Not open for further replies.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Hi Houndies!

Okay, so this thread is for the discussion of the Horror Hounds Anthology. This is the place for us to decide which way we want to go and how we want to proceed.

I have gotten the go-ahead from MacAllister and we are now cleared by an Official AW Mod to move forward with this project.

So, we have a whole list of decisions to make. Publishing, schedules, who will edit, who will be on the committee to decide what gets in, how big it will be, etc.

There is no shortage of options here. This is our project and we can do whatever we want (in a relative sort of way.)

In fact, it would very cool if we got a sticky on this. And depending on how popular it becomes, we might need a sub-forum. But we'll open that coffin when we dig it up.

Ted

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So, here's what I would think would be a cool anthology.

First, we should have this released on electronic media. Kindle, etc. Getting it published in print is pricey and electronic media is growing rapidly. I'm firmly convinced that with the right marketing, we can get enough sales for our work to get out there. I see this project as a venue to showcase the talent we have here.

Second, I think we should consider the idea of a themed anthology. Why? Because we all seem to thrive on themes and challenges. Plus, there are some themes we've discussed in our lounge that might work well, like a food theme. Food horror. It's trendy. Right now food-related publications are really growing in popularity and have been for some times. The marketing tie-ins are almost limitless.

Third, we have some amazing artists on AW who do more than write. Showcasing them somehow would be something we could do as well.

Fourth, I think if we set up a deadline for the finished product, we could certainly achieve September 1, 2013. This would be for obvious reasons (ahem, Halloween marketing begins) and it would give us lots of time to make sure the various marketing tie-ins are achieved. Mario Batali must give us a shout-out on The Chew!

That's the 2-cents I have now. More will come to me later and I'd love to hear what everybody else is thinking.

OhTheHorror

jlw
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like fun. I especially like the idea of doing a food themed anthology. Can anyone contribute? :)

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I have just the story. It's already been published, but the zine folded and I never got around to resubbing it. Previously pubbed stories okay?

I'd also be up for helping out in other areas.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am most likely in for a subbing a story. And I'd be happy to help with something else along the way, too, Ted. I can't wait to hear how this progresses!

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
We might want to focus on un-published works, but I'm not sure. We should figure out a voting-thing or something for some of these decisions.

I'm really hoping we can get lots of Hounds subbing to this so we can really have something to show off the talent we have around here.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of paper but only if it makes sense $$ wise (and I have no creds to judge this at all). And only if it can be done well. I think the artwork would translate better in print especially. I love my ebooks and epubs but I still REALLY like paper in my hands. :Shrug:

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Idk - to be honest, I couldn't sell socks to Eskimos. I love my paper books, but I don't know anything about successful marketing and selling of self-pubbed/POD material.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
So, here's what I would think would be a cool anthology.

First, we should have this released on electronic media. Kindle, etc. Getting it published in print is pricey and electronic media is growing rapidly. I'm firmly convinced that with the right marketing, we can get enough sales for our work to get out there. I see this project as a venue to showcase the talent we have here.

First, I think an antho is a great idea.

Do we want to consider subbing it to traditional pub co's or venture out independently?

Second, I think we should consider the idea of a themed anthology. Why? Because we all seem to thrive on themes and challenges. Plus, there are some themes we've discussed in our lounge that might work well, like a food theme. Food horror. It's trendy. Right now food-related publications are really growing in popularity and have been for some times. The marketing tie-ins are almost limitless.

As a reader, I like the flow found in a themed collection - when it's done well. Themed collections I've read that have not been done so well have been borderline redundant in their plots/characters - someting we'll have to find a way to avoid.

Third, we have some amazing artists on AW who do more than write. Showcasing them somehow would be something we could do as well.

Fantastic idea! Sketches between the selections or on the title page of each selection would be neat.

Fourth, I think if we set up a deadline for the finished product, we could certainly achieve September 1, 2013. This would be for obvious reasons (ahem, Halloween marketing begins) and it would give us lots of time to make sure the various marketing tie-ins are achieved. Mario Batali must give us a shout-out on The Chew!

Eight months - do-able. :)

Questions:

1) How involved do we want to be with each other's work - like editing/critting involved?

A) Do we want to form a list of volunteers for writers to submit their stories to for editing?
B) Do we want writers to submit stories to SYW under an antho heading?
C) Do we want writers to independently be responsible for their own editing?

2) Re: avoiding redundency - Pesonally, I'd rather know at the rough draft stage whether or not I've landed on a smilar tract as someone else in the antho but do we really want to look at a slew of roughs? I'd hate to be told/have to tell somebody that all the work they put into making their final copy shine was for naught, that their work and another writer's ring a bell too similar to be in the same compilation.

Or it could be that the anthos I've read with selections similar enough to make me double check the authors/titles were just bad examples - which could be, the ones I'm thinking of were in small presses, since closed.

Food is a pretty broad theme though, so it's probably nothing to really worry about.

;)

3) Story length - flash, short, novella? Any and all of the above?

That's all the cobwebs have caught so far. I'll give it some more thought though.

ASC McLaren

Intended for mature audiences
Registered
Reaction score
I like it! We need a solid theme. Maybe those who want to participate should submit an outline or draft to a SYW thread. I would rather get started sooner.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I know bugger all about sales or marketing or committees or planning or anything, really, but count me in for coming up with a story.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
So who wants to be on the Organizing Committee? It might be best for us to get together in a chat room someplace.

I'd be happy to help out. Facebook has a cool private group setting that works very well.

Dunno about the paper book thing. I can offer time and skills, but I'm not able to afford a financial contribution.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Yeah, likewise.

And Dolores is right - Facebook's closed group is a cool thing - idk if everyone here is on fb though (I can think of two hounds that have said not that long ago that they aren't).

Re: the organizing committe - I'm all for helping out however you need me to but I need to know what's expected before I commit to more than my schedule can tolerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.