Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #51
WeaselFire
Benefactor Member

WeaselFire has earned our admirationWeaselFire has earned our admirationWeaselFire has earned our admirationWeaselFire has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by melindamusil View Post
Just curious... do you prefer to store your WIP in one long document or multiple files?
Absolutely! Beats not storing them and having to rewrite the entire work every session.

Seriously, does it really matter? If I choose to store them by chapter, by scene, in one file or whatever, how does that affect the way you work best? Do what works for you and forget about anyone else, other than your agent.

FWIW, I usually do chapters. I also use Dropbox so the files are available everywhere.

Jeff
WeaselFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #52
Kimmy84
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Kimmy84 is on a distinguished road
note to self: must try Scrivener...

I use one Word doc, and insert bookmarks where each chapter starts... easy to find what I want when I want it. But I do have trouble keeping my chapter's in some kind of range as far as word counts, so I might make a liar of myself after trying Scrivener...

bloggy business
Kimmy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #53
Hydrogen
banned as an incurable tosspot

Hydrogen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy84 View Post
note to self: must try Scrivener...

I use one Word doc, and insert bookmarks where each chapter starts... easy to find what I want when I want it. But I do have trouble keeping my chapter's in some kind of range as far as word counts, so I might make a liar of myself after trying Scrivener...
They have a free trial. I think it's for 30 days.
Hydrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #54
Kimmy84

Kewl, will do that today!
Additionally, I use Google Drive to back up all my work. Plus its available anywhere, even on my phone! So if im out and about and get struck by an idea I can just add a document to the drive and it will be here when i get home! It also helps for people reading the book. They download the file, add comments, then load it back again. I can just download the latest version here to read them all.

bloggy business
Old 11-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #55
Kimmy84

Kewl, will do that today!
Additionally, I use Google Drive to back up all my work. Plus its available anywhere, even on my phone! So if im out and about and get struck by an idea I can just add a document to the drive and it will be here when i get home! It also helps for people reading the book. They download the file, add comments, then load it back again. I can just download the latest version here to read them all.

bloggy business
Old 11-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #56
Blinkk
Brace yourselves. Winter is coming

Blinkk has a golden reputationBlinkk has a golden reputationBlinkk has a golden reputationBlinkk has a golden reputationBlinkk has a golden reputationBlinkk has a golden reputation
Quote:
Additionally, I use Google Drive to back up all my work. Plus its available anywhere, even on my phone! So if im out and about and get struck by an idea I can just add a document to the drive and it will be here when i get home!
I do the same thing. I like it much better. I always have many back ups, of course. I like to keep everything in one file, though. It's just how I organize things. To each their own.

One Thousand Ghosts
- (working title)
fantasy WIP 70k
Demon in the Church - dark fantasy, short story WIP
The Hartglade - Shelved for later editing

Stock photo by jaymasee.
Blinkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #57
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
That's a curious problem. It's ridiculously easy to count words through a selected portion of an MS-Word document. Why would having things in a single big file make chapter word counts difficult to keep track of?

caw
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #58
WeaselFire
Benefactor Member

WeaselFire has earned our admirationWeaselFire has earned our admirationWeaselFire has earned our admirationWeaselFire has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
It's ridiculously easy to count words through a selected portion of an MS-Word document.
What we really need is an AW forum on using Word as a writing tool.

Jeff
WeaselFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #59
TheaBlowsKisses
steaming up the e-readers

TheaBlowsKisses is on a distinguished road
I keep one main document, and then write parts/sections/chunks in others. I edit about every 10K words or so (blasphemy, I know!), and once something is edited, it goes into the main document. Then once I'm all done and all the pieces are in place, the whole shebang gets edited again.

thealanden.blogspot.com
TheaBlowsKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #60
Mukavetz

Mukavetz is on a distinguished road
I fully intended to use one file in Word 2007, but started using two when I skipped ahead to write another section. My WIP is non-fiction though, and it made the files easier to work with.

They will probably stay separate until I make quite a bit more progress, then get merged back together. I don't like the idea of writing in the middle of a document for a long period of time.

I might have to give Scrivener a try. Word works well after all the various tweaks and settings are made, but obviously isn't made to format and produce eBooks.
Mukavetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #61
eyebee14
figuring it all out

eyebee14 is on a distinguished road
I start out as one file/document. But for my edits, I break it down by chapter. It's less intimidating for me. Once I am done with an edit, I merge the chapters together again. I always have a working draft that is a complete document for reference.
eyebee14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #62
ave
practical experience, FTW

ave is a shiny, shiny jewelave is a shiny, shiny jewel
I have multiple files of about 2000 words each, which is about as much as I can handle at a time without completely losing my mind. Once I finish each, it feels like I have achieved something- which does wonders for motivation.

I'll number each file, so I'll start with steal_car_01. Every time I rework the file I increment that number, so I could eventually end up with steal_car_20. And all the older files are dropped in an "Old" folder
This makes it easy if I ever want to reference an older version, or reuse something I cut out.

This is also great if I want to juggle scenes. Something I've been doing often of late.

I use Libre Office, and if I ever need larger sections, I just create a master document, select all the files and I have a complete document in a few clicks. Works for me.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #63
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
I prefer to put all my chapters in one single file, if that's what you mean.

I find it's a pain in the rear end to have to look through another file chapter just to look up a character's name or last name you've forgotten. All I have to do is go up a little bit, or do a search of the name, if I forgot the last name, for example, and it's right there.
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #64
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana has a golden reputationMyrealana has a golden reputationMyrealana has a golden reputationMyrealana has a golden reputationMyrealana has a golden reputationMyrealana has a golden reputation
I have one rough draft file. Then I do re-writes a chapter at a time. Each chapter has its own file in Word. As I finish each one, I paste it into my clean manuscript formatted file for printing and editing.

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #65
furiousferret
figuring it all out

furiousferret is on a distinguished road
Each Chapter in its own file, all linked via a Master Document in Word. It just seems easier to work in measurable chunks.
furiousferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #66
benbenberi
practical experience, FTW

benbenberi is a glorious beacon of lightbenbenberi is a glorious beacon of light
A Master Document in Word? You like to live dangerously! (It may have been fixed in recent iterations, but for a very long time the Master Document was a seductive but notoriously buggy and broken feature. Recommended safety measure - keep backups of all the files that are NOT linked. That way if the MD goes kaplooey without warning, you don't lose all your work.)
benbenberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #67
Becky Black
Writing my way off the B Ark

Becky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of light
One file for me. Though if I'm having a quick session on my netbook at lunchtime on the WIP I'll often just open a new file and start typing in that, then copy and paste it into the main file later. Just saves me a precious few minutes getting the current version of the WIP off my backup stick and onto the netbook - assuming that my previous session was on my home machine.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #68
Dodici

Dodici is on a distinguished road
It depends, if the novel is very long I use to create a file for each chapter, even if it's kind of messy when I have to put them all together.
Recently I managed to use a single file with summary of the chapters so I can keep track of the actual lenght of the story, I think it's better for novellas and similar
Dodici is offline   Reply With Quote