Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
We were lucky in Indianapolis. It went south of our area. We had a very mild winter though which means the Midwest may be in for a busy spring storm season. Take care everyone.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Three dead in Ohio, southeast of Cincinnati. Southern Indiana got hit very badly. The storms stayed down around the Ohio River this time. We had very little rain or wind yesterday here in central Ohio. Puma

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're all okay.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad y'all are all doing well. I hate seeing all of the deaths :(

I had a third of an enormous tree that had previously been hit by lightning come down in the bare field beside it because of the winds. Some folks around here got a bunch of firewood :)

But the power displayed is so frightening!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Thank you so much for checking in, folks - I worry pretty hard about our peeps when systems like this happen.

llamafarmer

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
My sympathies and prayers for those in the midst of all this. I have several friends in the midwest who I've not heard from in a few days and I'm getting concerned. Perhaps they've just lost power or their signals are down, I don't know (or they all think I smell or something and they're avoiding me lol; apologies for the flippancy). Well wishes to everyone. Stay safe!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you been affected by the flooding, Federator?

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Glad everyone's ok; I went down to help clean up a small town just 20 miles (as the crow flies) SW of me and it's a mess....

*puts on Emergency Management Hat* Remember to get your emergency kits ready (3 days food/water per person, extra clothes, trash bag, flash light, battery operated radio, batteries, cash etc) and review your emergency plans! Everyone! Now! Go! We'll still be here when you're done.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, JMC! and could I add a roll of duct tape to the usual list? Very useful for so much.

I just got bounced out of bed by a quake. Just a reminder quake--but it reminded me.

JMC2009

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, JMC! and could I add a roll of duct tape to the usual list? Very useful for so much.

e.

Definately! I also have a red flag and a pole that I can use to stick it above any rubble I might happen to become buried under, as well as an old motorcycle helmet. Is that laughter I hear? A mother saved her son in Joplin by putting his bike helmet on him when tossing him in the bath tub. The toilet hit him in the head, but he survived. I'm sure Tornado and earthquake precautions can be very similar, with the notable exception of going to the basement

Rope and tools are also in my safety kit.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not laughing! I am totally in favor of worst-case-scenario emergency kits. I hope everyone has one.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
that small town in kansas--was that harveyville? on ksn the other morning i saw a picture of a cotton sock driven through the steel hood of a vehicle in the aftermath of the harveyville tornado. --s6

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Harveysville was Illinois or Indiana - down near the river. Puma

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking to make sure you guys are hearing from our Midwest USian folk, who've been pounded by storms and tornados the last few days.

Peeps okay out there?

Both my facebook scrabble buddies are deep in Tornado country, but they've also both taken their turns in the game, today, and they're beating the pants off me...so they're both okay.

Marysville, Indiana, just two counties south of us, is no more---a town 1,900 people called home was wiped from the face of the earth. Prayers ongoing for my fellow Hoosiers.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
harveyville was a kansas town that was hit 2-29, in the same outbreak as henryville, illinois. not as much damage in harveyville but not as much town. the news said 40%of the town was destroyed. i saw the sock in the hood of a truck on the kansas news but now i can't find it in the news shots.--s5

JMC2009

Registered
Reaction score
that small town in kansas--was that harveyville? on ksn the other morning i saw a picture of a cotton sock driven through the steel hood of a vehicle in the aftermath of the harveyville tornado. --s6

Yes, that's the one, Six. I was at a farm just outside of town helping sort debris. I'll see if i can find a picture of that sock and message you the link.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hey, jmc. nice to meet you. clean up is what we kansans do--load the teachers and high schoolers up on the school bus and dig in.

i helped my students clean up a couple of farms after the greensburg tornado in 2007. there were grass straws blown through boards and sheets of galvanized metal wound into shelter belts like tin around a spam key. (i mean spam the mystery meat that comes in a can--not the computer stuff) but nothing as weird as the sock through the toyota hood. --s6

this is the article in the topeka paper about jmc's clean up and the sock in the toyota hood. no picture of the sock though.

http://cjonline.com/news/2012-03-01/widow-tornado-moved-house-trapped-husband

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in from tornado alley. Today has been crazy in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Multiple tornados in the area. Spent my day trooping back and forth to the tornado shelter at work, but I'm glad to have power, water and a roof on my house. Many people here aren't so lucky.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I've watched some of the videos, SoccerMom. The power of tornados is sort of incomprehensible. Glad to hear you're all right. Puma

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in, too. Limbs and a few small trees were downed here from the twister that just passed. More damage to the east than we experienced here in town. Still nothing out here like the devastation in and around Dallas and Ft. Worth. We're so glad to hear (so far) there are no injuries or fatalities there.