Blogging about the past

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Hi again!

I've updated my thread recently with a bit about the grounding of paleontology in the 19th century (see my web site link in my sig). :)

And just as another comment on the issue of image use in blogs, it's worth reading Roni Loren's blog about her experience being sued: http://www.roniloren.com/blog/2012/...can-get-sued-for-using-pics-on-your-blog.html

A bunch of you have offered some great options, but it's always important to either post your own images or make sure you have explicit permission to use someone else's. Linking to the original source isn't enough. And don't even get me started on sites like Pinterest and Tumblr...as an English teacher, I think they're a nightmare of copyright infringement.

Thanks, ARoyce. I think that's the story I ended up seeing that made me so paranoid in the first place.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Oh I love the Chevalier de Saint-George! My blog tends more towards 18th century women's history but he's on my list of top 18th century men. :)

I used to blog 18th century, but now I'm stuck on the decades before WWI it seems. Saint-George is just to good to pass up though, so I had to include him.

I haven't been blogging much lately as I stupidly decided to celebrate my blog going past 1.5 million page views (woo!) by (finally!) moving to self hosting. It's been completely AWFUL and my husband has banned me from posting and replying to comments until it's all sorted. I have LOADS to talk about though! :(

I've been thinking about self-hosting too, but this makes me wonder if it's a good idea...

MmeGuillotine

Victorian Prostitute Re-enactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madameguillotine.org.uk
As my name implies, my blog was supposed to be all about the French Revolution, but it's evolved into a big fat historical mess. I like it that way though. I occasionally feature my favourite historical crushes as a break from all the women's history that I tend to write about but my choices tend to be reviled somewhat! :)

Oh no, please don't be put off - I'm sure most people's experiences of moving to self hosting are much better than mine has been! We've had issues with the web space provider and now with Wordpress which is making it take much longer than it ought to have done! I just hope it's all done by Monday as I'm off to Buckingham Palace and the new Pre-Raphaelite exhibition at the Tate then and will want to ramble on about them as soon as I get home! :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
As my name implies, my blog was supposed to be all about the French Revolution, but it's evolved into a big fat historical mess. I like it that way though. I occasionally feature my favourite historical crushes as a break from all the women's history that I tend to write about but my choices tend to be reviled somewhat! :)

Oh no, please don't be put off - I'm sure most people's experiences of moving to self hosting are much better than mine has been! We've had issues with the web space provider and now with Wordpress which is making it take much longer than it ought to have done! I just hope it's all done by Monday as I'm off to Buckingham Palace and the new Pre-Raphaelite exhibition at the Tate then and will want to ramble on about them as soon as I get home! :)

Ooh! Ooh! Pre-Raphaelites??!!! Dammit, I'm on the wrong continent.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Thanks, ARoyce. I think that's the story I ended up seeing that made me so paranoid in the first place.

Now I have to go through my blog and make sure my pics are safe to use. My only problem the people I write about are dead so not sure how I'm supposed to get a pic of them if none are in fair use.

moreferarum

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've just seen this thread.
My blog is a bit of everything, with some history posts thrown in. I mainly focus on classical history/ancient history such as the Egyptians (it's a new blog, I have a lot I want to write!)
I hope you enjoy it! I mainly post when I'm dangerously close to banging my head against the wall due to book troubles.. In fact, I'm just about to update now!

Will definitely be checking loads of these blogs out, I love 18th and 19th century history too and for my degree I have to look at parts of Indian history and culture as well.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
For those of us who are authors seeking representation, I'll have an interview with Writers House agent Alec Shane coming soon - stay tuned! :)

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I've been overwhelmed with various things--work, holidays, being sick--and have been focusing more on writing than reading or blogging. But today, I got some time to write a blog entry I've been meaning to write about (some of) the (vast amount of) art at the Chateau de Versailles:

http://queensransom.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/the-artwork-of-versailles/

I should have looked into the Google Art Project a LONG time ago.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Oh dear, totally forgot about this thread! Oooo, looks like some good posts out there, I'll have to take a look!

A couple of my recent ones:

Christmas postcards of the early 20th C

Tinted civil war portraits

Photographs of people taking photographs

Stereoviews of California

I finally have a break from grad school so time to make many more, and visit lots of yours! :)

*Like*

As you know, I have a passing interest in photography from around the time of the Civil War. Very cool post!

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I have decided to pull myself together and get my writing sorted. I have an idea for a project and I'm doing research for it and I decided I wanted a clean slate so I started a new blog, focused on the era I'm working on:

Exploring The Victorian World

I'm slowly going to transfer the relevant material from my own blog and so far there's not that many posts on there, but today I posted a review of E Phillips Oppenheim's The Lost Ambassador from 1910 and the other day I posted a bunch of pictures from London Transport Museum. I already have a bunch of posts spaced out over the coming months so there will be blogging. :)

Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Flicka, your new blog looks very interesting!

I just did a post yesterday you might be interested in: Views of India in the 19th Century

And angeliz2k, yay, glad you liked it!! I find the civil war photographs super interesting, I'm certainly going to have more in the coming months!

I saw a great exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum: the Civil War and American Art. There were several original prints of Brady's photos of Antietam. What struck me most was how tiny they were--about three by three-and-a-half inches, if that, with white mats. Brady was based here in DC for a while, I believe.

Also, I'm wondering what train station is in the background of your blog. Pure curiosity.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
That's perfect! I wrote a short post with a link to it on my blog. Can't believe they're less than 10 years from the Mutiny!

Yay, I'm glad! They're from a museum on the Flickr Commons, too, so you should be able to use any of them in posts in the future, if relevant. Great how that just linked up!

I saw a great exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum: the Civil War and American Art. There were several original prints of Brady's photos of Antietam. What struck me most was how tiny they were--about three by three-and-a-half inches, if that, with white mats. Brady was based here in DC for a while, I believe.

Also, I'm wondering what train station is in the background of your blog. Pure curiosity.

Wow, sounds like an interesting exhibition! Prints at that time could only be made the same size as the negative, so if you wanted big prints you needed big negatives (which people did do-- there's "mammoth plates" which are over three feet wide, a lot to carry around!). Plus negatives were on glass, so heavy and bulky. I imagine if you're running around battlefields you want the smallest ones you can get!

I'm not 100% sure what train station that is, it's one of the pre-set options from blogspot, hehe. Looks like it could be Grand Central station, maybe?

Oh and today's post is snapshots from 1888-1890, the first years they were possible!

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I just finished a blog post about the interrogation of Count Cagliostro during the trail of the Affair of the Diamond Necklace. I found the transcript in French on Google Books. I've only translated about 1/3 of the interrogation. The book has several other interrogations as well (I already translated Nicole d'Oliva's), most of which I plan to translate at some point.

But for now, I'm a bit spent. Do you know how HARD it is to translate French when you don't actually KNOW French? Do you know how many times I asked myself why I was doing this?

Anyway, here's the link:

queensransom.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/the-interrogation-of-count-cagliostro/