Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bragging on old-fashioned ways

In recent nights and mornings, we lost power for long stretches. Our complex runs on electricity, so no lights, no heat, no water, and no cook stove. I hail from rural Montana where power is more occasional luxury than a regular thing, so . . .

We lit four ancient Eagle oil lamps and lounged under a huge, thick, goose-down comforter. Six-gallon jugs from the closet held emergency water for drinking, washing, cooking, and flushing. Firing up the ol’ Coleman camp stove gave hot oatmeal and cowboy coffee from a blue-enamel pot.

Our pioneer aspect was jarred somewhat as we watched battery-powered DVDs on a 9-inch Sony (with this laptop for backup viewing) and when neighbors pounded on our windows wondering how the hell we were lit up and cooking when they were dark, cold, and had to send someone to find grub at a far Denny’s or Jack-in-the-Box.

We offered cups of coffee and the Boy/Girl Scout motto. Score one for old folks.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy:

What's really fun is when the power's out for days and the kids' cell phones finally run out of juice. They don't know what to do with themselves without a cell phone.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's really fun is when the power's out for days and the kids' cell phones finally run out of juice. They don't know what to do with themselves without a cell phone.

So true. I feel pangs with no email, but I can still work on writing and edits with extra laptop batteries I keep charged.

On the other hand, my housemate is a hearie with a burning need to talk to family. What if a daughter needed advice? Or a grandkid wanted pocket money? Or if one great-granddaughter needed to tell on the other one?

Edit: A friend reminded me to remind camp stove and burner users to ventilate. Our stove is on a sturdy table in the front foyer near a window open a bit for fresh air. Hey, I'm a safety guy.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, my housemate is a hearie with a burning need to talk to family. What if a daughter needed advice? Or a grandkid wanted pocket money? Or if one great-granddaughter needed to tell on the other one?
Seems to me that's three perfectly good reasons to keep the phone off the charger. :D

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am here to serve, Chase. :D

Thanks for my new example for the necessary comma of address (almost as good as Let's eat, Grandma versus Let's eat Grandma).

Despite my girlfriend laughing and pointing:e2point:, "I am here to serve Chase" has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for my new example for the necessary comma of address (almost as good as Let's eat, Grandma versus Let's eat Grandma).

Despite my girlfriend laughing and pointing:e2point:, "I am here to serve Chase" has a certain je ne sais quoi.
And it sounds delicious too. :D

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Now that we've survived the end of the world (again) I guess it's too late to buy and send those Christmas cards. I didn't want to waste the money. They wouldn't get there by boxing day anyway with the Cehnehdn postal system.

I'll join Write Minded in getting of an early Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you in between power outages resulting from a foot or so of mostly very wet snow.

Gift exchange with WM was GREAT!

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's disgusting.
I was involved in a disgustion the other day about the Mayan calendar. We disgusted the melodramatic interpretation of the calendar and the disgustion turned to ancient artifacts as they apply to present day situations ... and ... what was I saying? I hate to forget my train of thought - it's discussing!

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I was on a train many years ago and went from Portland Oregon to New York city or somewhere and then to St Cloud, France and could see the eiffel tower out of my kitchen window but we might have gotten off the train or something and then we somehow ended up in frankfort germany where I learned to play in bombed out houses that were full of ghosts and their luggage and stuff that we were not supposed to play in and we came home and were at sea when Christmas happened so we had big party and I won the whistle while eating crackers contest until the guy stuffed more crackers in my mouth and I still carry a package of crackers around hoping Ill see that guy somewhere even though he might be 99 years old now so I can give him a taste of crackers or something even if he has no teeth because

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was on a train many years ago and went from Portland Oregon to New York city or somewhere and then to St Cloud, France and could see the eiffel tower out of my kitchen window but we might have gotten off the train or something and then we somehow ended up in frankfort germany where I learned to play in bombed out houses that were full of ghosts and their luggage and stuff that we were not supposed to play in and we came home and were at sea when Christmas happened so we had big party and I won the whistle while eating crackers contest until the guy stuffed more crackers in my mouth and I still carry a package of crackers around hoping Ill see that guy somewhere even though he might be 99 years old now so I can give him a taste of crackers or something even if he has no teeth because
Porter, you must be psychedelic 'cause you knew what I was thinking. I lost my train of thought and you found it. That's strange ... and scary. It's also discussing!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This just in ...

I just finished making a coupla Rum Cakes for Christmas.

I hid one in the Infirmary - If you find it, it's yours. ;)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still carry a package of crackers around hoping Ill see that guy somewhere even though he might be 99 years old now so I can give him a taste of crackers or something even if he has no teeth because

Tiz the season.

This just in ...

I just finished making a coupla Rum Cakes for Christmas.

I hid one in the Infirmary - If you find it, it's yours. ;)

Hey! What's this gooey stuff on the seat of my pants?

Ugh.

:(

Well, I thought it was a cushion.

Has anyone seen my glasses?

:D

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tiz the season.

Hey! What's this gooey stuff on the seat of my pants?

Ugh.

:(

Well, I thought it was a cushion.

Has anyone seen my glasses?

:D
I think your glasses are stuck to the seat of your pants, Darlin'. Your hindsight should be 20-20 now.
icon10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.