Didn't win prize in contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
I just learned that I was not among the winners of the 3-day novel contest I entered last Labor Day weekend. I had felt inordinately proud of what I had written. I really thought I had a chance.

I've been a (successful) freelance writer for 20 years, had two books published, and rejection still doesn't get any easier. Thanks for listening.

F.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. I'm currently going through something similar. I'm super proud of my current MS but I'm just not getting any bites.

Ah well, keep on sending that thing out!

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry. *hug* But good for you for having the courage to enter in the first place. I'm thinking of entering my first contest next month.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Same thing here. I subbed to a novel writing competition in July, and they said the winners would have been told by now. In my experience these competition organisers kind of know what they are looking for. Every one I've entered, has been won by women's fiction, and I just done write that kind of book or tone.

I'm consoling myself with the fact that the exclusivity is at an end, and I can start subbing to agents soon. :)

el el piper

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry. Oh yes, I've been there. I entered a short story contest about 4 years ago and thought I'd come up with something outstanding. They posted a short list of entries every few hours over a weekend of judging and at first I was pretty smug: "Mine was as good as/better than THAT! I'll be seeing mine posted any minute!" I kept checking back at the site with anticipation.....and nada. I was so bitter that I couldn't bring myself to vote for the top 3 entries. It was humbling, and exactly what I needed! I now appreciate learning from other writers' successes. Later I went back to read my story and was embarrassed at how amateur it sounded. I can't believe how much I've learned about writing since that first attempt. I still have a long way to go....
Wishing you the best in being recognized next time!

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, 3-day novel, as in... you wrote it in 3 days? You should definitely be proud of yourself regardless!

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, 3-day novel, as in... you wrote it in 3 days? You should definitely be proud of yourself regardless!

Thanks. I WAS proud of myself. It was one of the most challenging things I've ever done in my life. I still think I did a good job, and may decide to flesh out the novel one day. (I wrote 45,000 words and would aim to beef it up to about 80,000.)

The contest happens every year over Labor Day weekend. If anyone's interested, check it out at www.3daynovel.com/

F.

Status
Not open for further replies.