it. Her friend knit her a heart, because she had a shirt that said I 'heart' zombies (but instead of <3 , it was a human heart). And her friend knit her a computer scarf.. you know, all 0's and 1's. My daughter got me re-interested in knitting when she bought the stitch and bitch books.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
My sister crochets; she's trying to sell some of her scarves and hats. She actually made an afghan; she's really good. You can find her work on Deviant Art.

http://metoria.deviantart.com/gallery/29578949

I have a camouflage hat and scarf she made me. :) She crochets the apparel and I help cut the wood for winter. Lol. We all pull our weight around.

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
I knit! I'm currently making a sweater out of Malabrigo lace that's heavily adapted from a pattern in the current Knitscene.

Triphi

Registered
Reaction score
I knit all the time! My second home is Ravelry, and these days I alternate my free time between writing my novel and writing up knitting patterns.

Side note: anyone else seriously wish Absolute Write would adopt Ravelry's message boards? I keep looking for the "agree", "disagree", etc. buttons....

Triphi

Registered
Reaction score
I'm to the point that I can't sit and do nothing without knitting. Just watching TV without anything in my hands feels like such a waste of time. And it's never just one project, there's the easy little thing to take with me, the living room knitting, the knitting in my bedroom for when I can't sleep, the TV knitting...

SO agree with this. I would knit in movie theaters if it didn't bug my husband.

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
anyone else seriously wish Absolute Write would adopt Ravelry's message boards? I keep looking for the "agree", "disagree", etc. buttons....

Ravelry has spoiled me for every other forum. I keep wanting to click "agree", or "funny", and those buttons just aren't there...

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
cute-kawaii-stuff-cheezburger-lover.jpg

I think this is sooooooo cute. Which reminds me, I'm about to knit a baby hippo toy for a friend. :)