Logic Problem with EMP, Tranq Dart & Vigilantes

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trapped in logic problem, and after spending a month trying to wrangle my way out of it, I think need some help.

And sometimes, just writing it out helps.

It's my opening chapter. Rest of the book is fine - written, working great. Done. Just the damn opening is giving me trouble, again.

So I've got a young vigilante, Kay, as the main character. Here's the basic outline of the problem for this modern day Psych Thriller:

Bad guy, Derek, wants to capture Kay. He knows she has superior tech, but he doesn't know what it is. We do -- it's a quantum computer that can read bio-metrics (people) and electronics within 300 feet, in the form of a wearable crystal necklace. He just knows the four vigilante sisters are damned hard to sneak up on.

So he set a trap. Lured her to Al Fashir, Sudan, where this chapter opens. The only reason it opens in Al Fashir in particular is because I needed a setting where Derek could set off an EMP in a populated area, but not so populated as the United States (the majority of the novel takes place all over Europe). The EMP knocks out Kay's crystal, and he shots her with a tranq dart at the same time, neatly capturing an otherwise very elusive vigilante teenager.

Here's where I start to have problems.

What brought her to Al Fashir? What was the trap? So far, I've been going with human trafficking, since it ties in nicely with the whole "girl in captivity" theme that's the rest of the novel. I have this neat little storyline about a young woman back in New York, who asked the vigilantes for help rescuing her younger sister, Natari, back in Sudan. Natari disappeared from her village, caught in the same human trafficking network that the vigilantes had previously busted in New York City (all of which is lightly implied, not stated in the first chapter).

So the Al Fashir scene I keep trying to write has Natari in a courtyard with Kay's target, Riyad, the leader of the human trafficking ring. Riyad's meeting a guest/buyer, and Natari's in the courtyard to serve drinks and essentially serve as an unwilling example of the goods.

Here's where I've been smacking my head against the desk all week.

In order for Kay to get darted, she can't be watching this scene from a hiding spot. She needs to be visible. So there goes the "behind a fountain/tree in the courtyard" plan right? This puts Kay on a roof. But if she's trying not to be seen by the guys in the courtyard, how's she going to be seen and be close enough to be darted by Derek or his men? Keep in mind, she can "see" them sneak up on her through the crystal, so they've got to be out in the open too. She needs to be surprised, so to speak.

I can't figure out where to put her, and since the scene is her POV (first person, too), it matters.

I thought, okay, why hide? Walk right into that courtyard. Pretend to be a buyer (yes, she's a girl, and white, and young, but she could pull it off). Whenever I start doing that, though, the scene derails into this very strong implication that Riyad is the one darting her and capturing her. I don't want to give this false impression that the novel is about human trafficking. Ironically, while the captivity plot is THE main plot, it's a thriller with deadly viruses and terrorists and some very determined sisters out to find their missing twin.

The scene that keeps trying to write itself is coming out like the below example, where there's this damn strong implication that Kay's standing there with Natari, not lurking on rooftop or behind a tree somewhere.

-----

I look at the girl, but she stares only at the sand. If she saw my eyes, she'd know I was here to steal her back from the well-dressed Sudanese men surrounding us [her]. Or perhaps she'd just see another girl--another victim.

I'm no victim.

“This one's fresh from the village,” says Raoul Riyad, the man I followed from New York City. He pulls the girl forward by her slender wrist, then shoves her to her knees on the hot sand of the courtyard. “She’s called White Orchid, for her purity.”

I narrow my eyes, but stay silent.

Her name is Natari, and her sister sent me to bring her home.

Riyad runs the back of his hand down Natari’s cheek, then turns his attention to the small crowd of international buyers, and to me.

-----

Despite that scene's strong desire to keep going, it just doesn't end well. If she's standing there WITH the girl and gets darted, the implication that the slave traders did it is too strong. And Riyad isn't going to let this tempting 17 year old morsel go without at least trying to capture her himself, even if she's there representing another buyer.

I was planning on this scene introducing Kay, showing a "moment in the life of a vigilante", right up to her getting darted. Then I was going to flip over to the sisters in New York City for a minute, then back to Al Fashir in Derek's POV, as he comes to pick up his prize from the hot sand. (No need to start a discussion on POV switching -- all due consideration has gone into novel format and style).

And I keep tearing it apart in my head, because the little movie scenes I see just aren't working. If she's hiding, she can't get darted.

If it's nighttime, she doesn't need to hide, but can Derek's men really shoot a tranq dart that accurately at night? Are there lights in this courtyard? Am I scene shifting to somewhere else entirely?

I tried doing this in a bazaar. In a bookstore. In a warehouse with a dogfight going on. And I keep getting stuck on the "visible enough to get darted, but not so visible as to interfere with Riyad" problem.

All I really need is Kay in Al Fashir, doing something vigilante-like. And I only need her in Al Fashir because the ripples of an EMP in the United States are more than I can address in the novel -- but the ripples of setting off an EMP in Al Fashir play nicely into later motivation for MI6 to get involved with one of the other sisters and their search for the organization that did this.

And, of course, because all that is already written, and it works really well. I'm not adverse to tearing it all apart to match a good opening chapter, mind you. It's just that the scene and the people in the opening chapter don't end up mattering to the rest of the plot (except in little ripples, where her sisters end up freeing Natari, for example). But it doesn't matter to Kay, and she's the story.

Last draft, I just skipped the whole capture scene, and started with her in captivity, where the plot begins. But damned if beta feedback isn't pretty resounding that I started too late, vs too early. But somehow, it still feels a little pointless to do a whole capture scene with these slave traders and the girl, when I know none of them matter to what happens to Kay.

Which is probably why I'm having trouble with the damn scene.

Talk me off the ledge, please. Help me tear the scene apart, or start somewhere else, or send me off to Iceland instead, or send her after a bioweapon instead... My head's trapped in circles, and needs a good Thawack. :)

Thawacking appreciated, and preemptively thanked!

~ Anna

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Granted I don't know the rest of the scene, so what I'm about to suggest may be moot. I think having a courtyard-slave-auction opener makes for a good opening, and based on what you've provided here I'm interested in how it turns out. I don't think it's a problem to have Kay walk right into the courtyard, and in fact puts on display just how daring/reckless she is (if that's part of her character).

However, I think there's a plot-hole problem in your proposal. Derek triggers an EMP to knock out Kay's necklace so she can't detect him sneaking up on her, and at the same time shoots her with the tranquilizer. If he's already in range to hit her with the tranq he doesn't need the EMP. Perhaps Derek and his men surround the courtyard (maintaining a wide distance), set off the EMP and then storm the courtyard? And for Derek tranq-sniping Kay: if she's mixed in with a group of men, and Derek is shooting from 300ft, I can't imagine he's going to make the shot.

As far as Riyad's reaction to Kay's tranq-ing I can see three logical reactions:
1) Riyad (and the buyers) think they are under attack, panic, and scatter.
2) Derek's men are ready to grab Kay as soon as she's hit, so before Riyad can react and think of kidnapping her Derek's men are already there. Riyad is trying to understand why one of his buyers just dropped for no apparent reason.
3) Riyad is a "smart" slave trader, and recognizes the risks of taking someone with connections and of value to a rich client. Thus, he doesn't touch Kay for fear of angering unknown rich client.
4) Riyad does try to take Kay, but Derek-and-friends fight (or intimidate) Riyad into surrender.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Could the 'slave traders' actually be Derek's confederates? The thing with Natari is a trap to bring Kay somewhere she can be captured, right? So it doesn't have to be a real slave auction, just a staged scene. Riyad could still be an actual slave trader if that's needed in the plot elsewhere, but he could be paid off to create the trap. That would resolve the "why doesn't he take her for himself?" issue.

Also, if the scene is staged, someone close to her could trigger the EMP and leave her able to be shot by Derek--then he isn't trying to do both at once.

One way of getting her close up on the scene would be to have her bring or hire a male confederate to pose as a potential buyer, and she as his slave.

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any reason Derek couldn't have hired, bribed or otherwise pressured Riyad into tranqing the MC for him?

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I like Marlys's solution. And Hoplite's. She could get tranked at night, no problem, if they have night vision goggles, if the guns have that kind of range (not my area of expertise). But then she couldn't see the girl's eyes that she wants to rescue, and for some reason my mind wants to think of a slave auction during the day. But if the night thing works for you, I suppose there could be lights on the rescuee.

I don't see why Kay can't be lurking. Could the building block her crystal's signal, and she gets surprised and taken down by a perimeter guard?

Sorry, nothing more is coming to me. Maybe you can build on one of these ideas.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I always get a little iffy about tranquilizing a human. Did you ever watch it being done on the animal shows? It's always an iffy thing. You need to know how much your target weighs so you have the right amount of tranquilizer in the dart/needle. I also have a problem with a dart gun being accurate at 100 yards.

But like Hoplite said, the opening scene is great. I love it.

Do you have to have the EMP for something later? Or could you use something like a Faraday Cage? Maybe her sleeping room is wired up as a Faraday Cage, and she doesn't realize it. That way you're not messing with nuclear weapons which would make a HUGE mess world-wide, and I'm not even talking about radiation. Seriously. Think about the logistics of boosting a nuclear warhead high enough to be effective in an EMP scenario. Alarms would be going off all over the world, especially when the missile/rocket launch or target is the Sudan. You have an airborne nuke blast in that part of the country, and there are going to be WAY more problems than whether her crystal necklace works.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I always get a little iffy about tranquilizing a human. Did you ever watch it being done on the animal shows? It's always an iffy thing. You need to know how much your target weighs so you have the right amount of tranquilizer in the dart/needle. I also have a problem with a dart gun being accurate at 100 yards.

But like Hoplite said, the opening scene is great. I love it.

Do you have to have the EMP for something later? Or could you use something like a Faraday Cage? Maybe her sleeping room is wired up as a Faraday Cage, and she doesn't realize it. That way you're not messing with nuclear weapons which would make a HUGE mess world-wide, and I'm not even talking about radiation. Seriously. Think about the logistics of boosting a nuclear warhead high enough to be effective in an EMP scenario. Alarms would be going off all over the world, especially when the missile/rocket launch or target is the Sudan. You have an airborne nuke blast in that part of the country, and there are going to be WAY more problems than whether her crystal necklace works.

The are drugs that tranq humans much better than the ones used on animals.

I'm assuming this novel is set a bit in the future because of the EMP. Right now, an EMP generator large enough to knock anything out at even fifty feet is so big you'd need a pickup to haul it around.

Being able to generate an EMP large enough to knock out anything at even a hundred yards, let alone one so big you have to go to another country to use it, would make that person the number one target of every international law enforcement agency in the world. Such a weapon would be as dangerous financially as an atomic bomb is destructively.

If it's at all portable, such an EMP generator is a long way off, so this alone makes me think the novel is set a bit in the future, which means I'd buy a one hundred yard shot with a tranq dart.

But I love the scene, and the premise.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I read all that and it just sounds like you're trying too hard to do too much.

I think what you need is an epiphany and I cannot give that to you. Start at the beginning and ask yourself questions, why is X necessary? Is there something else that might fit better? If you think about it a lot, the answer will probably come to you while you're in the shower, or out for a walk. That's how it usually works for me.

Remember, don't get stuck in a rut. Everything can be changed, even if it means some downstream editing of your novel, these sorts of changes usually make the whole thing better.

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually... I think I got it. You guys have been great -- the whole thread has been great.

I'm just wrangling the last few sentences of the chapter into shape, then I was going to ask for some feedback. It's the first chapter, and it matters all the more for it, you know?

But it's going well. Really well.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Allow me to toss a monkey wrench. Why have it be human anything that gets her there? She's using this spiffy, whifty, a-la-kazaam piece of tech. Her and four (three?) others. Wouldn't your bad guy notice four vigilantes wearing something similar? He doesn't have to know it's the key tech, but maybe it looks valuable. So he starts a rumor that there's a cache of those crystals in the Sudan.

Now the MC has to figure out how a bunch of quantum computers got to Africa. She can't resist.

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy writing tunnel vision has ended. Thank you guys -- your collective awesome suggestions helped shake me out of that weird block. And that section that wanted to be written went on to be written, and hopefully be written well.

Kay was just begging to walk right into the auction. And so she did.

And Derek darted her anyway.

I popped the chapter up on Share Your Work, both to say thanks for helping me get it there, and for feedback. It's the first chapter, and though the novel is written, I'm tearing apart the first third to make it stronger over the next two weeks, and it all spirals from the first chapter. The characters, the writing style. If there's a style or a plot point I need to change, there's no better time.

Thank you, and I truly appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback and ideas.

~ Anna, no longer trapped by logic problems.

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Bit late here, but...

From your lead-in, I can't see why the bad guy wants to capture the MC? If he doesn't know what the tech is or how it works, then how does he know an EMP is the tool for the job?

Kinda like saying... "well, I know this dude needs killing, but I know they're a bit tricky to get, so I'd better use a nuke to be sure".

You've engineered the scene around the twin concepts that (1) he must kidnap her and (2) he needs to use a (big) EMP to do that; but it's not at all clear to me why either of those things are the way they are. That strikes me as the source of your problem!

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bit late here, but...

From your lead-in, I can't see why the bad guy wants to capture the MC? If he doesn't know what the tech is or how it works, then how does he know an EMP is the tool for the job?

Kinda like saying... "well, I know this dude needs killing, but I know they're a bit tricky to get, so I'd better use a nuke to be sure".

You've engineered the scene around the twin concepts that (1) he must kidnap her and (2) he needs to use a (big) EMP to do that; but it's not at all clear to me why either of those things are the way they are. That strikes me as the source of your problem!

That's a good point! I know the answer in my head, of course, but it doesn't come up in the first chapter. I'm shooting for it being one of those unanswered, but okay questions until the end of the second chapter, where it gets cleared up.

Said clearing, by the way, is that while Derek doesn't know what the tech is, he knows they've got something electronic. Something powerful, something he wants.

And something he figured he'd better knock out of play if he wanted to capture one of the girls and find out.

I love your example -- it made me giggle. Perhaps I've had too much coffee already this morning. :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
One other problem with using an EMP is that if people know this technology is available, this technology becomes largely worthless because everything will be built with protection against an EMP, just as much of our military, and much of the government, does now.