need advice on wether i should put something in story

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
I am starting to outline and write a story about a samurai, starting when he is young, I have been reading a lot about samurai, and I came across the shudo relationship that a lot of times a young samurai and his mentor that is training him. there is a sexual aspect to it but its a lot deeper. It seems like a lot of people find homosexual behavior taboo. I wont go into detail about their sexual aspects, but It will be mentioned in my book.
do you think it will turn people away from reading? or should I go ahead and write about it since it was very common back then among the bushi class.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
There are some people that find homosexual stuff offensive . But if your not one of them , I think you should write the story you want to write and not worry about other peoples limitations .

Last edited:

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't care, to each their own. I just was wondering if it was to taboo to write. thanks for the advice.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Never, ever leave anything out because you're afraid it might offend someone. Being a writer means telling the truth as you see it, and, of course, accepting the consequences.

Even if something like this offended me to death, I'd feel worse about leaving it out than putting it in.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what's been said. Don't leave it out for fear of offending. And don't play it up in hopes of titillating. If a mentor and samurai trainee's relationship was a deep one, of which one aspect was sexual, then say so.

Maryn, not a fan of self-censoring in fiction

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chiming in with more agreement here -- and it sounds like a fascinating story. In fact, the sexual under/overtones and even perhaps some overt mention, if not heavy-handed, could really make the story sing, in my opinion.

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
ok thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice, I will leave it in my story.

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
ok, that's what I thought I just didn't know if it was too taboo in todays society. that was a major part of the older samurai and younger samurai that he mentored relationship. not just sexual but it went on a much deeper level. thanks for the advice guys. yall have been so great at answering my questions and have been so nice

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
ok, that's what I thought I just didn't know if it was too taboo in todays society. that was a major part of the older samurai and younger samurai that he mentored relationship. not just sexual but it went on a much deeper level. thanks for the advice guys. yall have been so great at answering my questions and have been so nice

Writers who are willing to tell the truth are how things stop being taboo.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I concur with all the advice stated above about subject matter.

But one of the first things you should put into your story is proper spelling and punctuation. It will help when you submit to an editor.

It also helps in posts on this site.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.