The Old Farts Bar, Grill and Infirmary

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I know exactly what gail means since we so often use too many words or too much punctuation to say something that may be better said with no words or puntuation at all like when I look at my daughter who has a daughter of her own since i didn't shoot fast enough and I see somewhere deep in my mind the voices are looking back at a never ending movie about her life that is the best movie i ever saw and it has bad parts and good parts and I dont want it to ever end since she is still such a tender helpless thing that needs my attention and to see my joy and to have my shoulder to lean on sometimes because the movie itself is not heavy at all so i take it with everywhere I go and watch it most of the day and never get tired of it because

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know exactly what gail means since we so often use too many words or too much punctuation to say something that may be better said with no words or puntuation at all like when I look at my daughter who has a daughter of her own since i didn't shoot fast enough and I see somewhere deep in my mind the voices are looking back at a never ending movie about her life that is the best movie i ever saw and it has bad parts and good parts and I dont want it to ever end since she is still such a tender helpless thing that needs my attention and to see my joy and to have my shoulder to lean on sometimes because the movie itself is not heavy at all so i take it with everywhere I go and watch it most of the day and never get tired of it because
Exactly. Very concise. Mininalism at its best. Because.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Chase.

Hey! I know where Oregon is!!!

Okay, so I've only been as far as Ohio. (No, Haggis! No more Ohio wisecracks!) But I loved every minute of my visit to the U.S. of A. Beautiful country. Wonderful people.

Actually, I'm supposed to be joining JoeBear for an episode of M*A*S*H but there was this big storm and it blew me off course and I think I'm somewhere in Idaho.

Well, there's a lot of potatoes here.

Anyway, my father was a career soldier in the SA Defense Force for 41 years. He was an armorer by trade (later became head of codification) and he designed the R1 rifle.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=606

If I ever write my memoirs it will be entitled, 'Gun oil in my porridge.'

:D

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'm supposed to be joining JoeBear for an episode of M*A*S*H but there was this big storm and it blew me off course and I think I'm somewhere in Idaho.
I'll wait.
icon10.gif

:D
I like it! Do you plan to have Porter edit it for you?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Hi, Gail. Thanks for the welcome. Love the title of your memoir. This is a true story: When my birthday loomed, my girlfriend asked the name of the "nicely scented aftershave" I had on when we met. I'd just been to the range, and the sweetish smell was Hoppe's No. 9, a long-popular powder solvent and gun oil.

On a larger gun subject . . . every time I claim some small arms expertise, someone always tops it with a tale of bigger, better guns. I don’t know much about artillery, so anyone can say anything about shooting cannons, and I have to try to smile through it.

However, I’m a mystery writer and sometimes can piece a few basic truths together. As directed, I went to the post office near U of O campus to look for photos of Porter, and there on the wall is this photograph:

Cannoners.jpg

The caption below says it’s an older "O" alumni and his starter-gun crew at a track meet.

PorterStarrByrd

Registered
Reaction score
My job was to make sure we won.

and by the way, I am probably the last guy to ever pull the trigger on a 16 inch gun to shoot back at somebody. There are three triggers that had to be closed to fire the thing and I had the hot trigger. We won that one too.

Last edited:

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
However, I’m a mystery writer and sometimes can piece a few basic truths together. As directed, I went to the post office near U of O campus to look for photos of Porter, and there on the wall is this photograph:

Cannoners.jpg

The caption below says it’s an older "O" alumni and his starter-gun crew at a track meet.
Yep, that's Porter - the one with wheels attached.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. Very concise. Mininalism at its best. Because.

Porter is the epitome of conciseness because

As directed, I went to the post office near U of O campus to look for photos of Porter, and there on the wall is this photograph:

Cannoners.jpg

:ROFL:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooo. Hoppe's! Welcome to the Ol' Farts' Home, Chase.

Hi, OFG. Thanks for the kind welcome, especially from another Hoppe's fan. I’m scrolling through the pages since March ’08 and see you’re one of the regulars.

The nostalgia is fun. I do remember: The Life of Riley (What a revoltin’ development!); Sergeant Preston of the Yukon (Well, King, this case is closed. Woof!); The Cisco Kid (Oh, Cisco! Oh, Señorita!); . . . just one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that’s with a U.S. marshal and the smell of . . . Gunsmoke.

Before they were on TV, they were voices from big wooden Philco radio set in our living room. My older sister was born deaf, so I’d sign them for her when we all sat enthralled.

I see the kiddies used to think it cool to drop by and make fun of the elderly. Do they still do that? If so:

Daisy-1.jpg

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see the kiddies used to think it cool to drop by and make fun of the elderly. Do they still do that? If so:

Daisy-1.jpg
Nah, here the elderly stop by (when they are led here by the orderlies) to make fun of the elderly. Usually, neither party understands the jokes so the orderlies also need to explain them.

My wife is blonde but somewhat enjoys blonde jokes. The problem is that I always have to explain them to her.
icon10.gif

PorterStarrByrd

Registered
Reaction score
As long as I'm still here, and realizing that once I leave, it'll prolly be a while before I find my way or am led back ..

I finaly admit that summer break from my blog is over. The snow falling outside my window is an early indicator. (and why does snow fall?)

I just posted some thought about what world travel can do for you, according to Harvard, whoever he is.

the link is in my signature.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
As long as I'm still here, and realizing that once I leave, it'll prolly be a while before I find my way or am led back ..

I finaly admit that summer break from my blog is over. The snow falling outside my window is an early indicator. (and why does snow fall?)

I just posted some thought about what world travel can do for you, according to Harvard, whoever he is.

the link is in my signature.
Harvard? Weren't he that feller from the Beet Generation?

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Harvard? Weren't he that feller from the Beet Generation?
I read your latest post, Port, and found it to be well documented, with excellent reference material, and supported by airtight logic.
icon10.gif

There are folks around here who brag about not leaving the three-county area their entire lives. They are the most creative, broad-minded (pun intended), and critical-thinking individuals one could ever hope to meet. :roll:

To get the latest factual news and critical analysis of global events, they have complete faith in the network they term, "Bubba Down The Road Said So, So It Must Be True."

I think that your support of efforts to stem the flow of knowledge, information, and cross-education, in any direction, is admirable!
icon10.gif
I now rue my travels to other continents and only wish I could forget them.

PorterStarrByrd

Registered
Reaction score
If you live long enough you'll forget those things, like everything else.

Don't worry, once the facts are out, the goverment will sent those people to Portugal for a couple of years, and they will be so much more curious when they come home. :)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll wait.
icon10.gif

I like it! Do you plan to have Porter edit it for you?

You'll wait?
love0071.gif

Actually, I hadn't considered Porter as a beta reader for it but that might be a good idea because

. . . every time I claim some small arms expertise, someone always tops it with a tale of bigger, better guns.

Size matters!!!!

I am probably the last guy to ever pull the trigger on a 16 inch gun.

See! Can remember how - but prolly forgotten when.

Status
Not open for further replies.