The New Never-Ending PublishAmerica Thread (NEPAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Long live MacAllister and the other AW mods!!:partyguy:

Just to be clear; I was being sincere. I re-read my post, and given my history I didn't want anyone to think I was being less than grateful for my chance to lurk among these boards. I think the mods here do a great job, and for the most part we are a happy, healthy community.

Afinerosesheis

The One and Only Romantiac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The mods have treated me fair through good postings and bad. I have not been banned for asking legitimate questions, haven't been banned at all. For my big mouth that's pretty good. =)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had the Stern Finger of Authority shaken at me a few times. I know. Me. Sweet, loveable BenPanced.

What's that horrible wretching sound?

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju

hmcalendin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mcalendin.com
P.A. is so desperate not to give in my request to terminate my contract and I think unsettled by the amount of authors requesting the same that they are now resorting to calling us liars..........me included today in an email from P.A. support. WOW...how childish is that?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Applekey is my good friend: Chris Turkel. Many of you knew him as Zizban, Abemorgantis, CrashCourse, Lord Chess, zizbanreturns, edgyllama, etc, etc, etc. His file of sock puppets continues to grow and, along with this one, he's not welcome here. And he knows why.

looks like *someone* has issues...

:D

seriously, get a hobby. Like clipping your toenails or something more productive...

:D

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Heather, can you post that e-mail?

Perhaps I should provide copies of the letter I received from PA recently to anyone interested; not to mention my most recent royalty check and statement just to prove that I am telling the truth. Or maybe I should just post them online for anyone to view.

hmcalendin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mcalendin.com
I am in negotiations with another publisher and rather than just provide the information I asked for to terminate my contract, this is what followed............

PublishAmerica Author Support wrote:
> Ms. McAlendin:
>
> We called your bluff, with the expected result: there is no such other legitimate publisher.
> By the time you find one, please have them contact us the way it's done in our industry, and we'll wholeheartedly cooperate in getting the rights transferred.
> Until then, your book will remain under contract.
>
> Thank you,
> PublishAmerica Support
> [email protected]
>

Dear Support:

I hate to contradict what you assume to be true without research. I do indeed have a new publisher. Why you would care to assume I would share that with Publish America is astounding to me. After the little you do for your authors.

I gave my reasons for wanting my rights and contract terminated and have been told by your own company that it will cost $300 to do so. As in my email to Darcy, my lawyer has asked for an accounting of what encompasses that "damage payment" in detail before any monies will be forwarded.

I have also requested in writing that once my contract has been terminated that Publish America will cancel my ISBN and inform online sellers that my book is no longer for sale; as is your responsibility.

After such shoddy treatment and condescending remarks your dare to wonder why in recent history you have many authors asking for their contracts to be terminated? Your forget that for every positive remark about P.A. there are at least double that in negative remarks that are growing daily.

Will you also share with your authors as to why, as of July P.A. is no longer listed with the BBB?

If it was your attempt to try and intimidate me you have failed.

Please forward the documentation I requested as well as any documentation in order to terminate my contract.

It is becoming increasingly clear that P.A. knows very little about what they call "industry standards."

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Heather McAlendin

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Please note that when they say "the way it's done in our industry" they don't mean the publishing industry... ;)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Wouldn't surprise me if they demanded the new publisher also pay a fee to them in addition to the damage fee they want from you.

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score
I just got an Email from PA. Well I guess all of their hapy authors did. It was about an auction to advertise your book in the back of the better selling books. 10,000 so they say.
I answered with the offer of 1.00 symbolic dollar. Do you think I'll win?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
One good thing about PA

If nothing else, PA provides a template of what NOT to do and how NOT to treat authors if one aspires to become a publisher.

--Overprice. Check. Don't do that.
--Don't edit. Check. Edit.
--Pressure authors to buy books. Check. Don't do that.
--Deceive about marketing efforts. Check. Be up front about what you can and cannot do.
--Insult the authors. Check. Don't do that. Be respectful (else why the bleep publish their books?!)
--And so on.

--Ken

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Pardon me while I search for my jaw. It dropped to the floor and rolled away.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
What nonsense this all is. Rather than just terminate they want to get into a school yard fight.

If you do indeed have legal counsel, I would advise allowing them to respond to all future correspondence from PA. Keep above all of this nonsense and let the professionals trained to deal with scumbag companies like PA do their job.:)

I just got an Email from PA. Well I guess all of their hapy authors did. It was about an auction to advertise your book in the back of the better selling books. 10,000 so they say.

What?

:roll::ROFL::roll:

This auction makes PA, IMO, the Super Vanity Press of all time.

Seriously, I have no sympathy for any PA author who falls for this crap.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I answered with the offer of 1.00 symbolic dollar. Do you think I'll win?

Gosh, do you think they read some of my suggestions? ;)

Of course, there is one or more caveats they might not have taken into consideration. There could be fees involved for resetting the pages with whatever company is printing those books. Also, if the ads don't get into 10,000 books, won't the winning author be entitled to a refund?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.