• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

P.N. Elrod is Critiquing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh... welcome to the excited/nervous/masochist group! :)

Yep- that's me! And just got the follow- up email "I'll be with you in a little while" since there's a long line of submissions. Plus she mentions if you're not ready for the brick she advises to retract the submission.....

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
This is a pretty impressive opportunity, whether you're new at writing or not. And I love the cause.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
this is for real

Just got my critique back. Nice lady, great comments. She's standing up for her principles. A lesser person might sugarcoat the critique or doing a less than thorough job, and who could blame them under the circumstances, but she's giving it complete and straight. A great cause as well--give generously.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm in on this; a bit nervous, but for this price it's too good to pass up.

Got my crit back today - she's really good. And worth way more than $10 a pop, so if you can afford more (seriously, in UK money that's £6 - less than the price of a sandwich in a London pub) then do pay more.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Got my crit back...totally worth waiting for! (and worth way more than $10)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you're getting such great results.

A friend of our daughter's bought something Doctor Who-related from her, and thanked me for the link.

Maryn, who did her small part

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really debating this. But...because there won't be any afterwards back and forth, I'm worried it'll confuse or scare me rather than help. I've always had a tough time with the starts of stories and I'm worried the comments will be like they are in some crits, just a bunch of 'it's not working' without any ideas on how to improve. Of course, my writing is still improving and isn't ready for publication so I don't what to do.

Advice?

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really debating this. But...because there won't be any afterwards back and forth, I'm worried it'll confuse or scare me rather than help. I've always had a tough time with the starts of stories and I'm worried the comments will be like they are in some crits, just a bunch of 'it's not working' without any ideas on how to improve. Of course, my writing is still improving and isn't ready for publication so I don't what to do.

Advice?

When I was getting started, I'd have done it. And then I'd have probably moped for a while at not getting back a "this is so brilliant, you'll probably be the next big thing!" response--because don't we all secretly hope for such things? And then I'd have knuckled down and worked on what she said were the problems, and probably been a better writer for it. I was in a workshop a decade ago where the successful writer running it warned that most of us would hate him by the end. I still have the incredibly thick skin I grew over the course of those months. I also learned more in six months than I had in the several years before the workshop.

She's not going to say something doesn't work and leave it at that. There'd be little in point in offering a critique if that were the case. I imagine she'll be quite pointed about what's not working and why.

The big question is are you ready to hear it? If you know you have a long way to go, it could either discourage you or give you a goal for improvement. Only you can begin to guess how you and your ego might react to honest criticism from a pro. If you can take it, it can only help you.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
When I was getting started, I'd have done it. And then I'd have probably moped for a while at not getting back a "this is so brilliant, you'll probably be the next big thing!" response--because don't we all secretly hope for such things? And then I'd have knuckled down and worked on what she said were the problems, and probably been a better writer for it. I was in a workshop a decade ago where the successful writer running it warned that most of us would hate him by the end. I still have the incredibly thick skin I grew over the course of those months. I also learned more in six months than I had in the several years before the workshop.

She's not going to say something doesn't work and leave it at that. There'd be little in point in offering a critique if that were the case. I imagine she'll be quite pointed about what's not working and why.

The big question is are you ready to hear it? If you know you have a long way to go, it could either discourage you or give you a goal for improvement. Only you can begin to guess how you and your ego might react to honest criticism from a pro. If you can take it, it can only help you.

Tough crits don't bother me. My work just isn't as ready as I'd like and my only rush is that she hasn't said when she'll stop offering this and I don't want to miss the opportunity to learn. I'm mostly worried about getting confused. I wish she were taking a horror, I have a short story that's more ready. First chapters are literally either the easiest scene or the toughest for me.

I guess I just need to stop dancing and go for it?

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
. My work just isn't as ready as I'd like

If your work isn't as ready as you'd like, then it's probably not ready for a crit. Get it up on Share Your Work here instead before you spend any cash. Here you can get a back and forth with readers to clarify points and your horror story is good to go.

I've been following her on Facebook and it doesn't look like she'll stop anytime soon. The vet bill she's trying to pay off is apparently more than the advance she gets for a novel. Going to take a lot of 10-buck donations to pay that down.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score

Advice?

For me, there were two benefits in taking advantage of this offer. The first, was that I got one hell of a great crit. Stuff that I never would have thought of, and a brutally honest assessment of what I had given her. (And it wasn't mean or scary, by the way.)

But, more importantly, I think, I got the experience of taking the plunge and sending off my work to someone with serious credentials. That was scary. And showing myself that I could survive that was almost more valuable than the crit itself.

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com

Advice?

I can't tell you what to do, just offer my own thought process. I've worked and reworked my manuscript several times. I'm finishing up my, count them, fourth edit/rewrite. Finally, I think this version is the one. But whether it's good enough, I don't know, which is why I sent off for critting. Even if it comes back with red slashes through every word, at least I'll know. And if it comes back with suggestions, well, even better.

Maybe it won't be easy to see my baby torn to bits, but at least I'll know, ya know?

BaneStryfe

Recluse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writerinawarehouse.wordpress.com
For me, there were two benefits in taking advantage of this offer. The first, was that I got one hell of a great crit. Stuff that I never would have thought of, and a brutally honest assessment of what I had given her. (And it wasn't mean or scary, by the way.)

But, more importantly, I think, I got the experience of taking the plunge and sending off my work to someone with serious credentials. That was scary. And showing myself that I could survive that was almost more valuable than the crit itself.

I agree with this, but I know that if I felt that if my work wasn't finished or polished enough for someone else to look at, I wouldn't have done it. I was lucky that I found out about it at the perfect time in the novel's life - several months after the draft was written and I was just getting ready to buckle down to try to revise and edit the crap out of it. It was a wonderful starting point even though I've pretty much had to start rewriting the whole damn thing. But like I said before, that's how you learn.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with this, but I know that if I felt that if my work wasn't finished or polished enough for someone else to look at, I wouldn't have done it. I was lucky that I found out about it at the perfect time in the novel's life - several months after the draft was written and I was just getting ready to buckle down to try to revise and edit the crap out of it. It was a wonderful starting point even though I've pretty much had to start rewriting the whole damn thing. But like I said before, that's how you learn.

I agree with you Bane. I was in the same place as you. This happened at a perfect time for me.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my brick :) Just out of curiosity what was the average turn around time? I'm looking at 2 weeks right now- not a big deal and definitely not complaining- simply curious.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
If your work isn't as ready as you'd like, then it's probably not ready for a crit. Get it up on Share Your Work here instead before you spend any cash. Here you can get a back and forth with readers to clarify points and your horror story is good to go.

I've been following her on Facebook and it doesn't look like she'll stop anytime soon. The vet bill she's trying to pay off is apparently more than the advance she gets for a novel. Going to take a lot of 10-buck donations to pay that down.

Hmm ok thanks for that update. Btw, she isn't accepting horror so I plan to send her chapter one of my fantasy. I guess I can take a little more time before sending.

Btw, her poor dog! I know just how she feels, i have a constantly sick cat.

BaneStryfe

Recluse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writerinawarehouse.wordpress.com
I'm still waiting for my brick :) Just out of curiosity what was the average turn around time? I'm looking at 2 weeks right now- not a big deal and definitely not complaining- simply curious.

I sent mine on the 19th of march, got the critique on the 28th. I get the feeling that she's probably even busier with it now than she was before, and with the amount of work she puts into the critique it could take a while. But it's well worth the wait.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, yes I get the impression that she is very busy. her initial response was she had received it but it would be several days until she got to it.

It is a very creative and generous thing she's doing. I have a dog with health issues so i can relate to the expense they can rack up. Someone actually suggested we put our dog down, not because he is suffering but because he is too much trouble to take care of- :Wha:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I am a glutten for punishment. I sent the first chapter of the one I sent to Harper Voyager that was in the running until the last cut... See what she thinks...

Gladly donate more than the mere $10 she is asking for...

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
It looked to be still open, so I just sent something on. :scared:

At first I was going to send in something on hold right now but figured I might as well send whatever I'm closest to wanting to submit. It's certainly an amazing opportunity at any rate.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score

I just sent mine in today and she told me it would be about two weeks so I'd assume you'll be getting yours any day now.

One question for everyone though... In her response she pointed out something in my first few lines that she says she regularly has to tell even experienced writers to avoid. She then told me to start a scene as late as possible and have a hook.

I understand the hook part. But what did she mean by start a scene as late as possible?

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
My guess. Pure guess. Uneducated guess.

Conventional wisdom is to start a scene late and quit early. Say for example the scene is a party. The MC can be there ASAP, witnesses all irrelevant happenings, numerous bit-role characters come and go, before the murderer shows up, kills MC's wife, and leaves. Alternatively (starts late), the MC can show up right before the murderer does, just enough time to introduce his wife to the host.

After the murderer has gone, the MC can stay, mourns, goes to bathroom, calls his family, gives statement to cops, informs friends, have midnight snacks, etc, before calling it a night. Alternatively (leaves early), he can jump onto a car and chases the murderer (another scene), or he passes out when wife dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.