Pen name or Real name?

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Last night while trying to sleep, I came up with a question that's been bugging me all day.

When the time to query comes, should I sign with my pen name or real name?

Will I have to tell the agent about my real name during the query or WHILE being rep?

Thanks.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Agent has to know who they're doing business with.

Use your real name in correspondence with the Agent - the pen name is only on the book.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You want your cheques paid to your real name?

Seriously you do everything under your real name and discuss the matter of a pen name with the agent once they've got you a deal.

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, thank you guys. It perhaps was a dumb question after all.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Wait until after you sign with them. It's really not important at all before that.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
When the time to query comes, should I sign with my pen name or real name?

Query with your real name.

Also, you need to sign anything with your legal name.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
I'm going to counter all the other advice...

In this day and age, a lot of folks have already gotten out there on the web with their penname. You may have a blog, a twitter, be participating in contests...and of course, you want to start building your base as your penname.

There is more than one writer (myself included) on AW who query using an e-mail address associated with a penname rather than our real name...all you do is sign the email:

Firstname Lastname
(writing as Pen name)

The cover page of my manuscript has my full contact info in the upper left, and looks like this:

Firstname Lastname
(Pen name)
Address
Address
Phone
Email

and the title, halfway down the page says:

BOOK TITLE

by

Pen Name

Yes, the agent has to know who you are. But at the same time, if you've been tweeting at her and making smart blog comments as your pen name, you also want her to know who you are, know what I mean?

ETA: Also, technically, if you REALLY need to keep your writing persona and real persona separate, you could always file for a "Doing Business As" status, which does allow you to sign contracts and open bank accounts under your alias. However, for most of us, our agents will know our real names, and something like the above suffices. In my instance, I use a pen because at the same time I'm querying my debut, I'm also making my first strides in the land of academic journal articles, and I don't want people to google name A and find writing type B.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just use your real name for all correspondence. Everything else is a complete waste of time and energy.