Starting in the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Where do your stories start? Is it a rookie move to start where telling a story at the beginning? Or even worse, probably, before the beginning of any action? The last story I wrote starts in the middle. This is just something I tried out, and, to me, this story reads and feels more professional than many other stories I've done. So, is it because of where I chose to begin the piece?

I am talking about where you choose to begin a piece. I'm not talking about writing out of order. I'm just trying to get a feel for the best place to begin writing a story. In my example, a good amount of action has already taken place off the page. My piece starts in the middle of something that is already going on. This was a decision I was reluctant to make at first, but now that I did it and believe it works, it is making me question the best place to start a short story.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's difficult for me to say. I don't know anything about the story when I start writing, except for the title, and the genre. The general rule of thumb is to start as late in the story as possible while still getting in all necessary information.

For me, character, and story, which means whatever the problem is going to be, are the best starting point, wherever it takes place. I think it takes both to draw in readers, but I really don't worry if it's the middle, as long as it's both character and story. This probably means I do start pretty late, but it works.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Oh! Ok, I begin my piece from chapter one. But it's plotted around the turning point, and that's about it.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Short stories don't usually have chapters.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
It's difficult for me to say. I don't know anything about the story when I start writing, except for the title, and the genre. The general rule of thumb is to start as late in the story as possible while still getting in all necessary information.

For me, character, and story, which means whatever the problem is going to be, are the best starting point, wherever it takes place. I think it takes both to draw in readers, but I really don't worry if it's the middle, as long as it's both character and story. This probably means I do start pretty late, but it works.

I think that is what I did with this piece. I started as late in the story as possible. It made such a difference. I usually tend to open with character over story (story the way you mention it). Or I tend to start too far back in the story. But my latest creation has changed my approach.

When you open with character, how long to you stay with character development before getting to the story?

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Even if you start with character, in short fiction you should still try to get to the story as soon as possible. You develop the character exactly as much as you need to for the story to continue and make sense. No more and no less.

There's really no set formula for how long it takes, though. It depends on the story.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I know it depends on the story, but sometimes it is still hard to figure out.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Oh I'm referring to novelettes. Above 7,500 words, under 17,500 words.

Bluegate

Clearly has too much time on hand.
Registered
Reaction score
What is this? Some kind of stalker question?
I think it's very insightful of you to have started in the middle. Most people burn up a lot of pages and reader patience bogging down with the beginning when the real story almost always starts in the middle. You can always bump out the beginning if it needs it later.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
When you open with character, how long to you stay with character development before getting to the story?

I start with character and story at the same time. For me, this is the best starting point for a short story, the point in time when both main character and story occupy the same space and time.

NDoyle

Writer, Editor, Photographer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
Finish writing the story first. In a subsequent draft, you'll be better able to figure out what its best beginning is.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
One piece of advice I liked (directed at genre fiction): Start with a character in action, i.e., something happening around a character who'll play a major role in the plot. It's okay if you haven't revealed much about the character yet. In the moment, the reader won't care about anything except whether the character escapes the burning building, the villain sets the trap, or whatever. Fill in the rest later.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Finish writing the story first. In a subsequent draft, you'll be better able to figure out what its best beginning is.

The story is finished. I don't know what made you think it wasn't, but that is not an issue.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
For me the middle is more like connecting two versions of the same person in a arc, that are different enough to constitute change anyway. So why not know the turning point first?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
One piece of advice I liked (directed at genre fiction): Start with a character in action, i.e., something happening around a character who'll play a major role in the plot. It's okay if you haven't revealed much about the character yet. In the moment, the reader won't care about anything except whether the character escapes the burning building, the villain sets the trap, or whatever. Fill in the rest later.

This is basically what I did, but now I am wondering if I need more character development upfront. I don't believe I do, but how do you gage this? Thanks for the post.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I start with character and story at the same time. For me, this is the best starting point for a short story, the point in time when both main character and story occupy the same space and time.

Maybe you are saying the same thing as the last person I respond to, but I'm not sure. I think I did what you are talking about in my story. It starts with one of the main characters doing something right away that is a major plot point. I don't have a lot of character description up front. Is that what you mean by "character" or does it seem like I did what you were talking about?

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you are saying the same thing as the last person I respond to, but I'm not sure. I think I did what you are talking about in my story. It starts with one of the main characters doing something right away that is a major plot point. I don't have a lot of character description up front. Is that what you mean by "character" or does it seem like I did what you were talking about?

Have you considered bouncing over to SYW and posting a few hundred words to get feedback from those folks? It might be easier for people to answer your questions if they could see what it is you're doing.

NDoyle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
The story is finished. I don't know what made you think it wasn't, but that is not an issue.

I meant that advice generally to those with such a question: that was the "impersonal you," not the you-you. My apologize that you took it otherwise.

The advice of "starting in the middle" is well intended, and might generally be true, but some people use this as one yardstick by which to measure a story. Some of my own short stories/novelettes do not start in the middle of the action. These tend to start "even worse!"--earlier, sometimes (maybe even worse than worse) with exposition by the first-person or omniscient narrator. And these are published works; I don't doubt that some critiquers would have torn them to pieces for these and other reasons. (Reviewers sometimes do! :) )

Starting a story in the middle is not necessarily a "rookie move." A rookie move would be having the final draft of the story start in the wrong place, wherever that may be.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
For me the middle is more like connecting two versions of the same person in a arc, that are different enough to constitute change anyway. So why not know the turning point first?

I don't even know what a turning point is, but I suspect it's another term for "middle". When I start a story, I have no idea what it's going to be about, what the plot will be, or, of course, where, when, or how any action will take place, so I really have no clue where the "middle" is, or where any "turning point" might be.

"Middle", I think, is really just a way of saying "in media res", or "In the midst of things". Start where something is happening, where a character is presented with a problem he must act on.

For me, this just means dropping what I hope is an interesting character into what I hope is an equally interesting situation, and letting him work his way out of the situation. I have no idea whether this has anything to do with a "turning point".

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I don't even know what a turning point is, but I suspect it's another term for "middle". When I start a story, I have no idea what it's going to be about, what the plot will be, or, of course, where, when, or how any action will take place, so I really have no clue where the "middle" is, or where any "turning point" might be.

"Middle", I think, is really just a way of saying "in media res", or "In the midst of things". Start where something is happening, where a character is presented with a problem he must act on.

For me, this just means dropping what I hope is an interesting character into what I hope is an equally interesting situation, and letting him work his way out of the situation. I have no idea whether this has anything to do with a "turning point".

Well, in screenplay writing a "turning point" is where the character makes a decision or where the circumstances change. They're generally discussed within the context of story structure.

Beginning: Starts with the status quo. Turning Point One marks the catalyst. Turning Point Two marks the transition to the middle of the story. Sometimes Turning Points One and Two are the same.

Middle: Begins with Turning Point Two. Marked by Turning Point 3 at the midpoint of the story. Ended by Turning Point 4 which transitions to the end.

End: Begins with Turning Point 4. Marked by climax of story and resolution.

I'm not really crazy about the paint-by-numbers approach and it generally results in writers freaking out about following the formula, but if you like a more methodical approach then it at least gives you a starting point.

NDoyle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
In the context of beginnings, "middle" = "in media res" has always been my understanding.

Gettingby, to address what seems to be your very specific point: providing a reader with a description of a character before the action is not necessarily a requirement. Either way can work fine if done well. (Likewise, either way can fail if done poorly.)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score

We are talking about the same thing. I guess my choice of the word "middle" wasn't the best.

Thanks to everyone for posting. I'm not sure if I will be able to do this with every story, but, for this particular one, I did and believed it worked. It is really a great feeling to know that the best of your abilities are down on paper.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the most instantly engaging stories I've ever read don't start with something happening; they start with something already having happened.

caw

"Well, "happening" is open to interpretation. I'll bet all of those stories started with both character and story, in the midst of things.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, in screenplay writing a "turning point" is where the character makes a decision or where the circumstances change. They're generally discussed within the context of story structure.

Beginning: Starts with the status quo. Turning Point One marks the catalyst. Turning Point Two marks the transition to the middle of the story. Sometimes Turning Points One and Two are the same.

Middle: Begins with Turning Point Two. Marked by Turning Point 3 at the midpoint of the story. Ended by Turning Point 4 which transitions to the end.

End: Begins with Turning Point 4. Marked by climax of story and resolution.

I'm not really crazy about the paint-by-numbers approach and it generally results in writers freaking out about following the formula, but if you like a more methodical approach then it at least gives you a starting point.

I don't even think about such things. Not for a second. I haven't had a screenplay produced yet, but I've had several optioned in the last few years, so there's hope. I write a screenplay the same way I write a short story or a novel. The format is different, I leave out most description, etc., but I still just drop what I hope is an interesting character into an interesting situation, and see what happens.

The one thing we never studied for a second in college was writing for the screen. I have read two books about screenwriting, but they dealt primarily with format.

I think it's difficult to write any other way when you don't have a clue what they story is about, and don't even have the faintest idea what will happen on the next page until you get there and write it.

Whatever I'm writing, I just sit down and tell a story, and story structure is instinctive. I've watched a lot of movies in my life, and I know how the ones I like best open. In truth, they tend to open the same way most of my favorite novels and short stories open, which is with a character who very quickly gets himself into trouble, be that trouble serious or humorous.

There's a problem to solve, a question to answer, or both, and there's a character who need to solve the problem, answer the question, or both. That's what story is, and I'm just a storyteller, not a writer.

On a side note, I am completely, irrevocably convinced that Hollywood has more lunatics per square mile than any other place on earth. I've heard dozens of lunatic tale sin the screenwriting world, but I've experienced one firsthand.

To make it as short as possible, one small group has renewed the option on one of my screenplays several times, and they pay better than average, so I gladly let them. But when I pressed to see what the chances were of having it actually turned into a movie, the answer I got was bewildering.

The head honcho said, not really any chance at all. It was a lousy screenplay, and most certainly would not made a good movie.

So I naturally asked why they continued to renew the option.

"Because," he said, "if we lose control of it, someone else might grab it, turn it into a great movie, and make a ton of money."

"But. ..you said it was a lousy screenplay, and wouldn't make a good movie."

"That's true, but there are people out there who wouldn't know that, and because they don't know it, they could spend millions on a screenplay like yours, and even though the screenplay is lousy, the movie would be excellent because they don't understand how bad it is."

I went on tilt at that point.

People ask why I let them keep renewing the option, and I have two reasons, both, I think, good enough.

1. This is a well-known group, and they've been responsible for some very large movies.

2. Well, let me put it this way. A few years bad we had a new neighbor move it. They have a high fence around their backyard, but I could see down into it from my bedroom window, and I soon noticed that the wife spent almost all day, everyday in the backyard, scratching at the ground with her feet, and clucking like a chicken.

I finally had to ask the man about it, and he reluctantly admitted that his wife thought she was a chicken. I asked if he'd thought about finding a good psychiatrist.

"I have thought about it," he said, "but to be perfectly honest, I just don't have much money to spare, we have four kids to raise, and, well, we really need the eggs."

I have family, too, and I really need the eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.