The Comedy Cabaret holiday workshop in which cray becomes a raving lunatic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft.

I only like movies with gladiators in.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Now I feel bad. I erased my song links before Muppet got to them. But he can always listen to my poems. Or just come out for karaoke.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like flipping the crown to someone else works here.

Queen Cass will take care of everything now.

Hope they burn down the old cabaret soon.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I get busy and have a life and we get re-homed and no one leaves a link to the new place.

-sniff-

I was all scared and alone back there. :(

But I found my way. I followed a Haggises here
:D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I think we lost Huggis that way a couple of cabarets or so ago

Huggis was cute, so was the weasel nekked rat, and CraypeSuzette.

I'm sure we'll see them again (somewhere they're singing "happy trails to you"...)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Really? Is this what you people get up to when I'm not here? That's just sad.

Anyway. Let's talk about me.

My friend rented a private room for karaoke last night. That's means you don't have to hand off the mike to strangers, but IMO, the random stranger element is part of the fun, plus it gives you a break from your friends dragging you up for every song. I particularly missed hearing random Korean people singing random Korean songs.

As it happens, I did get plenty of breaks from singing because my friend with the birthday invited a coworker who once was a contestant on American Idol. And yes, she sang quite well. (Interestingly, she had a somewhat annoying speaking voice. How does that happen?)

Unfortunately, like many people who sing well,

(1) she wanted the microphone to herself, which meant that much of the evening was spent politely listening and applauding instead of being silly and laughing at each other, which is pretty much the point of karaoke, in my opinion.

(2) she chose songs that would enable her to get in all those American Idol vocal gymnastics, which mostly meant they were songs that irritate the fuck out of me. I appreciate a voice with lots of range, but IMO that vocal loop-de-loop where every damn syllable is blared out and dragged up and down the scale until you can't understand what the hell is being sung is way overdone and has to go. Seriously. Next to autotuning, it's the other thing that is ruining music these days, IMO. Done selectively in the right places with the right songs, it can add emotion, but done the way your average American Idol contestant does it, I think it has the reverse effect. It shows off the fancy voice at the expense of meaning, and ruins the song, if there's any song to be ruined. Luckily, in this case it was a lot of crap from Les Miserables. I'd actually rather hear a silly off-key rendition of "I will survive."

(3) of course she had to do all of the "I'm on a worldwide stage" face and body contorting to go with the vocal gymnastics. And if you're not doing that ironically, it looks damn silly when you're doing karaoke.

That said, for a change, I emerged from the evening without being hoarse, since a fair portion of it was spent politely listening to her rather than being dragged up for every song to disguise some more off-key folks. (I sing just well enough for that purpose, but not well enough that I'm wanting to show off and do solos.)

Ditto, I emerged sober, because generally alcohol is what gets one through that sort of thing. Which means I'm not hung over.

And I made a new friend who likes jazz and is interested in seeing The Bad Plus with me at the end of this month. Also, he engaged in some quiet snark while the vocal pyrotechnics were going on, which endeared him to me.

Last edited:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, I was hoping to hear that you had a night like this..

Hugs of understanding :Hug2:

*cops feel*

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Does he read books?

Given the noise level in the room, conversation was pretty much limited to ascertaining that neither of us was familiar with at least two-thirds of the songs in the karaoke book, that our own music collections were very ill-represented in the book, and that we both enjoy jazz and dislike American Idol.

Rest assured I shall ascertain his views on fiction and report back.

BTW, it's been a while since I've done karaoke, and since that time, they seem to have removed a lot of oldies and replaced them with Lady Gaga, Adele, and a bunch of groups I don't know at all and likely don't care to know. Sad.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
And I made a new friend who likes jazz and is interested in seeing The Bad Plus with me at the end of this month. Also, he engaged in some quiet snark while the vocal pyrotechnics were going on, which endeared him to me.

Hey everybody ... in case you didn't read all the self centered drivel ... the new girl is engaged.

Congratulations, New Girl

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Aww, I was hoping to hear that you had a night like this..

Hugs of understanding :Hug2:

*cops feel*

See, I find karaoke singers like that infinitely more fun and endearing than the ones who think they're on American Idol. My birthday friend sings like Cameron Diaz does in that clip, and yet is completely unabashed about getting up and belting out songs. I love that about her. I almost wish I were a worse singer, just so I could be that adorable.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh trust me, all the other things you are worse at make you just as adorable..

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I am adorably atrocious at bowling. I mostly get gutter balls (of the variety that go into the gutter a few inches after they leave my hand), though every once in a while I get a freak strike. There's essentially no middle ground. My scores inevitably hover under 50. Five-year-olds do better.

This is the more remarkable because I'm from Buffalo (everyone bowls in Buffalo). Also, my father was a really terrific bowler. But he and a couple old boyfriends soon gave up on teaching me. I'm hopeless.

ETA:

Porter, I am not engaged. Surely you know that I would never get engaged without ascertaining the man's views on fiction.

But I've got something better than a fiance -- a companion who genuinely wants to see The Bad Plus. I hate going to see music I love with people who aren't enthusiastic about it. Especially in a venue (like this one will be) where one is not supposed to jabber over the music. I would rather go alone than grab a friend who will be indifferent to the music and fidget impatiently through the set.

I made the mistake once of going with a date to see The Bad Plus who Did. Not. Get. It. At. All. Never again. Actually, I could have forgiven his not getting it, but it was hard to forgive his continuing to talk through the music, despite lots of shushings, many of them from me. For god's sake, the set is like an hour and a half long. Can't you shut the fuck up for that long? Especially when it's clear no one else in the room is talking?

Last edited:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm marginally good at everything, which makes me marginally adorable..

Status
Not open for further replies.