• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Critique Partner Wanted-YA fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a critique partner for my manuscript. It is 93k words and is YA fantasy. The working title is Alinair: Gamble of Mind, Body and World.

Here is the description that I used in my query letter.

[FONT=&quot]Fourteen-year-old elf Alinair must never break the magical seal inscribed on his soul. If he does, the magic trapped within him will cause the Sundering, a world-ending disaster. After one of Alinair’s own family betrays him to their human enemies, their soldiers capture Alinair and demand he alter the seal—and the magic it controls—in their favor. With Alinair, they could make it impossible for anyone other than them to use magic.

Alinair refuses, and the soldiers force the dark spirit Draenan to possess him. Draenan hacks away at the seal, but Alinair takes advantage of the spirit's power to escape. It’s a risk to use Draenan, but Alinair doesn’t see any other way—the dark spirit is the only thing keeping the humans from lopping his head off.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And after fleeing to the mountains, Alinair sees a human army about to invade his home. Draenan’s all he has to stop them, but the seal is already in tatters and the Sundering is beginning anew. Alinair still has a chance to repair the seal if he doesn’t attack, yet he has a chance to stop an entire invasion. On the other hand, he’ll be the world’s destroyer if the seal breaks. [/FONT]

I am looking for the larger, contextual issues, but I wouldn't say no to an LBL. I really don't like to limit critiquers. Like with writing, I feel that critiquers have their own styles.

As for what I am interested in, in order of preference: thrillers, mystery, suspense, sci-fi, fantasy, YA contemporary, horror, or NA. I can do most Adult, but I'm really not the person for memoirs, erotica, spiritual writing, literary, screenwriting, etc.

For critiques, I will try to keep what you want in mind. Typically, I will point out issues as comments, then compile a general read at the end of the chapter. I typically prefer one chapter at a time, or I can do beta reads, though I will typically do that in three chapters blocks.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287662&page=8

And here is my first chapter.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292477

If you are interested, post a reply, or send me an IM. I look forward to hearing from anyone.

LuminousTyto

Banned
Reaction score
Can I ask exactly what you're looking for? Do you want a 1 for 1? I critique yours, you critique mine, or are you looking for something more?

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask exactly what you're looking for? Do you want a 1 for 1? I critique yours, you critique mine, or are you looking for something more?

Critique partners usually ask for a 1 on 1, or an exchange of manuscripts for a critique.

LuminousTyto

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I'm interested if you are. The problem is, I can only do very little reading on the PC because it hurts my eyes. I'm going to get an e-reader, probably a nook, here in a couple months. Assuming you still want a beta read by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.