Exclusive Problem

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
An agent requested an exclusive, but I have one full out already. How do I respond to this?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An agent requested an exclusive, but I have one full out already. How do I respond to this?

First, do you want to grant the exclusive? This one agent is worth it for you?

Second, if yes, is the proposed time frame acceptable? If yes, or if you plan to set the time frame, set it to something reasonable - a few weeks, etc.

Third, if you want to give the exclusive, you simply respond that you already have a full out with an agent, but you won't send it to any other agents while the exclusive is in effect.

The agent can then choose whether to read on those terms.

If you don't want to grant an exclusive, you can respond that you can't grant one because it's out with other agents but you are sending it along anyway.

~suki

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
As always, be honest. If you like the agent enough to grant an exclusive, and you should, or why submit to her, then tell the agent who wants the exclusive that you already have a full out, but that you won't submit to a new agent until after she says yes or no.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Oh, this is a fun one, because you get to brag a bit to an interested agent.

"I'd love to offer you an exclusive, but I currently have a full out with another agent. I've attached the manuscript if you're still interested, and I hope you are!"

Or something to that effect. Nice and easy. I've not yet had an agent say "No thanks, weirdo."

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
She wants a 6 to 8 week exclusive, which I think is too long in my opinion.

I would like to send it to her but don't like that long time frame.

When I tell her about the other agent, can I ask her if she still wants it and ask if I could shorten the time? Or is that too much? I would add that I wouldn't send it to any others than too.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this is a fun one, because you get to brag a bit to an interested agent.

"I'd love to offer you an exclusive, but I currently have a full out with another agent. I've attached the manuscript if you're still interested, and I hope you are!"

Or something to that effect. Nice and easy. I've not yet had an agent say "No thanks, weirdo."

Haha...thanks. I actually like that response. Should I add that I won't keep sending it out though?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

When I tell her about the other agent, can I ask her if she still wants it and ask if I could shorten the time? Or is that too much? I would add that I wouldn't send it to any others than too.

Well...I wouldn't ask if she still wants it. I would send it with the explanation (it's harder to say no if it's right there to read).

As for the time...well, you can state you can't grant 6-8 weeks - but if you are willing to grant her the exclusive, I'm not sure you gain much about quibbling about time. I'd say go for 6 weeks - but don't ask, just state that you can't grant the exclusive since it's already out with another agent, but you're willing to not send it to anyone else for 6 weeks, if that is acceptable. (Assuming you are willing to do that). Then, even if the exclusive period expires without action, it's only July and you could conceivably query some more before the August dead zone. Or, go for the whol 8 weeks if you really are serious about this agent. It's the summer, anyway.

Haha...thanks. I actually like that response. Should I add that I won't keep sending it out though?

Only if you are willing to compromise and sort of grant an exclusive as to all other agents. I mean, if you don't say that, it's not an exclusicve at all. But if you agree to that term, it's a compromise that shows the agent you are serious, and meeting her halfway. Assuming that is what you want to do, and if it is an agent you are serious about, then why not? besides, it's summer.

~suki

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
The only other thing that's bothering me about this is that (in the bewares) writers complain they are non-responders to queries. But aren't a lot of agencies like that?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Suki, you bring up a good point. Summer is coming up, so I expect a slow response with other agents. Six weeks isn't too terribly long either.

I will state that and not ask, I think that's the better way to go. Something like:

"Thank you for taking an interest in my work. Right now it's out with one other agent, but I am willing to grant you a 6 week exclusive and not send to any other agents from this point on. And I will notify you if I receive an offer from the other agent asap." Or something like that???

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

What do you have planned for the next eight weeks that's better than having a quality agent read your full manuscript?

It takes as long as it takes, and the the surest way to lose time is to apply pressure. Do you want a six to eight week yes, or a four week no?

New writers always seem to worry about something taking too long, rather than understanding that trying to speed things up is why it can take years to get anything done.

Six to eight weeks form now you can get an answer from a quality agent, or six to eight weeks from now you can still be trying to decide who to query next, and wondering why in blazes no one is taking you on as a client.

Eight weeks is more than reasonable. Having a quality agent request a full is a big deal. Many writers go years without having this happen. Don't blow it by trying to ruish her, whether it's summer or winter.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well I did what you guys told me to do and told her of the other agent, mentioning I would tell her immediately if I get an offer and luckily, she is going to waive the exclusive terms.

I pretty much used your suggestion Honeybadger and stated it like Suki mentioned and it worked out (for now.)

Thank you for helping me everyone, I greatly appreciate!