Really excited about an offer, but...

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
I had my very first offer of representation yesterday and a lot of things about the conversation were great--she loved the manuscript she read, she was incredibly nice, it sounds like she and I have similar ideas about how often agent and author should be in touch, and I know she has a solid sales history and extensive client list and works with a great agency. It was almost perfect, BUT...

I kept waiting for her to ask what else I was working on, which I know is supposed to be one of the major agent questions when offering representation, and it never came. Finally, I asked her if she wanted to talk about other manuscripts of mine, or see anything else, and she didn't. It's great that she's so enamored with the manuscript she's seen and wants to represent it, but is this something I should be taking as a major red flag? I know she's repped (and sold) multiple books for some of her authors, even in different genres, so I can't really figure out what's going on here. Would appreciate some insight!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I don't know that I'd see it as a red flag. Some agents just work on a book-by-book basis. If the track-record and enthusiasm is there, there's probably no problem.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. I wouldn't shy away from asking about how she views the relationship, and if you write across genres that is definitely something to discuss - ie, I am interested in writing/have written X also, would that be an area you are comfortable representing?

But I wouldn't say it is a major red flag or anything if she is enthused about this project and doesn't feel the need to read anything else right now.

ETA: BUT, if this is bothering you, discuss it with her. Explain that you want to make sure you are both on the same page with regard to the relationship, etc. But I'm not sure I'd say it is a "red flag" that she doesn't feel the need to read anything else right now. If you are concerned about her long term staying power, do more research into her clients - how long she has represented them. She should be willing to give you their contact info and be comfortable with you talking to her clients. Ask them about how the agent and the client decided on what to work on/sub next after the initial book sold. If she has had a good number of clients for whom she has sold multiple books, and the clients you talk to have good things to say about her receptiveness and interest in later projects, then that may help ease your concerns. It's great to go into this decision being analytical - but I don't think that it is necessarily a red flag if an agent is enthusiastic about the pitched book, and offers without reading any other of your books.

~suki

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
My agent didn't ask either. When I asked him, he said he wants to concentrate on one book at a time. Worked for me.

I wouldn't worry, but do talk to her about it if it's bugging you.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
Yes, as the others mentioned, this isn't necessarily a red flag. Many reputable agents work on a project-to-project basis. If you've researched her and know she's in good standing, with a reputable agency, and has been known to make sales, then this is probably just her style.

If you can, see if you can find someone she FORMALLY represented and ask them how the relationship was and how it ended (if they're comfortable talking about it - don't badger them, obviously). And as suki mentioned, it's never a bad idea to send an email with follow-up questions. This is a decision about your career, and agents understand that you want to make the right choice and are usually accommodating with questions. I'd also ask about her submission style, how long she plans to pitch the book, and what will happen in the event of a non-sale. I know it can feel pessimistic to ask those questions, but they're important.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Is your other work in genres she represents and has strong industry connections in? If so, you should be fine.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Based on the info you've provided, I also don't think this is a major red flag. If it were me and I were concerned, I might ask what she typically does when a specific project for a client doesn't sell. In my situation, my agent specifically said she represents the client not just the project - so I knew that if the project she signed me for didn't sell, we would keep trying - but not every agent works that way. Bottom line for me, though, if I felt this agent was a good fit and wasn't willing to commit to future projects, I would still feel good about signing with him or her as long as everything else felt solid.

Congrats and good luck, whatever you decide!

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
OK phew! I think she's great and would love to work with her, but it's my first offer from an agent and it seemed like such an industry standard for other projects to be a part of the conversation that I just wasn't sure.

As for other genres, I did ask if she'd be OK repping a project in a specific other genre and she said definitely. Nearly all of my mss are the same as the one she called about--contemporary YA--so this isn't that much of a concern for me, but it was good to know.

Thanks so much for the responses! We did discuss a number of the things you guys mentioned but it's always worth keeping the lines of communication open, I suppose!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I have the same agent as Jude, but he didn't ask me either. I brought it up, and he actually said he focused on one at a time so not to worry about it.

Congrats on the offer, btw! Very exciting. :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the offer. :) I don't think it's necessarily a red flag and like others have said, if it truly concerns you, speak about with her. Good luck on the decision.