Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Early 20th Century literature had several big name writers producing amazing works, among them Hemingway, Faulkner, Steinbeck, and Fitzgerald.

Who, in your opinion, are the literary equivalents of those writers currently being published today?

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Karren Russell, Amy Tan, George Saunders, T.C. Boyle, Cormac McCarthy, Michael Cunningham, Sam Lipsyte, Stephen Dunn, Don Delillo, Junot Diaz, Jhumpa Lahiri, Haruki Murakami... Too many contemporary greats to list.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'd throw in Kazuo Ishiguro, Julian Barnes, Jeffrey Eugenides, and I'd likely get some pushback on this, but I'd say Barbara Kingsolver and Stephen King.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'd throw in Kazuo Ishiguro, Julian Barnes, Jeffrey Eugenides, and I'd likely get some pushback on this, but I'd say Barbara Kingsolver and Stephen King.

I don't know who Kingsolver is, but is King considered literary? I would put him more in the genre category, but then I've only read some of his early horror novels.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I don't know who Kingsolver is, but is King considered literary? I would put him more in the genre category, but then I've only read some of his early horror novels.

King is a great novelist. He's absolutely terrific. I think 'literary' is more a term of approbation than a description, so I'm happy to call even his most genre novels 'literary' (as I'd be happy to call Chandler's genre-defining PI novels literary.) But that's a whole other debate.

railroad

Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth Strout would definitely be on that list.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score

When I was at university I took a module in Gothic Literature, and we read The Shining. So, I think it's fair to say there's a place for him within Modern Gothic, alongside writers like Anne Rice and Iain Banks.

Add Iain Banks to that list for me. :D

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
To me, part of being great is transcending genre. I personally think Stephen King has a pretty good chance of turning out to be a literary great, or at least having some of his books migrate into the literature section in the future equivalent of a bookstore. Look at Edgar Allen Poe :D.

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
Add Toni Morrison, Patrick Suskind and Richard Bach.

edit: also, David Wroblewski and Michael Ondaatje

Last edited:

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
King is a great novelist. He's absolutely terrific. I think 'literary' is more a term of approbation than a description...

this. King can really spin a story. SO MANY stories (he's so amazingly prolific... i sometimes wonder if he's [only] human :tongue)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Many, many literary writers write genre stories, and many, many genre stories are most certainly literary. King has written some of the best of these.

Have you read The Body. How about Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption? Or his stories in The New Yorker? As one literary critic put it, if King weren't so well known as a horror writer, he'd be considered the best living literary writer we have.

But even a straight horror story can be as literary as any other story out there. Literary is what you have to say about the human condition, and how well you say it, not whether it is or isn't genre.

Take a look at the literary greats from past ages, and think how easily a great many of their stories would fit into one genre or another.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will I get egged if I said Terry Pratchett?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Early 20th Century literature had several big name writers producing amazing works, among them Hemingway, Faulkner, Steinbeck, and Fitzgerald.

Who, in your opinion, are the literary equivalents of those writers currently being published today?

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.

I don't get it. :Shrug: Are you saying you don't think there are any modern greats, or you don't agree with the ones listed for the early 20th?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I would put Joyce Carol Oates on any such list, and she's the person I've read more by than any other writer, living or dead.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of those. Also Marilynne Robinson.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for Alice Munro and Margaret Atwood. Has anyone mentioned William Trevor?

Status
Not open for further replies.