• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

P.N. Elrod is Critiquing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
She may live to regret this, but P.N. Elrod has just put this page up on her website. She's paying off a big vet bill and doing critiques to raise the money.

She has an honor system in place, you pay what you think it's worth, but the minimum is dirt cheap.

And it helps out her dog. That's pretty cool.

http://www.vampwriter.com/CRITIQUE.htm

She's selling other things to raise money, too. If you're into Doctor Who or buying cover art....

http://www.vampwriter.com/TimeTravel.htm

Her dog's story is at the bottom of that page.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. I know a few serious Doctor Who fans and have sent the link, since they're going to covet those goods.

Maryn, hoping she earns plenty

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
She may live to regret this, but P.N. Elrod has just put this page up on her website. She's paying off a big vet bill and doing critiques to raise the money.

She has an honor system in place, you pay what you think it's worth, but the minimum is dirt cheap.

And it helps out her dog. That's pretty cool.

http://www.vampwriter.com/CRITIQUE.htm

She's selling other things to raise money, too. If you're into Doctor Who or buying cover art....

http://www.vampwriter.com/TimeTravel.htm

Her dog's story is at the bottom of that page.
That's incredibly cool. Especially for her pup.

Good on her for doing this.

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score
That's a staggeringly cheap minimum! Not sure my skin is thick enough to take it, but really hope she raises a ton of money.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yayeahyeah, if you have the money, hand your work over. Elrod is fab, and knows what she's doing. She won't lead you astray and your skin will soon toughen up.

klswaim

Learning to love rejection...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kevinleeswaim.blogspot.com
I submitted. Partially because I want the feedback, and partially because even though I don't own a dog and never have, I used to work at a kennel and hate to hear of a dog suffering. If it helps pay the vet bills, that's totally cool with me.

klswaim

Learning to love rejection...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kevinleeswaim.blogspot.com
Wow, the feedback was fantastic. Oh, not in a pump-up-my-ego way, but in an honest, make your work better way.

And, I got to help a dog!

I submitted. Partially because I want the feedback, and partially because even though I don't own a dog and never have, I used to work at a kennel and hate to hear of a dog suffering. If it helps pay the vet bills, that's totally cool with me.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Awesome! She's one of the best editors I know. Sign up quick while there's still room. (((Hugz))) to her dog. Anything to help out a loyal pooch. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could do this, even if just to help with the dog. It's great hearing of owners that try their best to give their pets the care needed, instead of those who abandon them or put them to sleep because the just want the easy way out. Alas, I don't have anything available. I write my openings last.

Last edited:

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Holds hand*

It's not nearly as scary as you think!

Maybe I'm a little masochistic, but I'm really looking forward to her feedback--really.

I have sharp claws, and I have a hard time finding critique buddies who do too.

I don't think P.N. is going to have that problem. :)

*licks blood drop from toepad*

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to it too. I submitted last week, hoping to hear back from her soon. I love having bricks shoved in my face, how else are you going to learn? Can't wait to see what she has to say.

:) And you're sure to get an impartial answer this time on whether there's truly something wrong with your first few chapters.

parakeety

Registered
Reaction score
I was in touch with her last week. She's lovely really.

Mostly :D

BaneStryfe

Recluse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writerinawarehouse.wordpress.com
:) And you're sure to get an impartial answer this time on whether there's truly something wrong with your first few chapters.

I may very well cry, who knows? But I will take those tears, hone them until they are razor sharp, and use them to slice that manuscript into pieces small enough to fit in a very tiny bread box.... very tiny

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could do this. Sadly, I have bills that need to be paid, and the only story I have ready is a MG horror novel. :e2bummed:

I really hope she gets the money for her dog.

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
I hate myself right now. She said she didn't want any story where animals die and my very last sentence is

'
[FONT=&quot]He felled two of the beasts before unsheathing his daggers and slashing through one more.'

One sentence. Literally the last sentence. The only sentence were an animal dies. I thought it cut off before that. I expect a very big brick to the face.

*Sucks thumb in the corner and cries while eating rocky road ice cream.*

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

BaneStryfe

Recluse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writerinawarehouse.wordpress.com
I just got my critique back and oh my god... I did cry, but it was tears of joy, trust me. She tore it apart. The whole document was full of red and blue, but the things she mentioned, while often hilariously wonderfully said, made me actually see the issues with most of my first chapter. Which means they're probably issues in my whole novel.

Literally the best thing I could have had done with this POS I call a manuscript. Time to call in the Shredder.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
oh my.......just clicked send..... yikes!

:pinata

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

*Sucks thumb in the corner and cries while eating rocky road ice cream.*

*pets* Think of it this way... she promised a brick anyway, right, so how bad can a bigger one be?

*realizes that's not terribly reassuring, then wisely slinks away*

I just got my critique back and oh my god... I did cry, but it was tears of joy, trust me. She tore it apart. The whole document was full of red and blue, but the things she mentioned, while often hilariously wonderfully said, made me actually see the issues with most of my first chapter. Which means they're probably issues in my whole novel.

Literally the best thing I could have had done with this POS I call a manuscript. Time to call in the Shredder.

Now that... see, that's encouraging. Not the part where you want to call the Shredded, but the part where you now have specific issues to tackle and can move forward with a stronger, better draft. :)

oh my.......just clicked send..... yikes!

:pinata

Ohhh... welcome to the excited/nervous/masochist group! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.