• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sinister Grin Press

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Sinister Grin Press is running a contest.

The rules resemble American Idol or Survivor: A few chapters go up per week, and once a week the chapters with the fewest votes gets eliminated. Round robin format. Winner gets a contract, an advance, and royalties: no specifics on those.

I'm not familiar with this press, but Mama Lily wants to take care of her Horror Hounds.

Anyone familiar with these folks? Thanks.

Last edited:

Lordofthehunt

Registered
Reaction score
These folks are small but well connected and doing all the right things. They're more on the extreme side, but are great people.

Lordofthehunt

Registered
Reaction score
Lordofthehunt, that sounds great, but I was hoping for specifics. Do they have books in stores? How's their distribution? The usual questions. :)

Yeah, sorry, I know that wasn't helpful. I'm not sure if they have books in stores (though I don't believe so) but their lineup and talent are pros such as Jack Ketchum, Wrath James White, Lee Thomas, Shane McKenzie, and Nate Southard.

They've reasonable sales numbers on Amazon, have quality covers and editing, and are very supportive of their authors. They are a small press, and are limited as such, but they're a good outfit.

Sorry I can't provide much more than cheerleading.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
There was a very good question asked on their forum. Paraphrasing since I don't want to quote a message from another site: since the entries will be posted online so that both the judges and the public get a vote, how will that effect "first rights" since it's being "published" on the website? To view the actual question - http://deaditepress.yuku.com/topic/848/Fresh-Meat-Writing-Contest-Questions#.UcPDXBZC-5A

A very good question, that. It was posted 2 days ago with no answer yet, but time settings on fora can be odd things. Adding that I'm really not familiar with the horror genre, but that was an interesting question. I'm looking forward to the answer.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
So let me see if I've got this straight. They don't usually take unsolicited submissions (couldn't find info on it) so they're doing a contest for horror. Submit the first three chapters of an UNFINISHED manuscript and if they like it they will choose it for a public contest where they sugest what they want to see in the next three chapters, which you then write in a week. They eliminate until there is only one left. The last one they publish no matter what.

Its the "work in progress" thing that gets me. Maybe I misunderstood?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They did answer on the forum that the posting/reading would be password-protected. Was supposed to start in Nov, but I'm not finding any announcement of contestants, etc.

Link to home page: http://sinistergrinpress.com/