Magazines or journals that publish memoir shorts?

sense

Registered
Reaction score
Recently I've been thinking about trying to submit a memoir short or a chapter from my memoir to magazines or journals that might be receptive to this kind of stuff.

Anybody else contemplated, researched, or tried this? What are the pros and cons? Also, what are some magazines/journals that publish them?

sense

Registered
Reaction score
Short memoir? Any mags, journals publish these?

I'm writing a memoir and maybe I'm just being impatient, but I've been wondering lately if it would be possible to submit a chapter or a memoir short to a magazine or journal that may be receptive to this kind of stuff.

Anybody know the pros and cons to doing this (with regards to later trying to publish the memoir in its entirety)? Also, anybody know what the best titles are of mags or journals that are open to memoir?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've tried it without success. Except: I am sometimes asked to write something for the local newspaper. I don't get paid for it, but I do get exposure.

Primary problem: Paying markets are hard to get into, and markets that are easier to get into don't usually pay.

If you can get a short piece published in a paying market, and if that paying market is prestigious, that does bode well for the successful of your ms. But it isn't necessary.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oh, yes, there's a sticky with info on markets in this forum. Probably hasn't been updated for awhile, since this neck of the AW woods is rather untravelled. But it would be a start.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
I had something that was sort of a short (very short) version of my memoir published on a well-traveled website. When I finally got a contract, my publisher had no problem with that. Timing is important though. I don't know if I'd want to pub my best writing on the subject out there until it can be used for the promotion of the about-to-be-published book. Does that make sense? That's just me though.

I've also heard of people getting published in Guideposts or Reader's Digest and having a publisher or agent contact them after reading the article. So, I guess, like everything in this biz -- there are many ways to go about it. ~Karen