Being offended by the term 'fair'

Status
Not open for further replies.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I think people who attempt to force political correctness onto others are intolerant, oversensitive, and narrow minded.

That's funny, because I think people who assume political correctness is a stick to beat people who like to make 'racial stereotype jokes' with (aka 'racist jokes') just don't give a monkey's about how other people feel, and are looking for a way to justify their own selfish attitude.

danrupe

Think think think...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not offensive, but it strikes me as tone-deaf and likely insensitive/uninformed toward topics of gender, sexism, realistic portrayals of females, etc. If I came across this term and it was not being used ironically to mock sexism, I would probably stop reading, unless there were some seriously amazing qualities in the story.

The fact that you reductively dismiss it as "overly PC zealotry" tells me a lot about your attitude toward women, and pretty much ensures that this is not the kind of writing I'm interested in reading.

I second this... I'm always surprised at how few words writers can up with to describe women, especially in a action story: don the chainmail bikini and scream a lot -or- wait for the hero and scream a lot.

If being "fair" is the most important quality for the heroine, then I personally would pass on it. Again, I second I'm not offended by the word itself.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't tolerance extend to the values of others - including those who don't have political correctness as a value or are, indeed, offended by the constraints PC zealotry attempts to place on them?

It's your choice whether or not you want to take into account how you come off to other people, so in that sense, I guess you have the right to ignore political correctness. However, don't be surprised when people then label you as "sexist" etc and you lose potential readers because of it. :D

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can make racial stereotype jokes without actually being racist (ie. thinking people of that race are in fact inferior).

This is definitely not hippo-approved. :D

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second this... I'm always surprised at how few words writers can up with to describe women, especially in a action story: don the chainmail bikini and scream a lot -or- wait for the hero and scream a lot.

If being "fair" is the most important quality for the heroine, then I personally would pass on it. Again, I second I'm not offended by the word itself.

I'm gonna second this :)

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
I'll change the wording, although I'm not sure how overlap there is between those who would be offended by this and people who would likely be fans of the actual stories. However...

In short: if a persons thinks they have some sort of inbuilt right to offend others in the name of "not being politically correct", then yes, it's likely they are a racist, a sexist, a bigot of some stripe.

This kind of assumption, IMO, is just as intolerate and bigoted as the assumptions racists, sexists etc. make towards those they look down upon. It's discriminatory against a group - ie. the group of 'people who don't want to take care to be PC'. I'm offended, seriously.

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
This kind of assumption, IMO, is just as intolerate and bigoted as the assumptions racists, sexists etc. make towards those they look down upon. It's discriminatory against a group - ie. the group of 'people who don't want to take care to be PC'. I'm offended, seriously.
Against a group of people who have sufficient privilege to be unable to see why not throwing around pejoratives and careless phrasing is important. The rest of us - the ones your language choices actually affect - don't get to be so flippant. You'll understand why, as a disabled bisexual Romani woman, my heart doesn't bleed for you.

You don't want to be "PC", go ahead. Knock yourself out. But to act all surprised and hard done by when people challenge you over it? Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
It absolutely is when it goes this far. I mean if you're offended by racial jokes used in a derogatory manner, that's one thing... but the word 'fair' in an ironic context? That reeks of a desire for totalitarian conformity to me, totally anathema to my values.

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
It absolutely is when it goes this far. I mean if you're offended by racial jokes used in a derogatory manner, that's one thing... but the word 'fair' in an ironic context? That reeks of a desire for totalitarian conformity to me, totally anathema to my values.

If you don't care, why did you ask in the first place?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I'm off. You are way too stoopid for me to take seriously.

Deleted member 42

I'm sorry you're offended, but it strikes me as an opportune time to suggest you might profit from re-reading the The Newbie Guide to Absolute Write.

Especially this part.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
Against a group of people who have sufficient privilege

See, that's another assumption. What 'group' do you mean here, are people who don't like being expected to adhere to strict political correctness one 'group' that is somehow 'privileged' and if so privileged in what way?

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world

:ROFL:

let me repeat:

It's discriminatory against a group - ie. the group of 'people who don't want to take care to be PC'. I'm offended, seriously.

People who don't want to take care to be PC.

...so sorry it's an inconvenience to anyone that we might like to experience a conversation that doesn't involve where the other person blunders along, tossing out offense left and right and then when called on it, flap their arms and say "OMG I'M OFFENDED THAT YOU ARE TAKING OFFENSE BECAUSE I CAN'T BOTHER TO UNDERSTAND THE IMPACT AND THE IMPORT OF MY WORDS AND HOW THEY EFFECT OTHERS".

You know...from the people who don't want to take care to be PC.

So...I say again...

:Jaw:

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
See, that's another assumption. What 'group' do you mean here, are people who don't like being expected to adhere to strict political correctness one 'group' that is somehow 'privileged' and if so privileged in what way?

is it an assumption if I state that you're clearly being wilfully ignorant and will go out of your way not to understand me even if I phrase it in such a way that even a five year old could understand? Because that's the vibe I'm getting from you.

Not being politically correct is a choice. Being a woman is not. Being black is not. Being gay is not. Being disabled is not. You choose your words, you choose not to give a shit whether they upset someone - you don't get to cry discrimination. You get to pull your big-kid pants up and deal with the consequences of your choice.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
So is there an assumption that all people who don't value political correctness are of a particular race, gender, etc?

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
So is there an assumption that all people who don't value political correctness are of a particular race, gender, etc?

I don't think you'll find I've said that anywhere. A person who doesn't care if their words offend someone is either lucky enough to have never been on the sharp end of those words, or ignorant enough to assume that because they're thick-skinned, everyone else ought to be.

I ask you again: if you have no interest in being "politically correct", why make a thread about the suitability of your word choices to begin with? You're either a troll, or you were looking for validation, and got all squishy and upset when you didn't get it.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
No, I'm arguing that you don't have to be PC not to be sexist. You can make racial stereotype jokes without actually being racist (ie. thinking people of that race are in fact inferior). I think people who attempt to force political correctness onto others are intolerant, oversensitive, and narrow minded.

Really? Really? Are you really going there? :rolleyes:

And aye you did. Sigh.

And there again.

And there you are again.

Considering how little respect you have for minorities and women how can you write about us?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I ask you again: if you have no interest in being "politically correct", why make a thread about the suitability of your word choices to begin with? You're either a troll, or you were looking for validation, and got all squishy and upset when you didn't get it.

I really don't think OP is a troll - this isn't an early post. But I think perhaps OP should take a moment to read the FAQs, reflect, get through the red-and-wriggly stage (I've been there - try to think of it as a teachable moment ;) ) and then come back and continue the discussion from a new perspective.

There's never anything wrong with learning. :Sun:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
'Girls' isn't a broader term for women.

It is around here. I hear women use it on a daily basis. So why can't men use it, as well?

I go out with the boys, my wife goes out with the girls, and she uses girls as a broader term for women constantly. I really don't know any women who don't use it this way. Who knows, maybe it's a reghional thing.

But "girls" is not an insult, anymore than "boys" is an insult.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is around here. I hear women use it on a daily basis. So why can't men use it, as well?

I go out with the boys, my wife goes out with the girls, and she uses girls as a broader term for women constantly. I really don't know any women who don't use it this way. Who knows, maybe it's a reghional thing.

But "girls" is not an insult, anymore than "boys" is an insult.

Around here meaning in your neighborhood and amongst your friends? Or around here meaning AW - which may have a different linguistic code?

Yeah - maybe it's a regional thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.