• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Goodreads.com beta-readers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skabr

Inspire.Motivate. If nothing, drag!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking for beta readers and absolute-write is of course a great website but I've heard about goodreads.com and that it provides beta readers? Is it any good for getting beta-readers?

Any experience with goodreads.com?

Thanks for reading,:)

Skabr

Last edited:

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Hi Skabr,

I looked into using beta readers from goodreads.com too. There's a forum that's just called the "Beta Reader Group" that links up writers with readers. To get my feet wet there, I offered to read for a few people and found the talent level to be a bit lower than here at absolutewrite. Of course I'm basing this on my limited experience with maybe three or four people there. I was hoping to hook up with someone who seemed like a good match to read my manuscript (women's fiction) and didn't end up finding that.

There are lots of people offering to read at goodreads, they're just not interested in my genre and, honestly, when I see typos in a post offering to beta read, it makes me wary!

Maybe you'll have a different experience there - I just wanted to share mine. Good luck!

JackdeNileth

Eternal Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jack-de-nileth.com
You can certainly find good beta-readers on there, but it can't hurt to offer your services too, as some people might also be willing to swap for a read.
Just don't expect a swarm of beta-readers to appear. You only gather a crowed by offering your own services for every genre of every length, which doesn't really help you. And there are also beta-readers who actually want to be paid first.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Paid? Paid? Deal breaker. Guarantees bias, too.

Maryn, not cool with that

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Paid? Paid? Deal breaker. Guarantees bias, too.

Maryn, not cool with that

That's about what I said, italics and all. Who would... but...

Oye.

I've had local writers offer to pay me to beta (and edit) for them, and I politely decline payment. I'll beta read if we're a good fit, and the novel is interesting and something I want to delve into. Not for money. That would be... I'd feel shitty about it, like I was crossing an ethical line I really don't want to cross.

For the OP, there's also Critiquecircle.com. I'm a loyal AWer, through and through now, and I'd happily suggest looking here first, and reading the stickies on the Beta subforum to get the best response to your request. :)

~ Anna

khobar

Be constructive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpnixon.com
There are many Goodreads.com groups, but two I'm familiar with are - Authors Seeking Betas and Betas Seeking Authors.

My experience there has been very positive and I would highly recommend giving it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.