The Old Farts Bar, Grill and Infirmary

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jobear--have you flown that thing? Never been up in one-- or do you call it on?
Yeah, I'm a pilot - single-engine, land rating. When I worked in the big city years ago, I'd often stop at the local airport after work and take a Cessna 150/152 up to loose the bonds of earth, get away from all the crap for an hour or two, shake out the cerebral cobwebs from the office and relax. Got an ultralight fixed-wing in my garage, but that Mosquito XEL helicopter belongs to a friend.

I suppose, if it had a cabin (which additional empty weight - exceeding 254 pounds - would put it beyond ultralight status and, therefore, legally require an FAA rotary-wing rating on a license) it would be "in". This is like a flying chair (albeit with sophisticated instrumentation) and, I guess, is "on".

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
If God hadda meant men and women to fly he'd have invented airplanes and pilots and stewardesses which he did a long time ago but forgot other things and he'd have made seats that were far enough apart that you could take your shoes off AND put them back on without being double jointed or unusually unusual in structure which he did but he forgot to keep doing it so I dont think men and women are still meant to fly and with just one seat men and women cant fly together if they are thinking mostly about flying in stead of other thinks like reaching the altitude of 5280 feet or so because.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a pilot - single-engine, land rating. When I worked in the big city years ago, I'd often stop at the local airport after work and take a Cessna 150/152 up to loose the bonds of earth, get away from all the crap for an hour or two, shake out the cerebral cobwebs from the office and relax. Got an ultralight fixed-wing in my garage, but that Mosquito XEL helicopter belongs to a friend.

I have a friend (he's in his 60's as well) who was a medic in Nam, chopper pilot, and is now almost to retirement for a life flight company. He built one of the ultralights, but he never flew it. He grew up on a sheep ranch and they had one of those "an ultralight with a cab" things.

He has a Corvalis TTX right now. Nice plane. Very nice. Before that a Cessna 170 I think it was-- four passenger -- single engine.

He rolled the thing once to make it stall and scared the shite outa me.

The thing about cobwebs and stuff sounded just like him. LOL

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is porter a member of the mile high club?
Maybe not the club you're thinking of.

The Corvalis is a very nice - and beautiful - Cessna model. He probably brought the nose up to induce a stall on the wings with enough rudder to enter into a spiral dive. Then nose down, judicious use of opposite rudder, etc., etc. to recover. That was a training excercise once required by FAA to qualify but I don't think it's required any longer. It's still smart to practice the maneuver in case it's ever needed in an emergency situation - keeps the reflexes tuned.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
keeps the reflexes tuned.

Umm, yeah. If you say so. My thought was at least death will be quick, my words were start the fucking engine and then this isn't funny.

I'm an adrenalin junky myself, but that one --OMG Planes are not meant to free fall towards the earth. He has a couple pics of chopper crashes he walked away from in Nam. Those are WTF moments--really?

He said I thought you like thrill rides-- with this blank look and slight grin.

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Umm, yeah. If you say so. My thought was at least death will be quick, my words were start the fucking engine and then this isn't funny.

I'm an adrenalin junky myself, but that one --OMG Planes are not meant to free fall towards the earth. He has a couple pics of chopper crashes he walked away from in Nam. Those are WTF moments--really?

He said I thought you like thrill rides-- with this blank look and slight grin.
I'm guessing, based on your avie, that's when you lost most of your clothes. Not complaining, mind you, just guessing.

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I REALLY, REALLY HATE PLUMBING!!

My definition of plumbing is: Anything that is designed to hold liquid and can leak is plumbing. This includes domestic water supply, garden hoses, dikes, dams, ditches, buckets, rain gutters, etc. It's all plumbing. I don't hate the objects; I hate the plumbing.

This morning, my wife, aware of my views on plumbing, woke me gently and slowly and advised me of water on the floor around the heating system boiler and a hissing noise. Thinking, " That's not too bad - the weather's getting warmer anyway," - I found the problem to be the water heater which sprung a leak at the bottom from corrosion - to be expected in a 10 year old unit. So, Sami and I spent the whole blessed day shopping for new water heaters, new parts, etc. and installed the new one after two additional trips to Lowe's for parts. We had hot water again at about 9:00 tonight.

It occurs to me that babies and old people are designed to hold liquids and they leak too.

peydob

Banned
Reaction score
Texting for Seniors as follows:

ATD - At the Doctor's

BFF - Best Friends Funeral

BTW - Bring the Wheelchair

BYOT - Bring Your Own Teeth

CBM - Covered by Medicare

CUA TSC - See You at the Senior Center

DWI - Driving While Incontinent

FWBB - Friend with Beta Blockers

FWIW - Forgot Where I Was

FYI - Found Your Insulin

GGPBL - Gotta Go, Pacemaker Battery Low

GHA - Got Heartburn A gain

IMHO - Is My Hearing- A id On?

LMDO - Laughing My Dentures Out

LOL - Living on Lipitor

LWO - Lawrence Welk's On

OMMR - On My Massage Recliner

ROFL..CGU - Rolling on the Floor Laughing...Can't get Up!

TOT - Texting on Toilet

TTYL - Talk to You Louder

WAITT - Who Am I Talking To?

WTP - Where are the Prunes?

WWNO - Walker Wheels Need Oil

Hope these help!

GGLKI - Gotta Go, Laxative Kicking In!

Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.