What are the *current* best websites to promote your FREE KDP days?

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked dozens of times, but I'm not asking how to promote my KDP days - I'm trying to update my list of current websites. I'd like to do mostly cost-free promoting, but I'm willing to drop ~$60 on promoting. I'm aware that this excludes me from Bookbub.

I keep finding hundreds of "promote your free days with us!" websites that are now defunct. They seem to pop up and die like mushrooms, so I'm not really sure who to go with.

This will not be my first time doing a free promotion, but it will be my first time really throwing some weight behind it. I normally submit to all the facebook "free ebook" groups the day of - but now I'd like to know if anyone here has any success, and with which websites.

Thank you!

Edit: Info on the book - Fiction, Psychological thriller, In the Devil's Dreams. It is my only book, and I'm just hoping to boost my sales. I went from selling 25 books/month with no marketing to 50 books/month with just a few unadvertised KDP promotions. I'd love to get that number higher. I am a full time graduate student doing a PhD so I'm unable to devote a large amount of effort to blogtours and article writing, but I do understand the value of doing those things, and plan to engage in them over summers.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on what genre your book is; where your audience is, what your audience is, what you're hoping to get out of your promotion, whether or not you have any other books published, whether or not you have any sort of following and if so, who they are...

You also have to consider what sort of work you want to do. Do you expect to take part in a blog-tour, and if so, do you expect to write all the required articles yourself, or do you want the blog host to do that? Do you want your book reviewed all over the place? Do you want interviews, or features, or a mixture of all of these choices? Do you have the time and energy to keep up with all the comments on those articles? Or do you want to just hit and run, and get your book featured with no effort on your part? Are you able or prepared to supply review copies, author photos, competition prizes? Can you provide good quotes and anecdotes? Can you promise anything in return, apart from money?

In other words, it's impossible to answer your question with any degree of accuracy as there are too many variables.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Hack, I replied to your comment by editing my original post!

It would have been better if you'd included the update in a new post. Editing your posts after someone has already replied to them causes confusion.

Also, the image in your signature is a bit big, I think. It's currently 254px × 394px; if you look at the FAQ about signatures we ask for people to restrict their size to 800px x 200px. You might like to edit it down.

Edit: Info on the book - Fiction, Psychological thriller, In the Devil's Dreams. It is my only book, and I'm just hoping to boost my sales. I went from selling 25 books/month with no marketing to 50 books/month with just a few unadvertised KDP promotions. I'd love to get that number higher. I am a full time graduate student doing a PhD so I'm unable to devote a large amount of effort to blogtours and article writing, but I do understand the value of doing those things, and plan to engage in them over summers.

Have you read the main sticky in this forum?

How to promote your book like an intelligent human being and not an SEO Dweeb

It gives you all sorts of information on how best to promote your books.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I submitting my free promotion to any sites that'd take it. None of the top sites listed my book, whereas some of the smaller ones did. So there's no reason really to limit it. Though with 50 sales a month, it seems your big issue is only having one book, rather than your sales.

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
Paid promotions like Bookbub for KDP Free Promos?

Hi gang, I'm here for a bit of expert advice.
I published my book, In the Devil's Dreams, a few months back. I've run the KDP free days with varying success.

I know that Bookbub is more or less the sweetest peach, but since it's hard to get into, I wonder if there are other paid promotional sites that are worth the shot. I've exhausted all of the free resources I know of, mostly Goodreads giveaways and free e-book blast sites.

What are your thoughts?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought is that your signature is huge, and you need to make it much smaller.

If you go to the FAQ room there's a thread there about image sizes and signatures which will give you guidance.

ETA: You started a thread about this before, so I'm going to merge this with your previous thread. Just one thread per subject, and no duplicate posts either, please: AW is already huge and we don't want to make it bloated, too.

Also, I see I asked you to reduce the size of your signature before:

...the image in your signature is a bit big, I think. It's currently 254px × 394px; if you look at the FAQ about signatures we ask for people to restrict their size to 800px x 200px. You might like to edit it down.

I really don't want to have to ask you a third time. Get it sorted, thanks.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I know that Bookbub is more or less the sweetest peach, but since it's hard to get into, I wonder if there are other paid promotional sites that are worth the shot.

This is based on my experience and may not be typical, YMMV, etc.

The best results I've had were with E-reader News Today (ENT), a distant second was Kindle Books & Tips (KBT), and an even more distant third was The Fussy Librarian.

There are many, many sites out there ready to take your money, but very few of them deliver. If you're trying to filter the list, the first criterion should be the number of subscribers in your genre/category. If that number is not provided, move on.

ETA: oops...just realized you were asking about promoting a free book, not discounted. I've never done a free promo. All of mine were either regular price or Kindle Countdown promos. However, the basic lesson still applies: only the big-name sites seem to deliver results.

Last edited:

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
My first thought is that your signature is huge, and you need to make it much smaller.

If you go to the FAQ room there's a thread there about image sizes and signatures which will give you guidance.

ETA: You started a thread about this before, so I'm going to merge this with your previous thread. Just one thread per subject, and no duplicate posts either, please: AW is already huge and we don't want to make it bloated, too.

Also, I see I asked you to reduce the size of your signature before:

I really don't want to have to ask you a third time. Get it sorted, thanks.

I actually had my house broken into and my computer stolen (college town) so this is the first time I've posted since then. Sorry.

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
This is based on my experience and may not be typical, YMMV, etc.

The best results I've had were with E-reader News Today (ENT), a distant second was Kindle Books & Tips (KBT), and an even more distant third was The Fussy Librarian.

There are many, many sites out there ready to take your money, but very few of them deliver. If you're trying to filter the list, the first criterion should be the number of subscribers in your genre/category. If that number is not provided, move on.

ETA: oops...just realized you were asking about promoting a free book, not discounted. I've never done a free promo. All of mine were either regular price or Kindle Countdown promos. However, the basic lesson still applies: only the big-name sites seem to deliver results.

Thank you for this. Actually my KDP always tells me my book isn't eligible for a countdown. Any idea why? And can you tell me a bit more about your success with ENT?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Thank you for this. Actually my KDP always tells me my book isn't eligible for a countdown. Any idea why? And can you tell me a bit more about your success with ENT?

Yes, you can only do one promo per 90-day Select term: either free days or a Countdown, but not both.

As for ENT, my listing with them was back when they had their pay-for-performance model, and not their current flat rates, so that definitely helped my ROI. I sold 69 copies (at the Countdown price of $0.99) in one day with them, and continued to have a residual bump in sales for a couple of days after that.