Are your stories too similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
How different your short stories from each other? Does it ever seem like you are just telling variations of the same story? Someone recently told me my main characters are all pretty much the same, and because most of my stories are in first person, the voice sounds the same. I was upset about this, and now I'm worried it might be true. The person who told me this said it's not a bad thing. Is it a bad thing? How do I fix this?

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I tend to have stories with similar characters without names.

I recently decided to merge them, for a deeper arc. A novella was born.

In other words, don't distress if they are similar. You might have a novella on your hands.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
How different your short stories from each other? Does it ever seem like you are just telling variations of the same story? Someone recently told me my main characters are all pretty much the same, and because most of my stories are in first person, the voice sounds the same. I was upset about this, and now I'm worried it might be true. The person who told me this said it's not a bad thing. Is it a bad thing? How do I fix this?

Some of my stories sound like other, some do not. It depends on the story, and who the protagonist is.

Whether it's a bad thing depends primarily on how good the stories are. If they're good enough to sell, no problem. Some writers use the same main characters in story after story for years. If you'rewriting a series character, sounding the same is good.

That said, most writers like to mix things up. Th first step is to stop using main characters who are the same as they were in the last story, or the story before that. Use young people, old people, men, women, children, etc. Use people in different professions, from different parts of the country, on and on. No two people are the same, and no two main characters should sound the same, either. Even two characters who are both professors at Harvard, or who are both police officers, should not sound exactly the same. We each have our own vocabulary, our own sense of humor, our own speech mannerisms, and you have to bring these out. It takes a lot of thought, and it takes knowing who the character is.

As for stories, use different settings, vary the humor, change up the plots, take left turns and surprise the reader. Use characters who are as different as the setting, etc.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's easy to fall into. I recall a sorta-friend I used to have whose stories drove me nuts because they were all "poor lovely woman is mistreated by the evil man in her life." One way around getting into a rut (if it's a "rut" you don't want) is to use writing exercises and prompts. Look for challenges to write things that are different from your usual stuff in some way.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I don't write short stories, but my novels tend to be too DIFFERENT, rather than too similar.

Hard to 'establish a brand' when I'm writing totally different things all the time...

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Some of my stories sound like other, some do not. It depends on the story, and who the protagonist is.

Whether it's a bad thing depends primarily on how good the stories are. If they're good enough to sell, no problem. Some writers use the same main characters in story after story for years. If you'rewriting a series character, sounding the same is good.

That said, most writers like to mix things up. Th first step is to stop using main characters who are the same as they were in the last story, or the story before that. Use young people, old people, men, women, children, etc. Use people in different professions, from different parts of the country, on and on. No two people are the same, and no two main characters should sound the same, either. Even two characters who are both professors at Harvard, or who are both police officers, should not sound exactly the same. We each have our own vocabulary, our own sense of humor, our own speech mannerisms, and you have to bring these out. It takes a lot of thought, and it takes knowing who the character is.

As for stories, use different settings, vary the humor, change up the plots, take left turns and surprise the reader. Use characters who are as different as the setting, etc.

I thought I was doing all that. The settings and plots are always different, but I think what the main character wants in a big picture way might similar and also the voice. I don't know. I almost wish a I hadn't been told this. It is throwing me off a bit and making me second guess myself.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I was doing all that. The settings and plots are always different, but I think what the main character wants in a big picture way might similar and also the voice. I don't know. I almost wish a I hadn't been told this. It is throwing me off a bit and making me second guess myself.

Are the settings really different, or just not the same? Different" should mean a setting the editor won't see from anyone else if he lives to be a hundred.

Are all your stories about what the main character wants? All main characters should have goal, but "wants" should be used loosely. A police officer has nothing personal tied up in a case, nor does an attorney. They just want to do what they get paid to do.

Some people just want to be left alone, but some problem keeps getting in the way of this.

Some people have goal. Saving a house from the bank after a job loss. Making the Big leagues. Finding the right mate.

Voice is the kind of story you tell, and what that story has to say. Style is how you tell the story. Change both up. Write a story where the bad guy wins. Write a story from the POV of a six year old. Use the POV of a dog or monkey that has been genetically altered to have a high IQ, and escapes from the lab.

Just change it up. Practice doing everything in a different way from story to story. Once you've done this a few times, I think you'll start thinking of quirky, unusual characters first, and suitable stories will follow.

Type40Human

Registered
Reaction score
I think that'd bug me too much to reuse something I'd written before, so anyone else potentially reading my stuff may not enjoy that either? Just my thoughts on that.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think that'd bug me too much to reuse something I'd written before, so anyone else potentially reading my stuff may not enjoy that either? Just my thoughts on that.

Well series settings and series characters are extremely popular, even in short stories, but outside of this, I do think it's best to avoid too many similarities.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I guess there's only one way to find out for sure. You get your stories published and if readers begin to complain that your stories are too similar then it may be time to change things around ;-)

And honestly. While stories you write may seem very similar, to you,they may not to readers. It's hard to say for sure how they'll be received. Letting readers decide may not a bad way to go.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does it ever seem like you are just telling variations of the same story?

YES

*sob*

*bangs bathroom door into face repeatedly*

*eats a shoebox with poop in it*

I don't know how to fix it. Let me know if you figure it out? *totally isn't desperate or anything*

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
Does it ever seem like you are just telling variations of the same story?

I used to unconsciously cannibalize bits of my previous stories all the time! Everything ended up very similar and it drove me crazy.

I outline my stories now, though, and it seems to help. I still have a tendency to drift into the path of least resistance when I start, but since I'm outlining first, I can usually spot the similarities before they become too ingrained in the fabric of the story.

I find it's nice to have an outline stage because you can look at the bones of the story and go, "No, this is Story X's theme all over again, but with Story Y's character type. Pick a new direction."

With me, it allows me to be more conscious of my choices early on. If I force myself to pick a new solution to my character's problems, I usually end up finding a plot I like much better than the threadbare one I pulled out of my Familiar Yarn closet.

Everyone's mileage varies, but I would suggest, just for a try, you write a story where you ignore all your first instincts. Whatever detail comes to you first is off limits. First person? Nope, try again. A character of X gender? Spin the wheel, pick a new gender. Always choose a different idea than the one off the top of your head. The story might not turn out--it might even be a giant ugly mess--but maybe it'll shake up your idea box. After all, it's guaranteed to turn out something different from your norm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.