American Horror Story

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Oh noooo! I was preoccupied and missed it yesterday. Completely forgot about it. Gotta watch. I hope it was good!

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
The Supreme's daughter was sort of crafty, no? Of course, she was derided for it.
True. She's crafty. Everyone else? More like superheroines. **shrug**

I have a question, tho, for the females in the audience. I (a gay man) felt that the new girl's "power" was vaguely misogynistic. I mean I felt the writers were being misogynistic. This may be just because she hasn't "learned to control it yet" and, once she does learn to harness it, it won't: a) rely upon a man to work, and b) play upon (some str8) men's fears that a woman's sexuality is evil. But this could just be me. Did it strike anyone else that way?

Her power is to screw men (maybe women, too; this wasn't covered) to death. She's basically a succubus. I'm not clear why this makes her a witch. I'm more puzzled by it than offended. And really, she screwed the rapist to death, which I guess is one for the irony column.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
American Horror Story: Coven is like Ryan Murphy, Freud, and Hannibal Lecter went into the hidden parts of my unconscious, had a baby together and let Marilyn Manson raise it. Then put it on a reality show where Jessica Lange was the host.

And that's why I love it so.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Worst Line: "I'm a human voodoo doll!" Way to info-dump! (Actually that whole dinner table discussion was a cornucopia of stilted dialogue and lazy writing.)

Best Line: pretty much anything uttered by Lange or Bates.

I actually loved the delivery of the voodoo doll line.

My personal favorite line of the night belonged to Paulson, something along the lines of 'When are you going to die and let me live my life?"

Other than that, Lange ripped up the rest of the casts scripts and was playing in her own world.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
She's basically a succubus. I'm not clear why this makes her a witch. I'm more puzzled by it than offended. And really, she screwed the rapist to death, which I guess is one for the irony column.

I find the succubus angle odd, too, but totally got why she took out the high school dude.

Partly because he was the rapist ringleader, partly because he survived the crash and the nicer kid from the wrong side of the tracks didn't.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
So, when someone is in a coma or whatnot, they can still get a boner? This is a legitimate question. Sorry if I'm a total dunce.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Worst Line: "I'm a human voodoo doll!" Way to info-dump! (Actually that whole dinner table discussion was a cornucopia of stilted dialogue and lazy writing.)

Yeah, I totally get that. Info-dumping indeed. But the info revealed was done so pretty good. Of course their actions would've showed their special power nice enough.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
So, when someone is in a coma or whatnot, they can still get a boner? This is a legitimate question. Sorry if I'm a total dunce.

No, no valid point! I wondered the same thing. Apparently he was conscious enough to die, saw it in the eyes and whatnot. She just rode him literally to death.

And what the hell, I expected Evan Peters to be around MUCH longer than that -- like the whole season. C'mon now! I hope something happens to where his character turns out to be alive somehow.

I always like Sarah Paulson and Jessica Lange was of course awesome. I just loved that image of Fiona and the girls trailing behind her, all women clad in black walking down town. What rubbed me the wrong way was how "bitch" was as casually thrown around as breathing air. That's just my personal hang-up though.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Of course their actions would've showed their special power nice enough.
And I'm not sure we needed to know everyone's super power right then and there ("I get it you're clairvoyant" came like 2 seconds before the voodoo doll line, making the whole scene quite stilted, I felt.)

No, no valid point! I wondered the same thing. Apparently he was conscious enough to die, saw it in the eyes and whatnot. She just rode him literally to death.
I immediately thought of the World According to Garp.
And what the hell, I expected Evan Peters to be around MUCH longer than that -- like the whole season. C'mon now! I hope something happens to where his character turns out to be alive somehow.
I thought Hermoine and Pansy Parkinson were going to bring him back to life a la Frankenstein. That was what I took from the previews...

Last edited:

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
And I'm not sure we needed to know everyone's super power right then and there ("I get it you're clairvoyant" came like 2 seconds before the voodoo doll line, making the whole scene quite stilted, I felt.)

I agree. All that info just came at us right there, back to back. Could've been gradually revealed, but I guess a lot was happening in the episode.

I immediately thought of the World According to Garp.

Never seen it, but I looked it up since you mentioned it. Ick. But it may have been a good movie anyway.

I thought Hermoine and Pansy Parkinson were going to bring him back to life a la Frankenstein. That was what I took from the previews...

Ahh. I'll have to watch the "Boy Parts" episode from this Wednesday again. He was "brought back."

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I enjoyed the last episode. But sex in a pentagram? Can't see that working out well...

I love the tete-a-tetes between bates and lange; I wonder just how much they can cram into a season. I vote for more of them and less of Hermoine and Pansy.

I was also thrilled Lily Rabe reappeared. I wasn't thrilled by nun-pazuzu last season, but she is one of my favorite actors in the series. But, being neither young nor female, is it possible a moderately knowledgeable young woman wouldn't know who Stevie Nicks is?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score

If Clerks has taught me anything, it's that the answer to "can they still get a boner" is always "yes," if the story requires it. ALWAYS.

As for Evan Peters, I have a feeling he's either A) dead and gone forever, and only showed up in the first ep as a tease for the Violet/Tate shippers (we are many, and not amused), OR B) coming back as a ghost/zombie/vampire/something. I have a feeling her weird succubus power might work in reverse. (Yes, that's where my mind went... What is this show doing to me...)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
If Clerks has taught me anything, it's that the answer to "can they still get a boner" is always "yes," if the story requires it. ALWAYS.

As for Evan Peters, I have a feeling he's either A) dead and gone forever, and only showed up in the first ep as a tease for the Violet/Tate shippers (we are many, and not amused), OR B) coming back as a ghost/zombie/vampire/something. I have a feeling her weird succubus power might work in reverse. (Yes, that's where my mind went... What is this show doing to me...)

Holy $%&&, a Clerks reference and a Near Dark avatar. Are you perfect? :)

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Enjoyed ep. 2. Like the tension between voodoo practitioners and witches. (Or maybe just Angela/Jessica/Kathy, because damn, these women are amazing!) And Lily Rabe? Fabulous! Looking forward to ep. 3.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Twisted episode (wouldn't expect anything less for this show) and some WTF?! moments. Whoa...

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they really went hard last night.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I handled almost everything perfectly fine -- except for Kyle's mom with Kyle. I said out loud, "EW" and it made me feel horribly uncomfortable.

Wow, this particular incarnation of AHS is every misogynist's nightmare, isn't it?

Patti Lupone? AH!!!!! Love her!

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell if the Stevie Nicks thing is supposed to be for real, or just Lily Rabe's own personal brand of super-fan crazy. With this show, it could go either way.

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
I was afraid after the first two episodes that this season was going to be... well... boring. The last season scared the crap out of me, which had a lot to do with the setting itself. This last episode, though? I'm still processing.
What. the. hell. So much I didn't expect like Emma whatsherface being killed off so quickly, being the most notable of the young actresses on the show

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Yes - but especially when there's a character who literally has the power to revive the dead, getting killed isn't as much of a finality as it would otherwise suggest.